Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther 7B39

Panther 7B39 (Page 2)
Brazuca
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2003, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by sandsl:
Font Preview:
If you click on the degree value, does it allow input?
"It's about time trees did something good insted of just standing there LIKE JERKS!" :)

gdiddy
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2003, 10:35 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
How's the debug code coming along? They take it out yet? Mine still has it -- I think I have 7B39 v2.0. Hmm.... It is snappy, at least.
Make me laugh every time!

I am a moron though.

Some people hate it when others have FUN on these forums....
Michael: Hasn't everything been sort of discovered now by like Magellan and Cortez?

Buster: Oh, yeah yeah, those guys did a pretty good job.

sandsl
Senior User
Aug 17, 2003, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by Brazuca:
If you click on the degree value, does it allow input?
No.
Luke

himself
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2003, 12:09 AM

Originally posted by Developer:
I would be disappointed if it won't. The competition has more and better desktop pictures.
I thought most mac users were those creative types who could create their own desktop pics... or at least download them from somebody's website.

0h damn, i think the competiton does that better too...
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

zadak
Aug 18, 2003, 02:17 AM

Originally posted by himself:
I thought most mac users were those creative types who could create their own desktop pics... or at least download them from somebody's website.

0h damn, i think the competiton does that better too...
I for one was very happy when Apple included Flurry in Jaguar.
I for one would be very happy if Apple will include some new (and actually good) desktop pictures (best of pixelgirlpresents.com would be nice) and this little beauty for screen saver...
http://ittpoi.com/stem.php?product=c...&type=frameset

Desktops and screen savers may be stupid compared to other parts of the OS, but 1. its stuff you see all day and 2. its stuff that pc weenies see.

Apple got high standard in graphics but the default desktops of Jaguar sucks.
And the screen savers are even worse. One good (flurry), one super sucky (computer name) and a few picture gallerys.

iFix Rene
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2003, 02:45 AM

people should get over that tick to always
compare mac OS X to Windows and what
PC weenies (they are ordinary folks like us)
might think. If they like Windows, let 'em!

It is SO first grade school behaviour.

I for one dont give a rats ass what others
think, Mac OS X is MY OS of choice.
If it ain't broken... Fix it!�

zadak
Aug 18, 2003, 02:59 AM

Originally posted by iFix Rene:
people should get over that tick to always
compare mac OS X to Windows and what
PC weenies (they are ordinary folks like us)
might think. If they like Windows, let 'em!

It is SO first grade school behaviour.

I for one dont give a rats ass what others
think, Mac OS X is MY OS of choice.
People use themes of Mac OS X just for the beauty. If that is a good way to convince them to convert, 1 point for Apple.

(Btw, the panther look has made it in to a Win-theme!)

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2003, 03:05 AM

Originally posted by zadak:
...and this little beauty for screen saver...
http://ittpoi.com/stem.php?product=c...&type=frameset
You do realise that this is a rip-off of the original Apple screensaver that shipped with 10.0 ?

zadak
Aug 18, 2003, 03:13 AM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
You do realise that this is a rip-off of the original Apple screensaver that shipped with 10.0 ?
Are you shure?

Of course I realize it. I just miss it. And Flying icons is a nice improvment over the original, lots of new options.

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 18, 2003, 05:27 AM

alright, alright... so much for the wallpaper-issue. now what else can you say about the latest build? have they repaired the visual glitches in the finder toolbar? filevault? any other updated apps, utilities? new graphics, icons, options etc.?
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2003, 06:03 AM

Originally posted by zadak:
And the screen savers are even worse. One good (flurry), one super sucky (computer name) and a few picture gallerys.
I beg to differ. The included picture galleries are among the most tasteful screensavers I've ever seen.

Great selection of images, and the panning/zooming is very nicely done.

I get more oohs and aahs over the Cosmos, Beach, and Forest screen savers than over Flurry.

-s*

lookmark
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2003, 06:04 AM

Originally posted by dr. zoidberg:
alright, alright... so much for the wallpaper-issue. now what else can you say about the latest build? have they repaired the visual glitches in the finder toolbar? filevault? any other updated apps, utilities? new graphics, icons, options etc.?
And what was with that "notice any differences?" with the Finder comment. Hmmm....?

ls -al
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 18, 2003, 08:42 AM

As long as we are talking about Desktop pictures (is this what Panther discussions have come down to... )

What I'd like is matching Left/Right and Top/Bottom picture sets for those of us with multiple monitors... remember those desktop pictures with the Boston and NYC skylines which extended to multiple monitors?

Anyone know of a few that I can download for my TiBook/Cinema Display combo?

takai
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2003, 10:47 AM

Well now that the **** has flown ill add my 2c.

All the finder stuff seems bluish, and moreso than before. But that may be because i havnt set it all to graphite yet (installed as of 5 mins ago).

Bluetooth stuff seems to be fixeddd. And ill try FCP4 soon.
takai
------

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 18, 2003, 10:51 AM

ok, so where�s that guy gone now. COME BACK AND FEED US, damn....
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

SYN
Senior User
Aug 18, 2003, 11:00 AM

do items created in the terminal appear immediatley in finder windows, or do you still have to manuall select them?

any sign of file vault?
Soyons R�alistes, Demandons l'impossible

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2003, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by dr. zoidberg:
ok, so where�s that guy gone now. COME BACK AND FEED US, damn....
Maybe he got pissed because some dorks felt the urge to discuss the vital issue of which desktop background needed to be installed in order for Apple to sell enough copies of Panther and not go chapter 11...

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Aug 18, 2003, 12:33 PM

Actually, while I don't really care about more desktop pictures per se, Apple had some REALLY beautiful photographs that they shipped with OS 9 (or was it OS 8?). They had dozens and dozens, because there were extra pics on the installer CD. Maybe I can find them on a CD I have somewhere here; if so, I'll post them.

What they should do is just re-release the old ones for download. Those were really incredible. They'd look phenomenal with panning and zooming...
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2003, 12:55 PM

Exactly... I think they need to include not just computer generated stuff, but nature and/or cityscapes too.
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 18, 2003, 01:03 PM

FileVault is in there. Its just not its own Control Panel. Its integrated in the Accounts control panel.

This build is a bit strange. It works well for the most part. However, iSight under iChat AV does NOT work. Also I'm seeing that there may be some networking issues. Trash empties, but not visually. Mostly it works but I've had a few strange issues.

Finally, apps still seem to quit a lot. I've had Safari quit a LOT (though its definately a lot faster as well as more usable), Quicken, Finder, etc...

So its still not close to release. I have a few friends at Apple who say they are running a later build, however, that is much more stable and fixes most of these issues.

So I take all this with a grain of salt.

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 18, 2003, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by SYN:
do items created in the terminal appear immediatley in finder windows, or do you still have to manuall select them?

any sign of file vault?
Yes. I think its in there. But its broken. I think its a kernel level function/feature that's broken. I say this because of how the Trash is working, which to me means they rewrote the Finder/Trash, etc... to use their new file update notifications - but since the notifications aren't working, things aren't updating.

That's just my take.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2003, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by Webscreamer:
Exactly... I think they need to include not just computer generated stuff, but nature and/or cityscapes too.
I use some of the desktop pictures as Finder window background pictures. One for the Applications folder, the home folder, the personal Applications folder, the Documents folder etc. Makes it easy to recognize the folder at a glance.

Tiles Blue and Grey are perfect for that, Water is OK. The other tiles and abstract images are plain ugly. Nature/cityscapes images etc. are too busy for that purpose.

So yes, I would welcome new desktop pictures in Panther.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

iFix Rene
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2003, 01:35 PM

i heard of a guy that Filevault is in the
security pane, not the accounts pane

and that when he used it it seriously messed
up his home
If it ain't broken... Fix it!�

SYN
Senior User
Aug 18, 2003, 01:39 PM

Yes. I think its in there. But its broken. I think its a kernel level function/feature that's broken. I say this because of how the Trash is working, which to me means they rewrote the Finder/Trash, etc... to use their new file update notifications - but since the notifications aren't working, things aren't updating.

That's just my take
Yeah, I've been thinking along the same lines, but wasn't quite sure. File size in the Get Info window doesn't update anymore on files being transfered btw drives when you clic out of the window and back in (it updated in 10.2).

