Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > Scott Stevenson lavishes DL2 GUI with praise

Scott Stevenson lavishes DL2 GUI with praise
hmurchison2001
Senior User
May 7, 2007, 06:06 PM

Theocacao: New Entries for Apple Design Awards 2007

In this topic about potential Apple Design Award winners Scott Stevenson says this about DL2.

Originally Posted by Scott Stevenson
I saved the best for last. Delicious Library 2 does walk amongst us, but it hasn't been shown the general public yet. I've seen it and, simply put, the Delicious guys don't mess around. I'm looking forward to this app for three reasons. One, it's going to be an awesome app for me personally. Two, it's going make Windows users want Macs, and Tiger users want Leopard. Three, it's going to be a major eye-opener for Mac developers.

This last point is important. Whatever you thought was state-of-the-art in Tiger is going to be blown to bits with all of the new API available in Leopard. You'll have Delicious Monster to thank for hacking a path through the jungle for you. The bar is going to be raised even higher for a top-tier Mac app, though, so be ready.
So...does that whet your apetite? It does mine. I can't wait for this app. Well, yes I can..I want DL2 shipped when it's ready. It's going to get heavy use from me.
http://hmurchison.blogspot.com/ highly opinionated ramblings free of charge :)

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2007, 07:21 PM

1. Yeah. What a tease.

2. Excellent job on the spelling of "whet."

EDIT: 3. Whoa, Wil just gave Scott permission to spill the beans. Where's that popcorn smily?
( Last edited by Chuckit; May 8, 2007 at 03:00 AM. )
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

brokenjago
Mac Elite
May 8, 2007, 04:57 AM

EDIT: 3. Whoa, Wil just gave Scott permission to spill the beans. Where's that popcorn smily?
/me takes his seat next to ChuckIt

Pass the soda.
Linkinus is king.

hmurchison2001  (op)
Senior User
May 8, 2007, 04:41 PM

Beam me up Scotty. Throw us a bone or two

Feynman
Forum Regular
May 8, 2007, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by hmurchison2001 View Post
Beam me up Scotty. Throw us a bone or two
I have a feeling we're not going to see any more teasers for another thirty-five days

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 8, 2007, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Feynman View Post
I have a feeling we're not going to see any more teasers for another thirty-five days
Jigga who? Wil gave him permission. Is Scott in a a 35-day coma or something?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Feynman
Forum Regular
May 9, 2007, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
But notice Wil never gave him a public timeframe he could give those details so I bet he wrote him an email saying he can spill the beans after they show it off at WWDC
( Last edited by Feynman; May 9, 2007 at 04:07 PM. )

Feynman
Forum Regular
May 14, 2007, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Some teaser huh? lol

Come on Wil and Mike, give us something to drool about!

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2007, 11:00 AM

I can't speak for Scott, or, at the moment, for Wil, but I thought I would add a little to the discourse.

The problem with talking about Delicious Library 2 is actually two-fold.

Yes, there is the fear of stepping on our toes. Wil's permission to Scott was to alleviate that particular pressure. There were no secret caveats on time or anything like that. The only restrictions were on a few secret cool features we've come up with that we'd like to remain secret before we debut, because otherwise people can copy them before we release and claim, at least in the court of as-far-as-people-know, to have invented them.

Even with permission from Wil, you still have to worry about Apple. Even we are restricted in talking about Delicious Library because in doing so we are indirectly talking about Leopard, which is a minefield of non-disclosure nobody wants to traverse lightly. I imagine that's why Scott didn't exactly jump on the chance to get the scoop on Delicious Library 2.

I, for one, hope that WWDC will lift some of this fog. Believe me, for all the work we've put into this, I want to tell you as much as you want to hear it.

--Mike
( Last edited by Delicious Monster; May 16, 2007 at 11:01 AM. Reason: I suppose I should define who "I" is.)

hmurchison2001  (op)
Senior User
May 16, 2007, 11:52 AM

I can wait to see more features. Just knowing that you all are utilizing Leopard goodness makes me feel good about DL2.

Feynman
Forum Regular
May 16, 2007, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by hmurchison2001 View Post
I can wait to see more features. Just knowing that you all are utilizing Leopard goodness makes me feel good about DL2.
From what Mike just stated it seems like DL2 is going to take advantage of nearly everything Leopard will have to offer to programmers

Twenty six days and counting

hmurchison2001  (op)
Senior User
May 22, 2007, 09:53 AM

http://theocacao.com/document.page/471

Delicious Library 2 will allow you to automatically export your library to the web, meaning instead of just you looking at your shelves, everyone else on the web can see them, and the contents is automatically updated as you go. Now that's just the what of the feature. It's the how that's really going to please. This is true Delicious-flavored stuff — nothing less than the exceptional.

There's more hints. Check out the link

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2007, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Feynman View Post
From what Mike just stated it seems like DL2 is going to take advantage of nearly everything Leopard will have to offer to programmers

Twenty six days and counting
Don't forget though that Leopard is delayed. You'll see the features, but you won't be able to use them until October. Damn you Apple!

hmurchison2001  (op)
Senior User
May 22, 2007, 10:53 AM

Man less than a month away from WWDC. I'm stoked...I just want to know what's in Leopard and let the discussion commence.

DL2 is a must for me. I want to see native support for HD DVD and Blu-ray titles, Web display(confirmed now) and iTunes integration is the cream on top. Plus let me backup my data easily.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
May 22, 2007, 12:49 PM

As far as I know, HD DVD and Blu-Ray integration is all but confirmed. We even looked up the box art and gave it to Mike to help him out!
Linkinus is king.

Kickaha
Forum Regular
May 22, 2007, 03:59 PM

I still have only one need that DL doesn't satisfy, but it's a doozy: comics. I understand the main blocking factor* is lack of a decent public database... there are a couple of companies though that have DBs that might do the trick:

Collectorz.com has flat out stated twice now in response to my requests that they have no interest in doing a Mac port. They do, however, have a nice database. Problem is, it exists to sell the software. They would likely want compensation for access. Bad.

Comiccollectorlive.com is more interesting - they give away the software, so no conflict of interest there. They also have a user-support database that looks pretty good. They make their revenue off of a cut of their marketplace action through their community. They may be open to allowing DL to access the database if it brings in more community members...

With >10k issues and growing, I am long past the point of needing a good database.

*I understand that the other is that UPC codes are not issue specific, but title-specific. I would be *more* than happy with that, if there were a way to simply and easily increment the issue number from last entered. Author, artist, etc info could then be snagged from the DB based on title and issue. Cripes, I'd be ecstatic if I had to just manually enter an issue number, if the rest were automatic.

Forum Links
Forum Rules