Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Rant: Snooty Windows Users

Rant: Snooty Windows Users
KittyKatLover1211
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2011, 12:17 PM

Just wanted to share a story about one of my all knowing professors. Hes a Diehard Windows user, the first day of class, I crack open my MacBook, The man sees it, runs over and says Macs are dead, get that steaming pile of SH**T out of my classroom, Of course we exchanged words, I walked out, came back the following week and sat in the back of the classroom where he couldnt see my MacBook , ever since that outburst, He now asks if anyone in the class uses Macs or Apple Products, and if you use any Apple stuff then you are told that you are not welcome in the classroom.

Fast foward to now. Im in my A+ Certification Class, which is full of diehard windows users, Im the only apple guy, and talk about getting treated cold, Same goes for the wifi class. I try to avoid all Apple debates in these classes because I usually get blasted because they are the majority. I was even told today by some 18 year old kid that good old microsoft owns 51 percent of apple . and that the only reason apple exists is because bill gates allows it to. Seems most windows users I encounter are snooty, mean and love to start a fight

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2011, 12:25 PM

Here I was thinking that maybe you fire bombed his house while he and his kin were sleeping.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

KittyKatLover1211  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2011, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Here I was thinking that maybe you fire bombed his house while he and his kin were sleeping.
Nah but i put a couple of rainbow apple stickers on the back of his Prius

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2011, 12:39 PM

People on my campus act the same way, except for it's 90% of the students have an Apple notebook and the 10% of PC users feel like they need to be on the offensive for some reason. I don't understand why this argument is still going on. The way some people defend themselves, you'd think you were calling them serial killers or something.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2011, 12:49 PM

What a tool.

-t

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2011, 12:54 PM

I would take it up with the school. Demand your money back for the class and file a formal complaint.

Your choice of computer should have no bearing on whether or not you are welcome in a classroom. You're paying money to be there and learn. He's not fulfilling his end of the bargain. Unless his job is to teach you that there are a lot of irrational @$$holes out there. In which case, he's the Jaime Escalante of *********s.

YOU CAN DOO EET!

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2011, 01:18 PM

Report him for harassment. That sh!t is not cool.

I wouldn't bother arguing with Windows zealots. They tend to know little about Apple, and know a great many falsehoods. "Microsoft owns Apple" is believed by many people, for instance. I had to set my own sister, aunt, and brother-in-law straight on that one.

Thorzdad
Feb 24, 2011, 01:30 PM

Sadly, these attitudes and beliefs persist, especially in the IT world. Even today, you still run across techs who will tell you with absolute certainty that Apple is about to go out of business any day now.

KittyKatLover1211  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2011, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I would take it up with the school. Demand your money back for the class and file a formal complaint.

Your choice of computer should have no bearing on whether or not you are welcome in a classroom. You're paying money to be there and learn. He's not fulfilling his end of the bargain. Unless his job is to teach you that there are a lot of irrational @$$holes out there. In which case, he's the Jaime Escalante of *********s.

YOU CAN DOO EET!
Tried that, complaints at our school get put in the shredder, its a local community college, pretty big in size. For a school that hates macs, the Bookstore sure sells alot of mac accessories

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2011, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Sadly, these attitudes and beliefs persist, especially in the IT world. Even today, you still run across techs who will tell you with absolute certainty that Apple is about to go out of business any day now.
Wow, I didn't think that kind of propaganda still existed.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2011, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by KittyKatLover1211 View Post
Tried that, complaints at our school get put in the shredder, its a local community college, pretty big in size.
Oh the joys of government-run education. Even a f*cking idiot can make a high-paid living and doesn't need to fear retribution for the most irrate behavior.

Only in gubmint land

-t

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2011, 03:17 PM

You could have told him that you're paying his ****ing salary, therefore you're HIS boss so shut the **** up.

KittyKatLover1211  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2011, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
You could have told him that you're paying his ****ing salary, therefore you're HIS boss so shut the **** up.
LOL and then youd see me hauled away by our campus cops AKA Rent a cops down to the campus security station That should go over well.

andi*pandi
Feb 24, 2011, 03:41 PM

Why the heck should it matter. Any teacher that blows up like that sounds like he's ready to go postal. Yikes.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2011, 04:19 PM

Those than can, do. Those that can't, teach.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2011, 05:13 PM

What school is this?
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 24, 2011, 06:13 PM

Yale.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 24, 2011, 06:19 PM

Yale Community College.