I'm eager to see this work!

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2003, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by richardb:
I'm growing worried about the lack of new desktop pictures and screensavers. Apple needs to throw in some snazzy new stuff to differentiate Panther from Jaguar...
Just what I want, a 4th CD of stuff to download! The 3rd CD is up to part 11 now.

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Aug 18, 2003, 02:44 PM

I would be careful using FileVault if I were you. This is the first "public" build it's shown up in, and it's the kind of feature that could easily hose a lot of your stuff if there are some bugs in it, which there are bound to be.

And yes, it's there. Dunno if it works though. Is it really kernel-level? That seems too low-level for a feature like FileVault...
( Last edited by gorgonzola; Aug 18, 2003 at 02:52 PM. )
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2003, 02:51 PM

FileVault just turns your home folder into an encrypted disk image. You can implement it now in Jaguar, if you knew what you're doing.
Vandelay Industries

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2003, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by iFix Rene:
i heard of a guy that Filevault is in the
security pane, not the accounts pane

and that when he used it it seriously messed
up his home
It's in both.

Also, it is really easy to fix when it goes wrong.
Vandelay Industries

murk
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2003, 03:36 PM

How about a series of desktops designed just for the change picture feature. Some kind of gentle animated effect. When they introduced the feature with Jag, I thought some artist would design a series like this, but I have seen any yet. I know you can get software to run screensavers and movies in the background, but they cause more of a performance hit than change picture.

real
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 18, 2003, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by ls -al:
Ugh... those controls on the Text panel may look good but they are awful to use...

A circular controls, come on Apple haven't you learnt from the fiasco that was Quicktime 4? The angle display should be a text box to enter the angle... Trying to dial 45� using that control is going to be awful...

The sliders are quite the abomination too, look at the size of those controls...

Awful.

Almost ever app that uses A drop shadow(PS, AE, Shake, DF, C* etc) has that kinda of dial, maybe doesn't look that same but it is a dial. STOP the nitpicking.
real
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2003, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by murk:
How about a series of desktops designed just for the change picture feature. Some kind of gentle animated effect. When they introduced the feature with Jag, I thought some artist would design a series like this, but I have seen any yet. I know you can get software to run screensavers and movies in the background, but they cause more of a performance hit than change picture.
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, for example, of the same scene. Could be really cool if someone could render it well.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Busemann
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2003, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by Arkham_c:
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, for example, of the same scene. Could be really cool if someone could render it well.
Like these from Microsoft

-Q-
Aug 18, 2003, 03:58 PM

Originally posted by Arkham_c:
Alarmingly, Microsoft has developed something like this for Mac users. You can find 'em here: http://www.microsoft.com/mac/product...?pid=downloads

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2003, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by -Q-:
Alarmingly, Microsoft has developed something like this for Mac users. You can find 'em here: http://www.microsoft.com/mac/product...?pid=downloads
Well, I'll be... These are actually quite cool. And in 17" PowerBook-sized too

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Arty50
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2003, 04:18 PM

Originally posted by brainchild2b:
Here's what's new so far, any experiences that peopole want to share

Once again, this release reflects extensive engineering efforts since the last seed (7B2, with issued addressed in almost every component of the OS. Here are some components that had the most extensive changes:

Address Book
Airport Admin
AppKit
ATS
Carbon Core
Core Audio
Core Graphics
Finder
Foundation
HIToolBox
JBoss
Kernel
Printing
QuickTime
QuickDraw
WebCore
WebKit
Man, we have a list like these and you guys keep blathering on about screensavers and decktop pics. Can someone please talk about Address Book and Quicktime, two apps that lots of people use extensively.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2003, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by LightWaver-67:
No offense to you, personally, MindFad (you're not the only one to do it)... but didn't the whole reference to the removal of "debug code" and the OS being "Snappier (TM)" lose it's humor... like over a year ago...???

When will those references die already...?

1. IN SOVIET RUSSIA, UTBABYA!
2. ?????
3. Profit!

Matt Fahrenbacher

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2003, 04:44 PM

how ABOUT we actually SEE and HEAR a little about 7B39 now

diamondsw
Senior User
Aug 18, 2003, 05:02 PM

Originally posted by Ghoser777:
1. IN SOVIET RUSSIA, UTBABYA!
2. ?????
3. Profit!

