Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Quick Start Guide to the New Platform

Quick Start Guide to the New Platform (Page 2)
cgc
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2012, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Threads are unread until you have open that exact thread - they do not timeout after opening the forum the way it used to. There is a button to mark all threads read, however.
The old method (e.g. timeout) was much better and less obtrusive...any way to implement something similar?

He's dead Jim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2012, 08:18 AM

? what in the flipping flying ? this was a surprise. ok something new.
"old and lousy" (not saying to old format was bad) versus "new and improved" ?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2012, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
Threads are unread until you have open that exact thread - they do not timeout after opening the forum the way it used to. There is a button to mark all threads read, however.
The old method (e.g. timeout) was much better and less obtrusive...any way to implement something similar?
Ah no; this is actually something of an improvement IMHO.

Cold Warrior
Jul 8, 2012, 01:54 PM

I also like the no timeout. The old way made it more difficult to find all new posts since last visit. Since I don't really visit during the workday, timeouts that uncolored new posts made it tough to recall where I'd left off the prior evening. This new way is better IMHO.

P
Jul 8, 2012, 01:58 PM

On balance, I prefer the new way. Partially because it really helps with modding (if I get a mail about a post I need to review, I can be in and out without having to read everything new and still not have to miss anything) and partially because the old way conflicted with the Top Sites feature in Safari.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2012, 07:53 AM

The new forum doesn't render right in Safari 3.2. It's basically flat text, and (for example) quote blocks are indistinguishable from non-quoted. The top and bottom of the pages are pretty messed up too.

knifecarrier2
Baninated
Jul 9, 2012, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
This redesign is probably what's going to push me away from the 'NN for good.
I come here to communicate with a small group on a fairly consistent basis in a comfortable environment with an interface that mostly stays out of the way.
The new interace: ugly, intrusive, and unintuitive. Agreed that change for change's sake is terrible.
Yep. It looks like utter shit. Busy, annoying, just... terrible. WHatever. It was dead when the banned all the personality from the forum. This is just the final nail.

P
Jul 9, 2012, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post

The new forum doesn't render right in Safari 3.2.
Do you really mean Safari 3.2, the browser that was released in 2008? Because that browser is pretty far from secure by now, and even Tiger users can upgrade to 4.1. I'm just checking, because if you meant 5.2, that would be a problem, but 3.2 I can more understand.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2012, 11:36 AM

Okay...

I'm still not happy about this in the slightest, but I did figure out that clicking "edit account details" and clicking the "constrain threads to constant width" option considerably helps clean up the formatting.

That said, the biggest problem with the new interface is the clutter. There's clutter absolutely everywhere, and it's very distracting.

knifecarrier2
Baninated
Jul 9, 2012, 12:31 PM

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 9, 2012, 12:31 PM

Needs more jpeg compression.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 9, 2012, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by knifecarrier2 View Post
Yep. It looks like utter shit. Busy, annoying, just... terrible. WHatever. It was dead when the banned all the personality from the forum.
You seem to have convinced yourself of that quite well.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2012, 07:07 PM

[QUOTE name="Uncle Skeleton" url="/t/464803/quick-start-guide-to-the-new-platform/50#post_4176679"]
The new forum doesn't render right in Safari 3.2.
Do you really mean Safari 3.2, the browser that was released in 2008? Because that browser is pretty far from secure by now, and even Tiger users can upgrade to 4.1. I'm just checking, because if you meant 5.2, that would be a problem, but 3.2 I can more understand.
[/quote]
You shouldn't be so dismissive. I don't run Software Update on my hackintosh for obvious reasons, but Apple doesn't provide Safari updates any other way. If you're going to try to make me feel bad for using MacNN forums with an insecure browser, you'll fail. Security is a low priority for this circumstance. But if you're going to decide to stop caring about software that is merely 4 years old just because you expect every user to use your free site securely, then you are a bad developer.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 9, 2012, 07:53 PM

I keep DMGs of Safari versions for easy reinstall and testing. Apple offers them on the support downloads page.

You could also use Software Update, but set it to download the packages rather than install them. Or even just download the Safari installer, unchecking everything else.

P
Jul 9, 2012, 11:55 PM

You shouldn't be so dismissive. I don't run Software Update on my hackintosh for obvious reasons, but Apple doesn't provide Safari updates any other way. If you're going to try to make me feel bad for using MacNN forums with an insecure browser, you'll fail. Security is a low priority for this circumstance. But if you're going to decide to stop caring about software that is merely 4 years old just because you expect every user to use your free site securely, then you are a bad developer.
Your situation is how the Flashback worm spread. They started by infecting unpatched blogging software installations (Wordpress) and then relied on that to spread further. If your browser is insecure, you can get a worm even if you're only browsing sites that you trust.

I can understand if you don't want to run Software update, but at least use Firefox in that case - or the standalone downloads below. The web is moving fast enough that 4 years is an eternity.

As for whether sites should be designed for 4 year old browser, that's maybe a discussion for another time, but I have to be realistic with what we will able to get Huddler to prioritize.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2012, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
I keep DMGs of Safari versions for easy reinstall and testing. Apple offers them on the support downloads page.

