Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Monitor as a TV?

Monitor as a TV?
Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2012, 04:54 PM

Good idea?

I live in a small apartment, and space is at a premium. As it's already filled up with too many computers and monitors, I want to find an HD TV I can fit into my bookshelves. All of the small TVs I see which can fit are either non-HD, or 720. However, there are 20" inch 1080p monitors with speakers. As TVs and monitors all seem to be essentially the same things now, are there any downsides to using a monitor as a TV? I know the monitor won't have a tuner, but I have cable, so that's not an issue. I figure all I need is HDMI in and I'm good.

Good idea? Bad idea? Stupid idea? Advantages? Shortcomings?
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jan 1, 2012, 04:56 PM

Totally a good idea.

I'm currently watching Football in a window on my 27" iMac as I type this. I use Elgato's EyeTV along with a SiliconDust HDHomeRun and a pair of cheap RadioShack rabbit ears to stream digital, high-def content to my iMac; EyeTV gives me DVR capabilities. It works really well. Plus any video you record is save in plain old video files that you can do whatever you want with, and EyeTV will automatically encode stuff for AppleTV/iPhone/iPad and export it to iTunes for you.

Don Pickett  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2012, 05:01 PM

I spent a fair amount of time researching El Gato's stuff, but the problem is I live in NYC and Time Warner scrambles their cable signal, which means El Gato can't get at it.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jan 1, 2012, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Don Pickett View Post
I spent a fair amount of time researching El Gato's stuff, but the problem is I live in NYC and Time Warner scrambles their cable signal, which means El Gato can't get at it.
Well that sucks. Another option, if you have a 27" iMac is to get an HDMI to Mini Display Port adapter. I've got one of these that I use for my Xbox 360 as I don't own an actual TV.

This is the one that I have, it works really well: Amazon.com: Kanex XD HDMI to Mini DisplayPort Converter for 27 inch iMac: Electronics

Don Pickett  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2012, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
Well that sucks. Another option, if you have a 27" iMac is to get an HDMI to Mini Display Port adapter. I've got one of these that I use for my Xbox 360 as I don't own an actual TV.

This is the one that I have, it works really well: Amazon.com: Kanex XD HDMI to Mini DisplayPort Converter for 27 inch iMac: Electronics
Good to know.

I'm more thinking of a monitor as a standalone, in addition to my main monitor.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jan 1, 2012, 05:20 PM

Ah, gotcha. As long as you've got a cable box (which you must if it's a scrambled signal) then that should work just fine.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 1, 2012, 05:35 PM

What about going in the opposite direction and using your HDTV as a monitor? My newly built PC doesn't have a graphics card yet, and its integrated video out jack is HDMI. So I connected it to my HDTV to do my initial testing/setup and was very impressed with the quality I got from it. It's also nice to be able to connect to it and get audio through HDMI.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jan 1, 2012, 05:39 PM

The biggest drawback there is resolution. My iMac's at 2560x1440, which is a higher resolution than 1080p. A 27" 1080p TV will mean less desktop space.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 1, 2012, 05:41 PM

Ah, I didn't know iMac resolutions went that high. Cool.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Don Pickett  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2012, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
What about going in the opposite direction and using your HDTV as a monitor? My newly built PC doesn't have a graphics card yet, and its integrated video out jack is HDMI. So I connected it to my HDTV to do my initial testing/setup and was very impressed with the quality I got from it. It's also nice to be able to connect to it and get audio through HDMI.
Because I often have the monitor and TV on at the same time. The monitor I'm looking at now has HDMI, but I can't see the TV and OS X at the same time.

That said, I could see replacing my other widescreen monitor, currently hooked up to my G5, with one that does double duty. I'd just need one which does has HDMU and DVI in.

Forum Links
Forum Rules