Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Enable Two-Finger-Scrolling with pre-2005 PowerBooks and iBooks!!

Enable Two-Finger-Scrolling with pre-2005 PowerBooks and iBooks!!
tungtied07
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2005, 01:35 AM

I havn't tried it on my powerbook yet because its still in the repair center. Maybe people with the pre-2005 Powerbooks could try it out and tell us if it works? If it does, please let us know if the date of manufacture on your powerbook. If it doesn't please let us know too. Maybe we can start a chart/database of which powerbooks can use this new "driver"

Link for enabling it:
http://www-users.kawo2.rwth-aachen.de/~razzfazz/

Powerbook/iBook serial number date of manufacture finder:
Could someone please post that link? I remembered on the web, there was this site where you can enter your powerbook's serial number and it will tell you where it was built and the date.

Well, good luck!
-Paul

Edit:
Mirror of the files and instructions in PDF format:

I have the instructions in a pdf format of the site and the AppleADBMouse.kext driver in my public share folder of the user ID:
ptung007

To access it, go to the finder (your desktop), go menu -> iDisk -> Other User's iDisk Public Folder
( Last edited by tungtied07; Feb 13, 2005 at 08:14 PM. )
15" PowerBook 1.5GHz (CTO): SuperDrive, 5400rpm 80GB 16mb Cache, 1.5GB RAM/Backlit Keyboard/Radeon 9700 128MB/MacOS X 10.4.2

johnpop
Feb 10, 2005, 01:48 AM

Make sure to uninstall sidetrack :doh: Way too tired last night

Anyway, works well now I guess, but currently using Logitech MX Duo for input
( Last edited by johnpop; Feb 10, 2005 at 04:25 PM. )

mduser63
Feb 10, 2005, 01:56 AM

I installed it on my 12" Rev. C Powerbook earlier today. I first tried the rotational mode, but it didn't work very well, so I switched to the XY mode. It works great! I tried Sidetrack once, but I didn't really like the way it worked at all, so I uninstalled it. This is MUCH better. It doesn't get accidentally tripped, but it's very easy to get it to work when you do want to scroll.
12" 1.33 GHz SD Powerbook - 768 MB RAM

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2005, 02:26 AM

would anyone like to explain the instructions for installing this for a newb?
iamwhor3hay

tictactoe
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2005, 02:35 AM

I bought my laptop on January 15th, 2005 and this is a no go for me. I don't mind though, sidetrack works just fine for my needs.

giggs11
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2005, 02:49 AM

Hmm, well I installed it, and it works... but its kind of flake. Sometimes when I try it in Firefox, it takes me Back one page for some reason. Kind of weird. Can I adjust the sensitivity somehow?

It's also scrolling waaay too fast in Firefox...

DNA1984
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2005, 02:58 AM

doesn't work on my either i got the 15" 1.5MHz just before the new ones came out

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2005, 02:59 AM

I can't wait till a programmer gets their hands on this and makes an easy download and install freeware app. No way am I going to dive in this without knowing how to swim.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2005, 03:04 AM

Hot damn! This works WONDERFULLY.

Here's a tip, though... don't install "ALL"... only install "XY". As he says, having rotational AND XY installed simultaneously indeed causes choppiness due to driver confusion.
17" 2.33GHz C2D MacBook Pro / 320GB / 2GB

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2005, 03:14 AM

With both installed, XY works well.

XY on its own works very well.

Rotational, however, doesn't work as well as one should think -- it's unpredictable. Rotational, I think, is more practical, so it's unfortunate that it doesn't work well.

EDIT: Rotational seems to work best if one finger is stationary (like middle) and one finger is rotating (pointer)...the moving finger can also just move up or down for a similar effect. Still not-quite-smooth scrolling, but good enough.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

wy4tt
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2005, 03:35 AM

Originally posted by giggs11:
Hmm, well I installed it, and it works... but its kind of flake. Sometimes when I try it in Firefox, it takes me Back one page for some reason. Kind of weird. Can I adjust the sensitivity somehow?

It's also scrolling waaay too fast in Firefox...
It's probably the horizontal scroll that's causing it.
15 inches of aluminum fury

wy4tt
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2005, 03:39 AM

Too bad it doesn't work with my 15" 1.25. I really like the 2 finger scroll on my buddy's 12". Oh well. Sidetrack works.
15 inches of aluminum fury

ajprice
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2005, 05:10 AM

What does the rotating do on the new powerbooks? Is it like scrolling the menus by rotating on an ipod wheel?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Musti
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2005, 07:14 AM