Madison
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 24, 2011, 06:44 PM

Those that can't teach, teach gym, am I right?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 24, 2011, 07:05 PM

Greendale.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2011, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Oh the joys of government-run education. Even a f*cking idiot can make a high-paid living and doesn't need to fear retribution for the most irrate behavior.
Yeah. I mean, look what happened to Bank of America. After helping to run our country's economy into the shitcan, their CEO was fired... oh wait.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2011, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by cjrivera View Post
What school is this?
Central University of Northern Tennessee.

hayesk
Feb 24, 2011, 09:53 PM

Tried that, complaints at our school get put in the shredder
Too late now, but if he said that to me, I'd have asked him to point out the Windows PC requirement for taking the class. I'd also ask him why does he care what kind of computer I use?

If he was still being an ass about it, I'd then bring up that people tend to lash out because of feelings of insecurity or inadequacy. I'd then ask him why he is threatened by my MacBook, and if he said then he is not threatened by it, then I'd say, well then you shouldn't have an issue with me using it then.

Cold Warrior
Feb 24, 2011, 10:01 PM

Find his computer and haxintosh it?

Salty
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2011, 10:11 PM

Dude I'd totally do my best to get a real bad virus on his computer.

I'd also point out that Apple is tops for build quality right up with ASUS, and that if he knew jack about computers he'd understand the benefits and drawbacks of both platforms and not be such a tool about things.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 24, 2011, 11:09 PM

His behavior is not only unacceptable, it's a display of immaturity on an epic scale. I say this as a former member of the faculty of the largest community college in the world, The Community College of the Air Force. And since when do community colleges have "professors?" Many instructors at community colleges are just working on their masters' degrees-sheesh.

Your community college has a local board. It's got elected members. You should immediately point out that the way your school is run establishes a hostile educational environment, and diminishes your tax-supported education. This sort of approach has often gotten LOTS of action.

Preferences are one thing, but encouraging hostility and ostracism while allowing faculty members to act like some medieval prince is unacceptable in any educational institution, especially one that is supposed to HELP students achieve practical and useful educational goals.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Phileas
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2011, 10:51 AM

Only in gubmint land

-t
Same's true for the majority of schools, government or not. Once you've got tenure, you've got immunity.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2011, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Dude I'd totally do my best to get a real bad virus on his computer.

I'd also point out that Apple is tops for build quality right up with ASUS, and that if he knew jack about computers he'd understand the benefits and drawbacks of both platforms and not be such a tool about things.
Mostly because ASUS puts together quite a few of Apple's laptops.

Now that I've been in the IT world for a few years:

Microsoft got where they were by making it easy to provision and manage Windows. That's just about it. Active Directory >>>>>>> Open Directory. It's just unreal how much better Windows administration tools are, and I say this as a devout Mac lover.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 25, 2011, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob View Post
Mostly because ASUS puts together quite a few of Apple's laptops.

Now that I've been in the IT world for a few years:

Microsoft got where they were by making it easy to provision and manage Windows. That's just about it. Active Directory >>>>>>> Open Directory. It's just unreal how much better Windows administration tools are, and I say this as a devout Mac lover.

Active Directory = Open Directory with some fairly minor modifications. It's the Microsoft tools and all of the integration that makes AD so good there.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2011, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
It's the Microsoft tools and all of the integration that makes ____ so good there.
How many words can accurately fill that blank?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2011, 09:17 AM

Monkeyboy ?

-t

Montezuma58
Senior User
Feb 26, 2011, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
Central University of Northern Tennessee.

macforray
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2011, 03:55 PM

I remember a lot of Chevy, Ford and Chrysler owners saying and doing similar things back in the early 70's when the Toyotas, Hondas and Datsuns were starting to be very popular. Some people just cannot embrace change and differing opinions.
macforray

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2011, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by cjrivera View Post
What school is this?
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Yale.
WHAT

SCHOOL

IS

THIS

allcaps

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2011, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by macforray View Post
I remember a lot of Chevy, Ford and Chrysler owners saying and doing similar things back in the early 70's when the Toyotas, Hondas and Datsuns were starting to be very popular. Some people just cannot embrace change and differing opinions.
And then again in the '90s when the Japanese tapped into the luxury market. "Who'd pay $60,000 for a Toyota?"

And now as full size Japanese trucks are starting to break into the American market.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2011, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
And now as full size Japanese trucks are starting to break into the American market.
And now what ?

