Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Damn PRAM

Damn PRAM
davidaronson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2010, 07:57 AM

Hi. I've got a G5 with a 10.3.9 system, so it's no surprise perhaps that it's slowing down. But when I try to zap it with the PRAM maneuver, the machine just turns on, ignoring the command. Any ideas?

Thanks,
David

He's dead Jim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2010, 09:17 AM

this is nothing to do with resetting pram. but it may help ??
How to reset the SMU on a Power Mac G5 (Late 2004) or Power Mac G5 (Late 2005)

P
Jun 16, 2010, 09:49 AM

Are you using a wireless keyboard, perhaps? That won't work for PRAM resets, at least on most machines.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2010, 12:23 PM

If you have an Open Firmware password set, you won't be able to zap the PRAM until you disable it.
Vandelay Industries

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 16, 2010, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Are you using a wireless keyboard, perhaps? That won't work for PRAM resets, at least on most machines.
Given that Macs haven't had PRAM in the strict sense for years and years, that's not surprising! (No Mac with Bluetooth has "classic" PRAM.)

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2010, 01:32 PM

To go about this from a different angle, I'd be willing to bet that zapping your PRAM will have absolutely no bearing on your machine's performance. I think you're barking up the wrong tree.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 16, 2010, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
To go about this from a different angle, I'd be willing to bet that zapping your PRAM will have absolutely no bearing on your machine's performance. I think you're barking up the wrong tree.
I was thinking the same thing.

Why was it that you wanted to reset the PRAM to begin with, David?

P
Jun 17, 2010, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by tooki View Post
Given that Macs haven't had PRAM in the strict sense for years and years, that's not surprising! (No Mac with Bluetooth has "classic" PRAM.)
I know, but holding the magic key combo still does reset some things.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 17, 2010, 04:28 PM

Nothing useful for the things people think it’s useful for. What does help with some specific symptoms is to reset the SMU, which is a different set of button presses. But like repairing permissions, it’s voodoo 99% of the time. People do it because they want to try something and don’t really know where to begin, so they do that.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2010, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by tooki View Post
Nothing useful for the things people think it’s useful for. What does help with some specific symptoms is to reset the SMU, which is a different set of button presses. But like repairing permissions, it’s voodoo 99% of the time. People do it because they want to try something and don’t really know where to begin, so they do that.
Quoted for truth.

SMU resets and permissions repair are the big things I see people do as voodoo repair before they call me at PUC.

P
Jun 18, 2010, 07:30 AM

I know it's voodoo in most cases (it DID help against the flickering screen on the 27" iMacs), but I'm just answering a question.

Repairing permissions is less than useless.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 18, 2010, 02:33 PM

David, why don't you try downloading the 10.3.9 combo updater (link below) and applying it. That will clean things up and restore the original speed, pretty much. I had a G5, it ran real well on Leopard. Unfortunately it is hard to find a copy unless you want to pay way above the original price on eBay. Also, how much RAM do you have? Anything less than 2 Gigs will choke your machine.

And yes,folks are right about these 'voodoo' practices, but wasn't there a time when everyone of them was useful, and is it not a tribute to Apple's engineers that they are obsolete now

Mac OS X Combined Update 10.3.9

mkerr64
Senior User
Jun 27, 2010, 10:41 PM

how do you reset it with a bluetooth keyboard... i tried using wired but failed in doing so :S
R.I.P Steve Jobs

Forum Links
Forum Rules