Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > FontBook, Haxies, APE: never again�

FontBook, Haxies, APE: never again�
workerbee
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2004, 05:59 AM

Because I really really miss Type Reunion's functionality of yore (remember when font menus actually made sense, even in Macromedia apps?), I perhaps foolishly installed Unsanity's FontCard 1.0.3 on my 10.3.2-running PowerBook. As it did not work at all in Fireworks MX 04 -- the fonts were all grayed out in the Inspector font popup menu, and most were grayed out in the Text -> Fonts menu -- I uninstalled it, using the "deactivate" button for the application enhancer in the prefs panel.
A day later (yesterday), I decided to give it another try; seeing the same results even after deactivating FontCard for all Adobe apps, as someone suggested on VersionTracker, I again uninstalled the PrefPane and deactivated the APE, even rebooting after this to make sure everything was off.

Now this might just be a coincidence, but both times my PowerBook has crashed on waking after the Haxie uninstall and APE deactivation: on opening the PB, the login panel appeared, and freezed solid after entering 4 characters. This has never happened before, and Panther has up to now been a model of stability. Because I have FileVault turned on, hard rebooting my PB really makes me feel very uneasy.

Again, I don't know if there is any relation between the haxies in the trash, the deactivated APE, and the crash on waking the PowerBook from its first sleep after the uninstall, but haxies and related files are now strictly off-limits here, in perpetuity.

YMMV.
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

Jan Van Boghout
Feb 13, 2004, 08:29 AM

I don't think APE would be able to do anything related to your login window, as the haxies should only operate in the user space, not the system processes. So the freezing after 4 characters seems like something that's unrelated to it. Certainly if you trashed the APE :/

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2004, 08:47 PM

Did you trash the APE framework as well, or just the individual APE's themselves?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2004, 12:09 AM

Poor APE/Haxies/Unsanity...always the little brother and getting picked on it seems...

workerbee  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2004, 04:41 AM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Did you trash the APE framework as well, or just the individual APE's themselves?
Well now they're all gone.
When the crashes occurred I had trashed the FontCard PrefPane, and only deactivated the APE framework -- which sits in /Library/Application Enhancer and needs the Admin password to install BTW, so they're system-wide IMHO -- using the deactivate button.

It probably is coincidence (there seem to be many freezing crashes in Panther), but the PowerBook has not crashed since, with several sleep-wakeup cycles.

Holigen
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2004, 06:48 AM

so they're system-wide IMHO
Actually, youre wrong on the system wide part. APE stands for Application Enhancer. It only effects user owned processes like applications and menu extras. The reason it needs an admin pass is primarily for safety. But again, APE doesnt affect anything at the system level

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

neoTony
Feb 18, 2004, 08:29 AM

gorickey/et al are right - APE isn't even loaded for the login window... it's user level only. If you suspect that any of Unsanity's products are causing the problem, collect the crash logs and send them to Slava and the guys - they're very, very receptive to fixing things.

Edit: OK, what you're experiencing isn't a hard freeze (if the mouse still moves) - that's a runaway process... usually this behavior can also occur if you absolutely max out the I/O on your machine too (you've got to try really hard though).

workerbee  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2004, 06:07 PM

Ummm... OK, I'll probably try out FontCard again, when the next version is out (which maybe will work with FireWorks '04)... and after a thorough backup

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll let you and Unsanity know if I get those weird login problems again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules