Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Setup secure email proxy/tunneling... how?

Setup secure email proxy/tunneling... how?
workerbee
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2003, 08:08 AM

I'm currently using a totally unprotected AirPort network I just happened to find, to surf in my hotel in Sydney

Now I'm wondering: how do you setup OSX so that what you're surfing to is not so easily "sniffable"? I guess this problem also has to be solved if I was using some commercial WiFi access provider (Starbucks, oneXnet...).

I wouldn't even care that much if my web browsing was totally transparent to whoever might be listening in, but I'd certainly not want to send and receive email (plain-text passwords and mail server addresses!) over an unsecured WiFi connection.
So I bought the anonymizer secure tunneling package yesterday. I've even been able to get it to work for the webbrowser: everything is sent via Anonymizers SSH proxy servers (I'm checking ports 80 and 22 using TCPflow).

But what completely eludes me is how to setup Entourage, and my 7 email accounts, to be encrypted or tunneled or whatever.
There are options in Entourage Mail & News Preferences, but I have not been able to get anything to connect at all.

So how do you folks do it? Set up a separate tunnel to each mail server (that has to be SSH-enabled, too) you want to use?

Or am I just too dumb, as usual...
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

Forum Links
Forum Rules