Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New 15" PowerBook prediction thread. (NOT PPC 970)

New 15" PowerBook prediction thread. (NOT PPC 970) (Page 4)
Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2003, 04:10 AM

Originally posted by Eug:
The whole point of PCMCIA is flexibility, not just to be able to use GSM data. PCMCIA adds the potential of features for a relatively wide range of people. GSM adds a single feature for a much smaller group of people, for higher cost.
Agreed, PCMCIA is much more flexible, but under the premiss that Apple can't fit a PCMCIA slot in a 12" PowerBook (assuming they didn't skip it just for marketing reasons) you could imagine that a GSM slot could actually still fit because it's about the size of a fly.

Cost? I think that's not really an issue. GSM chips sell for a couple of cents in bulk. The chip slot is plastic with six copper contacts. The antenna could maybe be implemented by parasitic use of the APX/BT antennas. In Japan I bought a disposable cell phone for nothing. Granted they don't use GSM, but I suppose the chip inside (a little logic and a DAC) is about as inexpensive as one for (the less elaborate) GSM.

Small user base? I highly doubt that one. Imagine how useful it can be to use your PowerBook everywhere. Not just wired Ethernet at the office and wirelesss APX at home, but high speed GPRS wireless access from every covered point of the world. It means people could use it on the road, in trains, in Airports (w/o paying ridiculous 802.11 rates), hotels, everywhere. And at the rate they are used to. Not some Hilton rip-off rate.

I travel a lot in my job. Tryiong to hook up to a network on the road is a royal pain. In Japan telephone booths sometimes have data sockets, but in the US or Europe forget that. This is why IMHO wireless capabilities in PowerBooks should go further than just the very local APX. Of course people dream about complete 802.11 coverage all over the planet, but I'm afraid until that happens, I'll be 60 and until it's affordable and uses a transparent and a standardized rate/payment scheme I'll be dead.

But whatever. Apple won't do it anyway. Back to the topic.

Anyways, it's now the first Tuesday of August and still no new PowerBook. I've been thinking since last month that an August release would be about the right time, but now I'm wondering if August is gonna even be possible. September? October with Panther?

If I were in the market for a new laptop (and still had an old laptop I could use in the interim), I'd still wait though, even if it meant waiting until Hallowe'en.
Talk about the pain Eug.

I am freaking dying.

It is pure agony.

I could kill myself for not having bought the 12" PowerBook when it came out. But now, after having waited for six months (which would be a life cycle for other Mac product line revisions) I feel I have to hold out until Rev B is here. If I go to the Apple dealer right now and get the 12" I will shoot myself when Rev B comes out in four weeks.

BUT, can anybody tell me how I am supposed to survive the next four weeks? I was playing with the idea of getting some serious doses of Dormicum or Valium and go into hybernation for the next four weeks.

I was really expecting the PowerBook update to come in August. And now it doesn't at all look like we'll see it before the Seybold event (9/9) or even Paris (9/16). That is another month away and the feeling is terrible. It starts reminding me of the G4 iMac catastrophe when it took Apple ages to update form a 15" to a 1GHz 17". It seems the product line I'm interested in always gets plugged.

I can't believe the situation. There are so many temptations around worth spedning the $2000 on, but I couldn;t care less about them. If I could only get my hands on a new 12".

I think I should seriously start to consider getting a life.
( Last edited by Simon; Aug 6, 2003 at 04:36 AM. )

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2003, 06:17 AM

When motoslowa has production quantities of the 7457s (30 Sept 03) here's what the 3 new models mean to me:

12" twice the L2 cache.
15" 17" specs in a 15" body with better battery life.
17" real-world usability of 3 hours or more on battery power.
a tough choice on which one to get.

We need to watch motoslowa not Apple. Of course Jobs probably gaged Galvin to control the press releases.

Sickofwaiting
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2003, 06:24 PM

Originally posted by skateray:
As long as it is by Sept. 27 so i can get 200 bucks off an iPod and 100 off a printer I will be happy, even though I won't have it by the time I start school.... which is kinda crappy but something I can live with for the many improvements that will be made to the 15".

