Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > trackpoint on powerbook?

trackpoint on powerbook?
SassyPants
Apr 25, 2005, 05:53 PM

Anyone think it'll ever happen? Anyone think its a good idea? I just like trackpoints better than touchpads if i don't have a mouse, that's all lol.

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2005, 06:15 PM

no it won't happen lol

not a good idea lol

i like trackpads better and so does steve jobs lol

17" 2.33GHz C2D MacBook Pro / 320GB / 2GB

drprat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2005, 06:56 PM

trackpoints are more of a pc thing... haha... i'm a big fan of the trackpoint on ibm thinkpads... very precise and comfortable... most ppl feel that trackpoints are difficult to use, but once you get use to them, many don't go back... i've used both trackpads and points extensively and to me it makes no difference... it's a very subjective thing for most ppl however...

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 07:07 PM

Apple was the first to use the trackpad - there is zero chance that they would change to a trackpoint!

ibook_steve
Apr 25, 2005, 08:44 PM

One of my favorite repeated topics of discussion. See my previous responses:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...ghlight=nipple

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...ghlight=nipple

Yes, I searched on nipple.

Steve

SassyPants  (op)
Apr 25, 2005, 10:23 PM

well it coudlnt' hurt to add it tho :-P. i mean, its not much to add on to the hardware. what do you need, the nipple? that's it? and who says you can't use both teh trackpad adn the trackpoint? the IBM's have both on them, and give people the the dual option.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2005, 12:02 AM

Well, it would add cost to the PowerBooks, and really there hasn't been an outcry of people wanting something other than the trackpad.

Since Apple was the first to use the TrackPad, they wouldn't add some other type of pointing device now. It would almost be like admitting that they were wrong in the past. To azdude's comment, Steve Jobs is not known for saying that he is wrong. (Notice that there is still only one button on an Apple Mouse)

With Bluetooth, you could always get an external mouse... I use one when I'm at home.

mariahlullaby
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2005, 07:35 PM

I hope they don't mar the PB with a trackpoint. I used my dad's IBM trackpoint for just a few hours and my hand was cramping (really painfully). Trackpads are much sleeker and easier to use IMO.

Forum Links
Forum Rules