Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > NOLF2 60Hz only?

NOLF2 60Hz only?
Taipan
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2003, 03:26 PM

Hi!

After failing to start "No One Lives Forever 2" i took a look at the support pages and found a hint that it should be started with 60Hz screen refresh rate. So I tried it and it worked, but how crappy is that? I thought maybe it's only necessary for the first start until the video mode is set in the options, but I was wrong. One really needs to set the monitor to 60Hz before starting the game. I can't believe it. Has anybody found a way to get around this? Thanks!

jaysones
Oct 23, 2003, 10:52 PM

That's actually the best problem to have with it. From everything I've read, if the 60 Hz trick doesn't make it work nothing will. It sits on "Loading" on my machine forever and nothing happens at any resolution. It won't run at all under Panther. Check the macgamer.com and insidemacgames.com forums for LOTS more about NOLF 2. It's a real dog, and everyone's waiting for a patch.

eyadams
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2003, 01:11 PM

I've had four problems, 2 minor and 2 serious enough to make the game unplayable.

First, some in-game text isn't being displayed correctly. The notes that "type" out to set the scene are being rendered as little rectangles, as if NOLF2 can't find the font.

Second, the 60Hz thing. That's just lame.

Third, cut scenes aren't playing right. This the problem most people on IMG and other forums are seeing - cut scenes will start, but the cues seems to get missed and you'll hear dialog while the camera stays on the wrong character and other weirdness.

Fourth, the game crashes on certain settings. For example, if I run it at high detail 800x600 it will crash as soon as it tries to display a character or any model. Scenery displays fine.

Yup. It's a dog. And I was really looking forward to it.

lenox
Senior User
Oct 27, 2003, 01:34 PM

As for the cut scene/audio bug, you can fix it by reverting back to qt6.3 from 6.4.

It's a crappy fix, but it works.

Let's hope they patch NOLF2 soon.

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2003, 07:09 PM

Does NOLF2 even run in Panther? I installed it and ran it, and its icon just disappeared from the Dock :-(

a2daj
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2003, 08:25 PM

Well, if it's any consolation, 72Hz seems to work for me. But non of the text during the game shows up. I get empty boxes.

lenox
Senior User
Oct 28, 2003, 11:25 AM

That's the opposite of consolation :/ Hehe.

eyadams
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2003, 01:09 PM

Does NOLF2 even run in Panther? I installed it and ran it, and its icon just disappeared from the Dock
That's the 60Hz bug. You have to go into the control panel and set the monitor refresh rate to 60Hz before starting the game.

However, it won't run correctly under Panther if you've got Quicktime 6.4 installed, which I think is installed by default. Does anyone know if you can downgrade Quicktime to 6.3 under Panther?

lenox
Senior User
Oct 28, 2003, 01:41 PM

This may not work with Panther, but it made the cutscenes totally perfect in Jaguar. You need to download the reverter from Apple. The interesting thing to note, is...Apple wouldn't release a reverter unless a LOT of people were having trouble. Anyhow:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120255

Now, if only I didn't have to play the game at fricking 60hz, I might be a little happier.
( Last edited by lenox; Oct 28, 2003 at 01:53 PM. )

hart
Senior User
Nov 22, 2003, 08:52 AM

The documentation with NOLF2 says that no, you can't downgrade quicktime in Panther because it's built into the system. This problem means I've finally run into something that puts my Panther upgrade on hold.

I haven't been able to remap my keys to play left handed in NOLF2. I can't get a large group of keys to map at all. It seems random because, for example, left arrow won't work but right arrow will.

I'm off to the game forums to look for solutions.

Forum Links
Forum Rules