I see where you can get $100 off a printer, but how do you bet $200 off an iPod?? $200 off an iPod would help ease the pains of not having my new PB in time for the start of school.
waiting this long for a new 15 will drive
anyone insane

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2003, 06:34 PM

My worry is that they will discontinue the buy a bundle offer (deals on the iPod and HP printers). I may buy one now and save money. Like you said the offer doesnt end until the end of september. Although the offer aggrement states clearly apple can discontiue it at any time. I am in a bit of a pickle right now. I could save a lot of money with these deals now and even if I get a rev b (i might regret not getting the deals that possibly could be ended upon a new release).
Kind of makes me mad. I had a detailed plan about my powerbook the moment steve held up the 12. I said thats the one im going to get but I want at least a rev b. I thought to myself i should get it by the end of July perhaps earlier. I had everything laid out and planned. I got an excel spreadsheet with price comparisons and everything. The fact that this is the end of the road and I am stuck trying to decide to take the yelllow road or the blue road scares me. One road gives me the great deals, and the other gives me the rev b but no information on the great deals and discounts. Its a lot to think about!

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2003, 06:44 PM

Not to mention the biggest possible reason to wait for a 12 for me isnt the processor at all, but for the possibility of USB 2, and a DVI port. I understand that th 7457 doesnt run as hot which is good. This allows more to be added inside the case. We will c what happens I told myself if their isnt an update by tuesday i might buy. I dont really know what to do. Those deals are so good hehe.

My didn't play out as I would of liked lol

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Aug 7, 2003, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by LfGrdMike:
Not to mention the biggest possible reason to wait for a 12 for me isnt the processor at all, but for the possibility of USB 2, and a DVI port. I understand that th 7457 doesnt run as hot which is good. This allows more to be added inside the case. We will c what happens I told myself if their isnt an update by tuesday i might buy. I dont really know what to do. Those deals are so good hehe.

My didn't play out as I would of liked lol
I expect it will have the 7457. USB 2 is possible too. I doubt you'll get DVI though.

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2003, 07:21 PM

I think im going to cave and get the 12 as soon as I get back from Pitsburgh to get these great deals. I have no proof that these deals will still exist if a rev b comes out.

Also I think you misunderstood me at this point the promotions are more of a concern. As stated two posts ago. This is a concern that shouldnt be taken lightly. Think about all the accessories you an get with the 300 bucks you get back. Its a good deal compared to the store that doesnt have these educational deals. I dont know as if I want to chance it. Not to mention the 200 dollar price drop on the book. Apple might get the last laugh when those who wait like me dont get these great deals. What are we waiting for anyway that is so wonderful a 100mhz increase. Its starting to seem silly. The only other reason to wait that can be justified I think is for kinks that the rev A has get worked out in the rev b.

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2003, 07:24 PM

I just want to know am I the only college student left that is concerned about the promotions being dropped when the PBrevisions come out. Any input that anyone can possibly give that relates to any past instances similar to our current situation would be great.

I don't want to start a new thread for this. We got enough already so Ill ask it here.

David Hagan
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2003, 07:54 PM

Guys, repeat after me...AUGUST 19th...that's not too much longer to wait. Zmai said three weeks...and when she said it, that's about the timeframe she was talking about. Now MacBidwhatever has somewhat confirmed her earlier proclaimation. Additionally, the channel is starting to really clear, so all the signs are pointing to upgrades soon....

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2003, 07:58 PM

I understand that but I asked about promotions. No offence David but many of us know that upgrades are coming. I believe the only question now is what will happen to the promotions. I dont want to sound harsh or come down hard at all. I agree with you, but tell me what you think apple will do with the promotions based on what they have done in the past.

David Hagan
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2003, 08:03 PM

I understand that but I asked about promotions. No offence David but many of us know that upgrades are coming. I believe the only question now is what will happen to the promotions. I dont want to sound harsh or come down hard at all. I agree with you, but tell me what you think apple will do with the promotions based on what they have done in the past.
I understand what you're saying. I'm just trying to talk to the disaffected Apple user who *really* wants the upgrade but is losing patience and may cave to the current offerings. Just trying to stave off buyers remorse. If you're copesetic with promotional offerings on current products, that's fine, well I hope you know what I'm trying to say...