You could also use Software Update, but set it to download the packages rather than install them. Or even just download the Safari installer, unchecking everything else.
Nothing there seems to support 10.5.7. I'm not going to launch software update, not even just to peek.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2012, 03:57 AM

Oof.

Not even being able to upgrade to 10.5.8...let alone an even remotely supported OS... is the freedom of Hackint0shing really worth that trouble?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2012, 04:14 AM

User expectations to support antiquated browsers is the bane of browser-based software development.

Uncle Skeleton,
I can't imagine Safari 3.2 not rendering properly is a problem unique to the new MacNN? You must be hitting this problem more and more with major websites. Why don't you just move over to something that you *can* upgrade, like Firefox or Chrome? I would think having usable website rendering would outweigh your preference for any UI differences of Safari over Firefox or Chrome.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2012, 05:33 AM

I'm not sure if this is just due to something on my machine at work, but Chrome in Windows 7 x64 Enterprise is doing something really bizarre - navigation isn't working at all. If I click a link to go to another page, the back button doesn't work.

This doesn't happen in Firefox. It's really, really, really annoying.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2012, 05:38 AM

You should check out the newer hackintosh builds of Snow Leopard. They're supposed to be able to handle Software Updates without killing the entire installation.

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post

User expectations to support antiquated browsers is the bane of browser-based software development.
Uncle Skeleton,
I can't imagine Safari 3.2 not rendering properly is a problem unique to the new MacNN? You must be hitting this problem more and more with major websites. Why don't you just move over to something that you *can* upgrade, like Firefox or Chrome? I would think having usable website rendering would outweigh your preference for any UI differences of Safari over Firefox or Chrome.
The thing is, it's not really that hard to design an attractive website that still works in a variety of older browsers. There is an unhealthy obsession in the web design world with regards to using CSS and very heavy use of JavaScript. It causes more problems than it's worth - keep in mind that this site not only has problems with older browsers, it also is having rendering issues on the iPad, from all the feedback I've seen so far. That can be entirely avoided by keeping the nuts and bolts of the design lightweight and simple. I've done a lot of web design, and I've never had problems making a site usable in old browsers - there might be some funky white space around a few areas, but the screenshot Uncle Skeleton posted is inexcusable.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2012, 06:20 AM

I've noticed another annoying quirk, the new "multiquote" seems to order the posts in a random order(?). It's not chrono, it's not selection order, and it's not alphabetical. Can anyone spot a pattern?

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
You should check out the newer hackintosh builds of Snow Leopard. They're supposed to be able to handle Software Updates without killing the entire installation.
Thanks for the tip. I'm not interested in experimentation, I chose a netbook that had instructions for me, and even then it was more trouble than I'd like, to get it up and running. Now that it is, I would rather leave well-enough alone.

I did this before the MacBook Air 11". If I had it to do again now, I might go for the Air, even though it costs 3 times as much, because the performance would no doubt be nearly 3x as good. Although some advantages of the netbook are swappable batteries and 10.5 compatibility.

[QUOTE name="Wiskedjak" url="/t/464803/quick-start-guide-to-the-new-platform/50#post_4176835"]
Uncle Skeleton,

I can't imagine Safari 3.2 not rendering properly is a problem unique to the new MacNN? You must be hitting this problem more and more with major websites.[/QUOTE]

This is literally the very first time. The only other time I've ever had compatibility issues with Safari 3 has been when I was trying to develop my own javascript to run on a 3rd party page (for personal use/automation), and a newer Safari would have let me execute my own javascript on a frame pointing to another server; it's the only browser I've found that would allow that and I can see why. I wasn't surprised that monkey-business didn't fly.

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Oof.

Not even being able to upgrade to 10.5.8...let alone an even remotely supported OS... is the freedom of Hackint0shing really worth that trouble?
10.5 has been the best version of OS X. 10.6 was a slight downgrade, but it doesn't actively irritate me when I have to use it. 10.7 is a total mess, I can't stand it for more than an hour at a time.

I don't see anything in the 10.5.8 point update that is worth any hand-wringing. The only thing I've found is that I can't upgrade from Office 08 to Office 11, which is not a big deal to me. The flexibility of being able to travel with a netbook-sized OS X box (that runs my perferred big cat) is definitely worth the infinitesimal "trouble" of bearing the shame of my version string ending in "7" instead of "8." Only about once a month do I even remember that it is so.

P
Jul 10, 2012, 06:39 AM

Have you tried installing the 5.0.x version of Safari on the page reader supplied? I know it says 10.5.8, but the installer might not be checking. If nothing else, I think an upgrade to the latest FF will be much faster than Safari 3.x

knifecarrier2
Baninated
Jul 10, 2012, 07:19 AM

Don't worry. If your browser isn't displaying it properly it's probably doing you a favor.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2012, 08:49 AM

I know it says 10.5.8, but the installer might not be checking. If nothing else, I think an upgrade to the latest FF will be much faster than Safari 3.x
It checks. I've also had firefox installed for using secure sites, and it does not seem any faster than Safari 3.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2012, 11:29 AM

.sig_buffer {display: none !important;visibility: hidden !important;} Use a custom style sheet and add this rule to remove the extra space below each post. Helps a bit.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 10, 2012, 12:12 PM

Uncle Skeleton, use a Safari 5 for Leopard installer. Expand it with unpkg.app and place all files manually in the indicated system folders. Safari minimum system requirements from their internal info.plists specify 10.5.0 for all versions up to 5.0.6.