tungtied07  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2005, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by ajprice:
What does the rotating do on the new powerbooks? Is it like scrolling the menus by rotating on an ipod wheel?
Yeah, it practically does that. When you use to fingers to rotate across the trackpad, you will be able to scroll up and down on the web pages and documents. Almost the same thing like the new iPods do.
Thanks for the update everyone, seeing the dates I guess my powerbook will not be able to do it since I got in in July 2004!
Thats strange it works well for some and not well for others even if it has the new "hardware" that Apple said to do the feature. After enabling the hack, does it show new options in the trackpad/mouse control panel?
15" PowerBook 1.5GHz (CTO): SuperDrive, 5400rpm 80GB 16mb Cache, 1.5GB RAM/Backlit Keyboard/Radeon 9700 128MB/MacOS X 10.4.2

giggs11
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2005, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by wy4tt:
It's probably the horizontal scroll that's causing it.
Can I easily disable horizontal scroll? I don't think I really need rotational either, just vertical scroll for web pages and documents.

RonnieoftheRose
Feb 10, 2005, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by tungtied07:
Yeah, it practically does that. When you use to fingers to rotate across the trackpad, you will be able to scroll up and down on the web pages and documents. Almost the same thing like the new iPods do.
That's totally untrue. The new touchpads sense horizontal and vertical direction when two fingers make contact. If you dial your fingers in a circle you get an up-down jerky scroll because half a circle is a downwards motion and the other half is an upwards motion. It's completely different from the way the iPod's wheel works.

The rumor has come from the animated image on the PowerBook's website and there is no truth to it. The reason for the circular motion was to show how easy it is to scroll around documents that are too big both horizontally and vertically to fit on your screen or window.

drprat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2005, 12:01 PM

could someone please host this hack on another server or paste it into the forum? the website doesnt seem to be accessible anymore. thanks.

tungtied07  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2005, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by RonnieoftheRose:
That's totally untrue. The new touchpads sense horizontal and vertical direction when two fingers make contact. If you dial your fingers in a circle you get an up-down jerky scroll because half a circle is a downwards motion and the other half is an upwards motion. It's completely different from the way the iPod's wheel works.

The rumor has come from the animated image on the PowerBook's website and there is no truth to it. The reason for the circular motion was to show how easy it is to scroll around documents that are too big both horizontally and vertically to fit on your screen or window.
I'm not sure if its TOTALLY untrue. Nor, I'm saying I'm right. But the hack enables the trackpad to sense 2 fingers going in a circular motion to scroll the page up and down, right? Because when I was at the Apple store, if i were to move my fingers (2) in a circular motion, it would move the page up and or down, depending on the motion that I started with, up or down in a circular motion. And I thought that the iPod wheel does the same, when you were to move the your fingers up around the wheel, the menu selector goes up and down when you move your fingers down.

Steve Bosell
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2005, 12:16 PM

did not work for me

900mhz iBook

RonnieoftheRose
Feb 10, 2005, 12:18 PM

I'm not sure if its TOTALLY untrue. Nor, I'm saying I'm right. But the hack enables the trackpad to sense 2 fingers going in a circular motion to scroll the page up and down, right? Because when I was at the Apple store, if i were to move my fingers (2) in a circular motion, it would move the page up and or down, depending on the motion that I started with, up or down in a circular motion.
For the last time, circular motions depicted on Apple's site demonstrate how you can scroll around large documents that don't fit in a window horiztonally or vertically. The only reason you saw what you saw is because of the upward and downward motion of your fingers. If you use a circular motion on a window that only shows a vertical scroll bar the page will simply move down a little then back up, not continously down. It would be nice if it worked like the iPod wheel (a haxie might allow that), but it doesn't.

RonnieoftheRose
Feb 10, 2005, 12:19 PM

I would also advise people who own Rev A PowerBooks not to try the scrolling touchpad hack as it can disable your keyboard as it did on my 17". If it does do that copy the old kext back to the folder and repair permissions.

tungtied07  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2005, 12:21 PM

For the last time, circular motions depicted on Apple's site demonstrate how you can scroll around large documents that don't fit in a window horiztonally or vertically. The only reason you saw what you saw is because of the upward and downward motion of your fingers. If you use a circular motion on a window that only shows a vertical scroll bar the page will simply move down a little then back up, not continously down. It would be nice if it worked like the iPod wheel (a haxie might allow that), but it doesn't.
Oh ok, I kind of understand it now. thanks I'll be going to the AppleStore soon anyways and will try it out again.
Anyone else tried it out yet? If it works, does it show more system preference options in the trackpad/keyboard settings?

Edit:
RonnieoftheRose, so Apple already had that special trackpad in their Rev A powerbooks that is about a year old? Wow, so Apple must be helding out on us

RonnieoftheRose
Feb 10, 2005, 12:26 PM

If it works, does it show more system preference options in the trackpad/keyboard settings?