-t

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2011, 02:43 AM

When i was in my undergraduate program (Comp Sci), i was the only guy who had a Mac. The platform of choice was Solaris and Linux, so guess who had the upper hand and dint have to constantly telnet to do assignments. Most of the profs didnt take Macs seriously (Windows had more respect). But luckily for me, the art, chem, physics, math, departments and many others were Mac havens. most of the windows in the Math building had B&W G3s ...beautiful .

Soon enough I met other Mac users in the department and we sort of hung out together.

That professor of yours sounds like a tool. My suggestion..... ignore him, if he starts talking about Apple/Mac just give him a big silent grin, or say something like... "I'd be as bitter as you as well if i hadnt invested in Apple stock 10 years ago" or "hows MSFT working out for you ? ".

But yeah i do notice that attitude from Wintard a lot in the professional world, and it seems to have gotten a lot worse recently, im guessing due to the iPhone and iPad (walk into class with a shiny iPad ).... but personally (and i do not recommend this), i do not back down from a debate.

Stand your ground, do not pick a debate, get your work done better and faster, and be satisfied that thats what makes your platform better. And yes file complaints with the college, from your description he might penalize you unfairly on your grades, and thats just favoritism.

Cheers

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2011, 03:06 AM

And now what ?

-t
Actually after posting that I read some more and some people don't believe there's much hope for the Japanese trucks.

They found that GM and Ford truck owners, for instance, are more likely to dine at Cracker Barrel (CBRL) restaurants, have dial-up Internet, and use the paper Yellow Pages, according to purchase data from Nielsen Claritas. A much higher share of buyers of Toyota's big pickup dine at steakhouses, shop online, own golf clubs, and subscribe to magazines like Runner's World, the Nielsen data show. "Toyota planned for a [truck] market that really didn't exist," says Alan L. Baum, an auto analyst at Baum & Associates. "They just didn't hit a chord with buyers. It was almost comical."
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...9024791233.htm

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 28, 2011, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Yeah right. Tell that to a Ph.D with a multimillion dollar NIH research grant.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2011, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
Same's true for the majority of schools, government or not. Once you've got tenure, you've got immunity.
Except when the school board fires you.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2011, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by colling3g4 View Post
yeah right. Tell that to a ph.d with a multimillion dollar nih research grant.
lmfao.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 28, 2011, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by CollinG3G4 View Post
Yeah right. Tell that to a Ph.D with a multimillion dollar NIH research grant.
The PhD in your situation can't teach because he/she has too much to do with the research. TAs, grad students, and others actually do the majority of presentations in such cases so the "money maker" PhD stays in the lab. It's slightly worse when the researcher is a dual MD/PhD; some of them make appearances in class now and then as if they should have an entourage of palm wavers and flower petal sprinklers. Only a few of them do that, but it's enough to blight the image.

And most of the time such researchers don't even touch a computer; they dictate summaries and stay in the lab with their research work.

On the other hand, people doing "applied" research, such as in psychology, usually have to do all the work themselves, or at least with significant hands-on management and supervision of their grad students.

My grad school is really well mixed in platforms, and (at least they did when I was there), all the dentist students got all their texts digitally - with their new MBPs.

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 28, 2011, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
The PhD in your situation can't teach because he/she has too much to do with the research. TAs, grad students, and others actually do the majority of presentations in such cases so the "money maker" PhD stays in the lab.
Sorry, but that isn't always the case.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2011, 10:52 PM

Just wanted to share a story about one of my all knowing professors. Hes a Diehard Windows user, the first day of class, I crack open my MacBook, The man sees it, runs over and says Macs are dead, get that steaming pile of SH**T out of my classroom, Of course we exchanged words, I walked out, came back the following week and sat in the back of the classroom where he couldnt see my MacBook , ever since that outburst, He now asks if anyone in the class uses Macs or Apple Products, and if you use any Apple stuff then you are told that you are not welcome in the classroom.
I am sorry to hear that you go to college in 1998.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 28, 2011, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by CollinG3G4 View Post
Sorry, but that isn't always the case.
It is, however not "never" the case. I went to a large medical school with tons of researchers running on NIH and CDC grants, and they worked very much the way I described. As do most of the researchers in the other research schools in the same university system.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2011, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
I am sorry to hear that you go to college in 1998.
Back with a zinger!

Forum Links
Forum Rules