Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS Installation problems "cannot run on your computer"

OS Installation problems "cannot run on your computer"
HankG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2002, 05:41 AM

I've got a 7500/100 with an XLR8 G3-333 upgrade. Currently 8.6 is installed, but I'd like to be running OS 9.1

I've got an installation CD, but whenever I try to install it, it tells me "this program cannot run on your computer" This drove me nuts for a while because I couldn't figure out what was going on. I did a google.com search and found a couple posts where people have stated that this happens sometimes because the Installation CD was made for a different computer. Not that my computer can't take OS 9.1, but that the particular CD that I've got won't do the upgrade.

Is this correct? And is there any way/hack/tweak that will let me do the install from this 9.1 cd?
Thanks

George Orville
Forum Regular
May 3, 2002, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by HankG:
<STRONG>I've got a 7500/100 with an XLR8 G3-333 upgrade. Currently 8.6 is installed,
but I'd like to be running OS 9.1

I've got an installation CD, but whenever I try to install it, it tells me
"this program cannot run on your computer"

Thanks</STRONG>
It looks like you have a CD that was made for another computor.... You will need
a CD that is a Retail Version

bigbiker
bigbiker

DrBoar
Senior User
May 3, 2002, 04:20 PM

Have you tried reintalling the original 601/100 CPU card and then run the installer on the stock 7500/100??

If the installer does not recognize the stock 7500 then you have "aquired" a computer specific 9.1 not a retail version.

HankG  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2002, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by George Orville:
<STRONG> It looks like you have a CD that was made for another computor....</STRONG>
Indeed, I don't think they made an OS 9.1 install CD for the PowerMac 7500

I found a Usenet post that claimed by copying the System Folder to the HD and then running "restore" that it would install on the drive anyway, but it didn't work for me. I was hoping that there was some way to trick it into installing.

FWIW, I did buy the CD thinking that it would work and now it looks like I'm out of luck.

Hey, what if I took the hard drive to a different computer (one that will accept the CD) installed the OS there and then moved the HD back to my PowerMac, would that work?
Thanks

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
May 3, 2002, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by HankG:
<STRONG>

Hey, what if I took the hard drive to a different computer (one that will accept the CD) installed the OS there and then moved the HD back to my PowerMac, would that work?
Thanks</STRONG>
No, you have a CD made for ONLY one model of an Apple computer. That means that your CD works only in that revison of the computer it came with. So any later or earlier versions won't accept it either, much less the 7500. In other words... if that CD was made for a G4 500MHz tower model it wont work in a G4 400MHz model or even a 733 G4 tower.

If you want to install 9 onto the 7500 you need to buy a retail version of the OS. Its a white CD with a yellow 9 on it. Don't but 9.2 since the 7500 can't run it.

You got ripped off.

firefly
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2002, 06:13 PM

I was able to use the OS 8 cd that came with my G3 on other macs by manually opening the installer in Software Installers - System Software folder. Maybe there is a similar way on your CD - a dug down installer that will work on any machine (so it bypasses the script that tells the installer it can't install) - worth a shot checking anyway.

HankG  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2002, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by firefly:
<STRONG>I was able to use the OS 8 cd that came with my G3 on other macs by manually opening the installer in Software Installers - System Software folder. Maybe there is a similar way on your CD - a dug down installer that will work on any machine (so it bypasses the script that tells the installer it can't install) - worth a shot checking anyway.</STRONG>
Thanks for the reply firefly, that's similar to what I had read about on Usenet. Honestly I haven't had a chance to even get back to it. My mac is just a side hobby for me right now, but I'll poke around the CD when I get a chance.

And actually, I e-mailed the guy who sold me the machine specific CD and he said he'd try and help me out or get me a retail copy instead.

Thanks

v8q
May 10, 2002, 03:21 PM

I think you can copy all the disk install images from the install CDs to hard disk, and use disk copy to make a big disk image - from which you can just copy out the system folder and any other bits you want. That will probably only work though if you are installing to another partition.

Forum Links
Forum Rules