Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Desktop DB in Panther: used?

Desktop DB in Panther: used?
workerbee
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2004, 04:13 AM

Playing around with FileBuddy, I must have deleted the invisible Desktop DB file on my "documents" drive. Now it's gone, and restarting apparently does not make the Finder rebuild it.

Are there any applications that (still) really need this file?

And if it is still needed -- is there a way to have it rebuilt without starting Classic (which I'd have to install first)?

Thanks for any helpful hints and insights!
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

dtriska
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2004, 05:24 AM

Classic apps would use it, and maybe some Carbon ones. I don't think it's a big deal if you're OS X-only.

Starting from an OS 9 CD should do the trick.

ryju
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2004, 08:04 AM

I deleted mine too one day... Hope it doesn't affect anything, I don't use Classic.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2004, 08:51 AM

Mac OS X doesn't use the desktop database. If you don't have Classic installed, you don't need it.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 16, 2004, 12:25 PM

if you have classic installed, in the OS X classic preference panel (in System Preferences), isn't there an option to rebuild the desktop? I don't have classic installed at the moment, but remember seeing something to that effect in the classic preference panel.

workerbee  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2004, 05:19 PM

What I find difficult to understand is: why is or rather was the Desktop DB on the disk at all? I've never installed Classic on this PowerBook, I've never booted in OS 9 (not that this would work anyway), and still those files are here, and contain strange informations about (Photoshop? Web browser?) plugins and whatnot.
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

Forum Links
Forum Rules