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2003, 08:07 PM

Oh I get you and have to apologize because I almost forgot what I said in the first few posts. I think im just going to stick to my original plan promotions or not. I wanted a rev B in the beginning and I want to take my plan to the end. I understand what your saying now. My last post was reading as lots of frustration. I expected to get mine in July and all ready to go for college. I will just use my iMac 600 until a new PB is released. Hopefully this comment will hold me off another week. Its hard because you keep changing your mind. this will hold me off maybe 2 weeks untill I post repeats out of frustration lol. Its getting hard to stop myself. At least I have a place to express this, and others can do the same as well.

utkucan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2003, 08:26 PM

this whole thing has sent me obssessed/crazy

i have my exam results being announced on the 21 august but what date do i think about instead? yeah you guessed it 19 august powerbook updates....

god save us all...

(the fact that i can't get a powerbook unless those exam reults are up to a very high standars is brushed under a rather large carpet)

David Hagan
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2003, 09:20 PM

12 more days....tick tock, tick tock...

Naz
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2003, 09:30 PM

what is august 19th? who? says!!?
Nazaire's Art - -- iMac 500 DV SE --- 17" PB

David Hagan
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2003, 09:35 PM

It may be the 18th...

Various retail information combined with rumors swirling all point to the 18th or 19th of this month as date for new PB's. It's the strongest leads yet.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Aug 7, 2003, 10:51 PM

Somebody posted that Ingram Micro Canada is out of stock of PowerBooks, and expects new ones August 28, 2003. (Ingram Micro is a big distributor.)

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2003, 10:54 PM

AHHH, that long huh
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display
iPod Mini Green | 35 gigs of music :-)
HP DV1040us Laptop | 1.6 Pentium M | 1GB RAM | Centrino

kennedy
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2003, 01:09 AM

Okay, so if the announcement is going to come Aug 18th or 19th,
when do people expect the first shipments to arrive????
Aug 22nd? Aug 28th? Sep 1st? Sep 18th?
What has happened in the past?

I will also requests anyone's opinions on what happens to the current bundle deals and educational pricing? Afterall, the same package I am looking at today would have cost me about $700 more just 3 months ago! Who says that pricing doesn't return when they have exciting new PB's to sell???

DUDE 007
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2003, 01:56 AM

If this helps...I have a friend that works for Ingram Micro and thru my hmmmmm smooth talking managed to gain access to the "retailers only" section and as we speak I am looking at the Mac section.
As for the Powerbook 15" there are no english format PB in stock but there are 14 in stock of the french format. The 12" PB indicates there are 0 and the PB 17" there are 38 english and 16 french formats. I hope this is another indication of new Powerbook revisions.....pleeeeeez....the wait is killing me.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2003, 04:09 AM

OK, thanks guys for showing that I'm sharing the pain with many others.

How trustworthy is this 8/18 or 8/19 business? If I get my hopes up for this date and they don't come again I'm ready for the nut house or serious drugs or both.

I agree with Eug on the 12" specs. I suppose 7457 and USB2 are for sure, but DVI will probably not make it (again).

What else? What do you guys think about FW800 and the backlight keyboard? What about the chance of L3? And what about the 640MB RAM limit? And speaking about RAM, will it be DDR on a 166MHz system bus? What are your guesses?

And BTW, Steve if your listening, I'll pay double for the Rev B 12" if I can have it right now. The cash is sitting right here and waiting to be spent. No kidding.
( Last edited by Simon; Aug 8, 2003 at 08:29 AM. )

Naz
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2003, 08:17 AM

you people are serious with this Aug 18-19 thing
Nazaire's Art - -- iMac 500 DV SE --- 17" PB

aehaas
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2003, 08:37 AM

I am putting all my money on September 1st or 2nd.

aehaas

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 8, 2003, 09:36 AM

Any input that anyone can possibly give that relates to any past instances similar to our current situation would be great.
LfGrdMike: AFAIR, promotions have worked beyond the introduction of new hardware in the past, but only with the old hardware. So, assuming we get a Rev.B 12-inch PowerBook before the Bundle promo runs out at the end of September, you'll probably be able to choose between a Rev.A 12-inch with iPod and $200 off, OR a Rev.B 12-inch without promo, which may or may not sell at the current price point.

Personally, I'm waiting even though the iPod deal is very tempting. Of course, I can rely on my iBook to satisfy my computing needs while I wait.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

IronPen
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2003, 10:08 AM

I think Apple would be smart to make an announcement soon even if the shipping is delayed for 6 to 8 weeks or three months, like the G5s. Why not? They know they're going to do it soon. It might even put more pressure on Motorolla to get their act together, although I doubt it.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2003, 03:25 AM

Originally posted by aehaas:
I am putting all my money on September 1st or 2nd.
Why? Just wondering. Why Sept. 2 vs. Aug. 19? Any special significance to Sept. 2? By the way, not that this means anything, but:

Seybold San Francisco is Sept. 8.

IBC Amsterdam is Sept. 11.

Apple Expo Paris is Sept. 16.

The Apple Expo has traditionally been pretty significant, but I would hope the students wouldn't have to wait that long for their PowerBooks.

Anyways, here is my updated prediction:

15"
Aluminum enclosure with rear screen hinge
1.33 GHz G4 MPC7457
512 KB L2 cache
1024 KB DDR L3 cache
167 MHz bus
ATI Radeon 9200 Mobility with 64 MB DDR
512 MB DDR333 DDR SDRAM
15.4" 1280x800 16:10 widescreen
60 GB 4200 rpm ATA100 hard drive
Firewire 400
Firewire 800
USB 2
1X slot-load SuperDrive
Back-lit keyboard
Airport Extreme
BlueTooth
Gigabit Ethernet
DVI-I
PCMCIA
56 Kbps Modem
55 Watt Li battery
5.3 lbs
$2599.

I don't expect to see a Geforce FX Go 5200. The Radeon 9200 Mobility is a superior card. Instead of the 1.33 GHz CPU, a 1.25 GHz is also possible.

17"
1.33 GHz G4 7457 with 1024 KB L3 cache
167 MHz bus
ATI Radeon 9200 Mobility with 64 MB DDR
512 MB DDR333
17" 1440x900 16:10 widescreen
60 GB 4200 rpm ATA100 hard drive
Firewire 400
Firewire 800
USB 2
1X slot-load SuperDrive
Back-lit keyboard
Airport Extreme
BlueTooth
Gigabit Ethernet
DVI-I
PCMCIA
56 Kbps Modem
55 Watt Li battery
6.9 lbs
$3199

I cannot completely rule out the possibility of a dual 1 GHz low power, with 133 MHz bus, but I think it's unlikely. A 1.33 MHz single CPU would probably outperform a dual 1.0 in many games and apps, (although some SMP'd apps would be killer with the dual 1.0). Plus, the low power dual would mean a drop in bus speed.

I'd like to see a Radeon 9600 M10, and I can't rule it out either, but it just seems like a waste of cash to put a 9600 in a 1.33 GHz machine. It'd make more sense to simply keep the costs down.

12"
1.0 GHz G4 7457
133 MHz bus
Geforce4 440 Go with 32 MB DDR
256 MB DDR266
12" 1024x768 4:3 screen
40 GB 4200 rpm ATA100 hard drive
Firewire 400
no Firewire 800
USB 2
DVD/CD-RW combo drive (SuperDrive optional)
No back-lit keyboard
Airport Extreme optional
BlueTooth
10/100 Ethernet
No DVI-I
No PCMCIA
56 Kbps Modem
47 Watt Li battery
4.6 lbs
$1549

I expect Apple to forego the L3 in the 12" yet again, but it really deserves to have 1024 KB. (I don't think having only 512 KB L3 is supported.) I can't completely rule out a 1.13 GHz CPU, but it seems unlikely.

All three PowerBooks will cycle down to 600 MHz in power saving mode.
( Last edited by Eug; Aug 9, 2003 at 03:55 AM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2003, 09:33 AM

And it looks like another Tuesday without any PowerBook anouncements.

Any more info on the 8/18 or 8/19 rumor? Anybody?

How many of these damn TiBooks are still in the queue? You'd think they should have sold em off by now, but...

jojobe99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2003, 11:10 AM

MacOSrumors reports that it may happen the week of the 18th:
"Powerbook and possible iMac updates around the 20th"

http://www.macosrumors.com

I know they are not anyone's favorite source, I jsut providing an answer to a question. *DUCKS*

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2003, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by kennedy:
Okay, so if the announcement is going to come Aug 18th or 19th,
when do people expect the first shipments to arrive????
Aug 22nd? Aug 28th? Sep 1st? Sep 18th?
What has happened in the past?

I will also requests anyone's opinions on what happens to the current bundle deals and educational pricing?
They are all over the map on availability, so there's no way to predict. Sometimes new products ship with a short delay, sometimes they ship immediately. The 667/800 TiBooks were available immediately upon announcement; the 867/1000s were split, with the 867 available immediately and the 1GHz shipping in a couple of weeks.

As for promotions, I can only think of one instance where Apple ended a promotion early, and I don't even think it had to do with new hardware. I'm almost certain that the back-to-school promo in 2001 worked on both discontinued hardware and the new hardware (faster G3 iMacs) they introduced at MWNY that year.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2003, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by Eug:
Anyways, here is my updated prediction:
I would buy Eug's predicted 15 instantly. 1.33GHz on a 167MHz bus is just what I need to justify the upgrade from my 667. Assuming we don't LOSE any features, anything else for me is gravy. I'd happily buy this and then wait for the second rev of the G5 PowerBook.

beefstu01
Aug 12, 2003, 02:13 PM

I see you all banging your heads in anticipation of the new PowerBook release, and believe me, I don't think any of you need one as badly as I do. My orientation for Cornell starts the 22nd, and classes start the 28th, and I still need a laptop. I'm holding off, however, because if I made it this far with just a pencil and paper, I should be able to hold out just a little bit longer. Anyway, all of you head on over to Mac Prices and look who is out of stock for the 15" PB... just about everybody including, most importantly, the Apple store. I've been following that site for a while, and when those little plusses tur into minuses, it means that a new release is just around the corner. I'm thinking that all the retailers can't hold out with no stock much longer, so a release within the next two weeks is almost imminent. I would, however, like to see a free upgrade to Panther cupon with this new release of the PowerBook... I really don't want to spend an extra $130 for an OS that I could have waited two or three weeks for.

That all having been said, this is what we'll see in the new 15" PB revision->

For Sure->
Aluminum Body
1.25-1.3 GHz G4
DDR RAM
AirPort Extreme
BlueTooth

Possibly->
Larger Hard Drive
2x SuperDrive
Backlit Keyboard
Longer Battery Life
Radeon 9600

In the worst case, we'll have new 'Books at the Paris Expo, but I want them to come a lot earlier.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2003, 03:32 PM

Originally posted by beefstu01:
I would, however, like to see a free upgrade to Panther cupon with this new release of the PowerBook... I really don't want to spend an extra $130 for an OS that I could have waited two or three weeks for.
I don't think you'll see any coupons until Apple announces a ship date for Panther. Macs purchased after the announcement will receive it for (probably) $20. I'm betting the date will be announced at AE Paris. I'm HOPING for new PowerBooks before then, and I won't wait for Panther, although I'll be miffed if Apple drops the family-pack deal.

mamamia
Aug 12, 2003, 04:12 PM

it is quite comical to scroll down page four of this thread and see everyone banging their heads into the wall over and over and over again

apple's execution has been piss poor this last year on the hardware front. it is really quite impressive that they are able to post a profit despite it all. i am convinced that if they are able to execute their hardware strategy (i.e. roll out a speed bumped product every 4-6months/revamp product every 12-18) going forward, they will actually increase their user base.
thank god for the g5.
funky bitch

nayr x
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2003, 04:19 PM

I have never seen so many 's on a board before. Looks like Apple has us wrapped around its little finger... Such devotion through blinding frustration should be rewarded with...something...

(Perpetuating detached, existentialist ennui since 2001)

nayr x
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2003, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by mamamia:
it is quite comical to scroll down page four of this thread and see everyone banging their heads into the wall over and over and over again

Beat me to the punch! Damn my slow typing!

(Perpetuating detached, existentialist ennui since 2001)

Alpha-sphere
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2003, 04:27 PM

I think the new powerbooks will be announced @ paris next month together with panther and that they will be ready to ship immediately after Job announces them.