Edit:
RonnieoftheRose, so Apple already had that special trackpad in their Rev A powerbooks that is about a year old? Wow, so Apple must be helding out on us
Sysprefs show two check boxes: Enable two finger scrolling, and Allow Horizontal Scrolling.

No I didn't say the Rev A PB has the new trackpad. I said using the hack on an unsupported machine can disable the trackpad or keyboard on reboot.

tungtied07  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2005, 12:30 PM

Sysprefs show two check boxes: Enable two finger scrolling, and Allow Horizontal Scrolling.

No I didn't say the Rev A PB has the new trackpad. I said using the hack on an unsupported machine can disable the trackpad or keyboard on reboot.
Thanks, the site is down. Does anyone have a mirror of the files and directions?
Before doing the hack, make sure if your powerbook has the hardware first (which should have told you on that page)

I think you type in: (not for sure, just going from memory)
iogrep | "W enchanced trackpad"
or something like that, which that hackpage should have shown you.

drprat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2005, 01:52 PM

anyone here with a rev C 12" powerbook been able to get this hack to work? i ran the command: ioreg -l | grep "W Enhanced Trackpad" in terminal and it spit out nothing meaning my trackpad isn't compatible? thanks in advance.

o yea, the site is up and running again.

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2005, 02:09 PM

Originally posted by drprat:
anyone here with a rev C 12" powerbook been able to get this hack to work? i ran the command: ioreg -l | grep "W Enhanced Trackpad" in terminal and it spit out nothing meaning my trackpad isn't compatible? thanks in advance.

If you don't get anything after that command, then you don't qualify.

mduser63
Feb 10, 2005, 02:46 PM

I have a rev C. 12" PB (purchased Nov. 2004) and it works just great for me (see my above post).
12" 1.33 GHz SD Powerbook - 768 MB RAM

jlgrandam
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2005, 02:58 PM

my trackpad is eligible but I don't understand how to install the hack. I never use terminal before, should I wait until someone releases a full installer?
12.1" Powerbook G4

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2005, 03:23 PM

That's what I'm waiting on.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

drprat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2005, 03:29 PM

i dont understand why my rev c 12" pb isnt eligible... i purchased it in aug '04... i presently have sidetrack installed however... is it possible that sidetrack is disrupting the "ioreg -l | grep "W Enhanced Trackpad"" command from properly working? b/c im receiving no feedback after inputting this command.. just a short delay, then an empty prompt...

mrwizard256
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2005, 03:40 PM

i dont understand why my rev c 12" pb isnt eligible... i purchased it in aug '04... i presently have sidetrack installed however... is it possible that sidetrack is disrupting the "ioreg -l | grep "W Enhanced Trackpad"" command from properly working? b/c im receiving no feedback after inputting this command.. just a short delay, then an empty prompt...
Works fine on my PowerBook Rev. C (bought in Nov '04). You need to uninstall SideTrack before iogrep command will show the trackpad information. If you read the link, it says so clearly.

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2005, 03:41 PM

You are correct in your assumptions. Uninstall Sidetrack and run the command again. Sidetrack loads its own driver that does not expose the W Enhanced capability. Good luck!

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2005, 03:57 PM

You are correct in your assumptions. Uninstall Sidetrack and run the command again. Sidetrack loads its own driver that does not expose the W Enhanced capability. Good luck!

littlegreenspud
Senior User
Feb 10, 2005, 04:20 PM

OK 1.5 AlBook bought November.
It works on my trackpad OK, but there are no extra options in my system prefs...

johnpop
Feb 10, 2005, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by MrForgetable:
would anyone like to explain the instructions for installing this for a newb?
Yeah, download the binary x/y file and unzip it. Now go to /Applications/Utilities and open the program "terminal" Which folder is the AppleADBtrackpad.kext or whatever file in? Move it to your home folder that will be easy (the folder with your name...) Now that the terminal is open enter the command "ls" You should see the driver somewhere in the list of files. Now copy and paste

sudo chown -R root:wheel ./AppleADBMouse.kext

enter your password

now copy and paste

sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleADBMouse.kext && sudo kextload ./AppleADBMouse.kext

if it doesn't say it is succesful, post back
12" PB Rev.C 1.33ghz, 1.25gb ram

tungtied07  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2005, 05:46 PM

Thanks for reminding me to disable sidetrack, no wonder the ibook didn't show it has the hardware.
I still wasn't able to test out my Powerbook that I got in July 2004 yet, because its still in repair. On another mac site, people was able to get it working on their 2004 G4 iBooks! (some)

It appears that we had the hardware to be able to do this scrolling, but Apple wasn't able to develop drivers for it?