I'd suggest starting with 5.0.0, making a full TM backup, then trying each new one to make sure nothing breaks.

You could also use the Safari 4.1 for Tiger.

P
Jul 10, 2012, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
.sig_buffer {display: none !important;visibility: hidden !important;} Use a custom style sheet and add this rule to remove the extra space below each post. Helps a bit.
andi came up with this exact solution already, but as we said, we can't just drop something like this into a stylesheet - the bug has to be fixed at a deeper level by Huddler, and this is apparently not fast.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2012, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
andi came up with this exact solution already, but as we said, we can't just drop something like this into a stylesheet - the bug has to be fixed at a deeper level by Huddler, and this is apparently not fast.
I'm doing it at the browser level, which solves it for me. I was suggesting other users do the same until a real fix is found.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2012, 09:56 PM

Using a custom style sheet isn't an option I'm iOS devices, which is where it's most obvious that the developers of this forum software don't give a ****.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2012, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Uncle Skeleton, use a Safari 5 for Leopard installer. Expand it with unpkg.app and place all files manually in the indicated system folders. Safari minimum system requirements from their internal info.plists specify 10.5.0 for all versions up to 5.0.6.
I'd suggest starting with 5.0.0, making a full TM backup, then trying each new one to make sure nothing breaks.
You could also use the Safari 4.1 for Tiger.
Better yet, run OS X on Apple hardware and use Software Update. Seriously, a 12" PowerBook is dirt cheap these days.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2012, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Seriously, a 12" PowerBook is dirt cheap these days.
Compared with nothing, aka using what one already owns? Don't be absurd.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2012, 07:06 AM

Seriously, a 12" PowerBook is dirt cheap these days.
Getting punched in the throat with a set of house keys sounds like more fun.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2012, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
And it's free. Why wait ?

-t

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2012, 09:07 AM

Using a 12" PowerBook running an official version of OS X has to be a lot more fun than using OS X hacked onto a cheap ass netbook.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 12, 2012, 09:08 AM

When you're trying to convince people to use a dead laptop platform just to browse a forum, I'd say something went awry.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2012, 09:12 AM

Using a 12" PowerBook running an official version of OS X has to be a lot more fun than using OS X hacked onto a cheap ass netbook.
That's more like catching all your toes in the threshold of a sliding glass door.

And then breaking them when you fall over.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2012, 10:40 AM

No it's not, not at all. Intel-only software is commonplace. Browser choice for one website doesn't compare to that sacrifice, not even close. You can't watch netflix on PPC just by switching browsers.
The netbook has the same clock-speed as the fastest powerbook, with 2 cores to the powerbook's 1
The powerbook is not ultra-portable, sabotaging the whole point of this machine.
The latest powerbooks already need a video dongle to use most projectors (one of the expected use cases where portability is valuable), netbooks don't.

There's just no comparison. Even the powerbook's wheelhouse (compatibility or "it just works") it loses to a hackintosh netbook. There's a reason why they're so cheap, it's because they're not useful anymore.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 12, 2012, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
I've been running Lion fully supported on an i5 build for nine months now without any issues. I think I held it at 10.7.2. I'll cross the Mountain Lion bridge when it comes.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2012, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
When you're trying to convince people to use a dead laptop platform just to browse a forum, I'd say something went awry.
When you're complaining about a website not supporting a browser from 2008 in 2012, I'd say something went awry.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2012, 03:17 PM

Loal, no it's not.

I had Snow Leopard running on my HP Mini 1000 for awhile. I also have a 12" PowerBook with Leopard and Tiger installed.

Leopard is unusably slow most of the time, so I rarely use it. The GPU in the PowerBook and the specs on the 867MHz G4 CPU are barely adequate for all of Leopard's glitz.

I use TenFourFox in Tiger (remember, Firefox dropped PPC support several major versions ago). It's s-l-o-w. Something as simple as posting a FaceBook update can be frustrating at times.

On the other hand, OS X on a netbook runs like OS X on an early-gen MB or MBP. It's snappy enough for daily use. The only real limitation is the 1024x600 resolution that is typical of any 10" netbook.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2012, 07:10 PM

Seriously. Even Tiger.

I think I kept my PB around until 2008 as penance.

I'm not sure for what, but it must have been bad.

andi*pandi
Jul 16, 2012, 09:30 AM

I was disappointed in tenfourfox. I was hoping my kid could play flash games that won't run on Firefox 3.6, and then tenfourfox disables flash.

A lot of kid websites still use flash for game animation.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 16, 2012, 10:43 AM

You can re-enable Flash and other plugins in TenFourFox. Put 'about:config' in the URL bar.

Stroll down to 'tenfourfox.plugins.enabled' and change it to 'true'. Restart browser.

Forum Links
Forum Rules