Matt Fahrenbacher
Does Meteo work with Panther? (Does Meteo work at all anymore is probably a better question...)

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2003, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by diamondsw:
Does Meteo work with Panther? (Does Meteo work at all anymore is probably a better question...)
I've heard reports of no, but I don't have Panther to test with. Meteo kind of sort of sometimes works... it's in between stages right now, kind of like Adium. Currently working a lot of things out of my system, if anyone can tell by my posts.

Matt Fahrenbacher

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2003, 05:08 PM

Regarding the question about Quicktime. I believe it is fully re-entrant now (or at least nearly so). This means that it can multithread and can take advantage of dual processors better. This is a huge deal.

From what I've read though the overall interface really isn't that different. Likewise the number of codecs supported is only increased by the codecs mentioned at the WWDC. i.e. nothing much for average users.

While I doubt it will ever happen for copyright issues, I'd like Quicktime to be able to replace MPlayer or VLC for me. At a bear minimum I hope they improve their MPEG4 implementation.

Arty50
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2003, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by clarkgoble:
Regarding the question about Quicktime. I believe it is fully re-entrant now (or at least nearly so). This means that it can multithread and can take advantage of dual processors better. This is a huge deal.

From what I've read though the overall interface really isn't that different. Likewise the number of codecs supported is only increased by the codecs mentioned at the WWDC. i.e. nothing much for average users.

While I doubt it will ever happen for copyright issues, I'd like Quicktime to be able to replace MPlayer or VLC for me. At a bear minimum I hope they improve their MPEG4 implementation.
Sweet, thanks! More of ^ please!
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

diamondsw
Senior User
Aug 18, 2003, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by Ghoser777:
I've heard reports of no, but I don't have Panther to test with. Meteo kind of sort of sometimes works... it's in between stages right now, kind of like Adium. Currently working a lot of things out of my system, if anyone can tell by my posts.

Matt Fahrenbacher
Okay, I was being harsh - haven't seen any updates in months, and it quit working completely for me (and seemingly a lot of other people) back in early June. Been stuck on WeatherPop again, and it's just not the same.

ANYWAY... so, does the Finder still do the funky "It's metal! It's aqua! It's BOTH" thing?

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2003, 05:16 PM

Does the Archive function work now? last time I tried it crashed the finder and really didn't compress it!

iTarzan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2003, 05:22 PM

Could you post screenshots of any changes you notice in Address Book or Airport Admin Utility?

Thanks

ckohler
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 18, 2003, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by clarkgoble:
Regarding the question about Quicktime. I believe it is fully re-entrant now (or at least nearly so).
Does this mean that users can be exporting one movie while another is playing, or exporting more than one movie at a time?

diamondsw
Senior User
Aug 18, 2003, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by ckohler:
Does this mean that users can be exporting one movie while another is playing, or exporting more than one movie at a time?
It would certainly open the door for it to be more multithreaded, but in and of itself re-entrant code will not add such features. But who knows, maybe they're working on that too.

SYN
Senior User
Aug 18, 2003, 06:15 PM

I doubt QT will ever do that, since it isn't in the dev builds (yet). However, any 3rd party dev could easily write an app that did that, ala Cellulo.

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2003, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by ckohler:
I suspect this kind of functionality is what they are aiming for. One can certainly see why that is desirable. The other problem is that many API calls, not just for QT, are not thread safe. This means that multithreading the GUI for an application can be difficult. It is a big weakness in both Carbon and Cocoa. I don't know how much this is being changed in Panther, but I can certainly see Apple trying to change all that.

Certain complaints about OSX could easily be solved were the GUI elements easier to multithread.

takai
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2003, 06:58 PM

In the little while ive been using it (interrupted by 8hrs of sleep), i havnt noticed anything different in Address Book, except that it now runs on bluetooth machines (Powerbook12")
takai
------

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 18, 2003, 07:42 PM

Originally posted by Webscreamer:
Does the Archive function work now? last time I tried it crashed the finder and really didn't compress it!
YEs, it worked for me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules