Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Can't open pages in Safari sporadically

Can't open pages in Safari sporadically
Taipan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2004, 09:03 PM

Hi!

For some time now I sporadically get an error message saying "Safari can't open the page ..., because the Server ... can't be found" when trying to open a page in Safari. It used to happen from time to time, but recently (I think since I installed the Security Update 2004-06-07) it has become more frequent, up to the point where it's really disturbing (I'd estimate 20% of the time). Trying to load the same page a second time then works (well, at another chance of 80%). This is on 10.3.4, I have checked permissions and reset Safari, to no avail. Does anybody know the problem and maybe even have a solution? Thanks!

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2004, 09:13 PM

Originally posted by Taipan:
Does anybody know the problem and maybe even have a solution? Thanks!
I have the problem, don't knwo the solution though Only happens to me when connected to the net via Airport. If I plug into the connection directly it's always fine...

Taipan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2004, 11:03 AM

Hm, I'm also using Airport, but I don't think the increase in errors came with the migration from cable connection to Airport. Not entirely sure, though...

Ω
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2004, 11:55 AM

Same problem, no Airport, just shitty 56k connection.

I would say packets are being lost in the system causing it to have "issues"

Taipan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 2, 2004, 11:03 AM

Well, I think I have found the problem, and I'm telling you even though it's a bit awkward for me: I had followed the hint on http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...y=safari+speed to speed up Safari and completely forgotten about it. Now that I've set the value back to 1 it seems to be working again.
At least this confirms my theory that most problems with OS X are the user's fault. What do we learn: If you mess with your system, at least keep it in your head in case any problems occur.

Forum Links
Forum Rules