Another Forum:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...hreadid=109652

neps
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2005, 06:55 PM

Amazing. Got it running in an AI book we picked up a week before the update.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2005, 07:25 PM

Originally posted by johnpop:
Yeah, download the binary x/y file and unzip it. Now go to /Applications/Utilities and open the program "terminal" Which folder is the AppleADBtrackpad.kext or whatever file in? Move it to your home folder that will be easy (the folder with your name...) Now that the terminal is open enter the command "ls" You should see the driver somewhere in the list of files. Now copy and paste

sudo chown -R root:wheel ./AppleADBMouse.kext

enter your password

now copy and paste

sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleADBMouse.kext && sudo kextload ./AppleADBMouse.kext

if it doesn't say it is succesful, post back
it works. thanks. i have a rev. b 15" powerbook G4 1.33ghz purchased in september of 2004. (the day of the imac G5 announcement)
iamwhor3hay

johnpop
Feb 10, 2005, 07:27 PM

It seems the keyboard works better for scrolling than the trackpad..

The arrows for slight scrolls, spacebar for page downs and the fn or command + arrow keys for home or paging

johnpop
Feb 10, 2005, 08:12 PM

Also, it sometimes I try to scroll down in Firefox and the browser navigates backwards, wtf! anyone experienced something similar?

Ruahrc
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2005, 08:56 PM

So uh... I am still relatively new to macs (Windows switcher, Got my PB Sept 04)... how do you ininstall Sidetrack? I am not aware of any sort of "Uninstall" program for OS X? I thought you just dragged "applications" into the trash and that was it?

Except I do know enough to know that some apps are more complex than this, since they put things in other folders (Like sidetrack?)

I also want to know how to "uninstall" Virex as well. Thanks!

Ruahrc

tungtied07  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2005, 09:02 PM

Originally posted by Ruahrc:
So uh... I am still relatively new to macs (Windows switcher, Got my PB Sept 04)... how do you ininstall Sidetrack? I am not aware of any sort of "Uninstall" program for OS X? I thought you just dragged "applications" into the trash and that was it?

Except I do know enough to know that some apps are more complex than this, since they put things in other folders (Like sidetrack?)

I also want to know how to "uninstall" Virex as well. Thanks!

Ruahrc
To uninstall sidetrack, you will need to redownload its installer and then when opening the installer program, you will have an option to uninstall the sidetrack driver and reboot.

pete
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2005, 09:14 PM

I tried it but it didn't work, despite getting an ok on the test first.

There should be something in the system preferences, right? Nothing here.

It works! I was looking for something in the system preferences....

This is great. Much nicer than sidetrack. Cool!

And this is on a rev. A PB al 15 1ghz./...
( Last edited by pete; Feb 10, 2005 at 09:33 PM. )

Ruahrc
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2005, 09:17 PM

Thanks! Is that standard OS X procedure for these special apps, for example will that method work for Virex as well?

Ruahrc

johnpop
Feb 10, 2005, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by pete:
I tried it but it didn't work, despite getting an ok on the test first.

There should be something in the system preferences, right? Nothing here.
no, nothing

CKr
Feb 10, 2005, 10:50 PM

Works on my iBook G4 800MHz bought in February 2004.

AlfaMunky
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2005, 12:21 AM

I have a 15" powerbook from early Jan. Just got the driver working.

I have never installed Side Track or any other trackpad inhancement before. At first when I did the command in the Terminal to check if I had a W Trackpad I had no response. Yet after I restarted and tried the command in the Terminal again it came back w/ the good news that I had a W Trackpad. I may have simply entered the command incorrectly the first time but I would recommend a restart before trying this.

Really neat feature.

pxlshftr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2005, 01:58 AM

IMPORTANT FIX FOR FIREFOX

To let you guys know, Firefox comes with a feature enabled that allows you to use mice with horizontal scroll buttons for navigating back and forth. Using either the new Rev D powerbooks with their horizontal scrolling OR the new driver being discussed on this thread will invoke this horizontal scrolling to do back and forward. To turn this feature off and enable regular horizontal scrolling, go HERE

http://www.macosxhints.com/article....040617000005758

ALSO, just to let you know, I work in at an Apple reseller, and we've installed the driver being disucssed in this thread on some older PBs, and it seems to work a lot like the one that is on the new Rev D powerbooks, but its not quite the same. As the developer of Sidetrack so eloquently put it, keep in mind that this is a Functionally equivalent solution, but it is not the exact same thing that apple did to enable the option on their new powerbooks, so the feature doesn't quite work the same. On the powerbooks i've tested with this experimental driver, the scrolling seemed more erratic and sensitive when moving your fingers in any direction. You have to be more careful of how you let go of the trackpad or else the driver might sense your finger's slightest movement in any directino and before you stop scrolling, the driver will scroll you in a weird unexpected direction. Its pretty close to working the same, but not quite there.

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 11, 2005, 09:18 AM

Unix gods:

How do I get this enhancement to stick after a reboot?

Forum Links
Forum Rules