Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > no automatic rejoining Airport network since Tiger

no automatic rejoining Airport network since Tiger
bbales
Mac Elite
May 3, 2005, 10:23 AM

I posted this much earlier but ...

On some other boards, it's been noted that since Tiger, PBs no longer are rejoining airport networks. (At least SOME aren't -- and I would be among them).

I've tried re-putting in my password and repairing permissions. Anyone else have this problem -- and more importantly, has anyone else SOLVED this problem. It's not a huge, huge deal, but it is truly an annoyance to ahve to remember to click on the network bars, when previously everything just ... worked.

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2005, 11:14 AM

Actually I was having the same problem on Panther, since about 10.3.5.

However, I'm trying a new option that I've heard is helping... but I haven't tested it out myself.

Network Prefpane --> Location/Network Setting Page --> Configure --> Options -->

Change to:

If No Recent Networks are Found:
Keep looking for recent networks
17" 2.33GHz C2D MacBook Pro / 320GB / 2GB

Mithras
Professional Poster
May 3, 2005, 11:28 AM

Under "By default, join:" I have only one option: "A specific network."
I thought I used to be able to choose "any available network", or "strongest network", or something like that?

kcmac
Mac Elite
May 3, 2005, 12:02 PM

Mine is set on Automatic. Works as advertised. I had no problems in Panther either.

bbales  (op)
Mac Elite
May 3, 2005, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by kcmac
Mine is set on Automatic. Works as advertised. I had no problems in Panther either.
I had no problems in Panther, but am in Tiger. Actually, it seems to be working better today -- as long as it's on my user account. There's a hangup when switching users. And as I said, before it was seamless.

samson1286
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2005, 04:09 PM

ok, here is what i had to do. go to the tab for location in network pref. then choose to create a new location. name it whatever you like. choose that location and apply now without changing any settings. now delete your old location and rename the new one with the old one's name, if you like. you should now be good to go.

bbales  (op)
Mac Elite
May 4, 2005, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by samson1286
ok, here is what i had to do. go to the tab for location in network pref. then choose to create a new location. name it whatever you like. choose that location and apply now without changing any settings. now delete your old location and rename the new one with the old one's name, if you like. you should now be good to go.

OK, I've tried this. I've reset, restarted, reapplied settings.

Has anyone who had the "no automatic joining of any network" problem with airport under Tiger solved it (except for Samson?). I'm running out of ideas.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2005, 02:26 PM

Meh, this whole issue is still not completely fixed by Apple.

I have heard all kinds of different settings and suggestions, and NONE works in every case.
I had loads of problems myself since Panther.

Right now, it works maybe in 70% of the times.

-t

PubGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2005, 10:17 PM

I had this probelm too, and found that if your settings are migrated over, you don't see both options.

Here's how I solved this:
Open System Pref --> Network
Create a new location
Select "Show" --> Network Ports Configuration
Move the Airport to the top of the list
Deselect all other connections
Now select "Show" --> Airport

You should now have the option to select "Automatic" or "Prefered Networks"
You can now explicitly add in your network along with the password
Don't forget to set your other options for the Airport connection

This solved my problems -- give it a try.

Mithras
Professional Poster
May 4, 2005, 10:21 PM

Thanks PubGuy! The new interface indeed showed up, and it looks like it's much better to boot.

kcmac
Mac Elite
May 4, 2005, 11:55 PM

Good advice Pubguy. That is the way mine is set up. I had forgotten that I did this long ago.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
May 5, 2005, 12:04 AM

My auto joins are the same as they were in Panther; at home, it's automatic, while at work, I have to manually set it.

bbales  (op)
Mac Elite
May 5, 2005, 09:10 AM

In my efforts to fix the problem I have created much worse ones! After a reset of the base station my whole network just disappeared. In its place was an Apple one, with letters and numbers. On the upside, at least it works. On the downside, what happened to mine? And printing -- on EITHER machine, no longer works at all. (Printer was connected to the base station.)

I tried using airport administrator to reconfigure the base station. Airport admin can't even find the base station -- at all. There's nothing there.

But, at one point it appeared (and I upgraded the firmware). On the plus side, man is Safari fast now. On the downside, I still don't have my old network, printing still does not work, automatic re-joining has worked once and things are a mess.

This morning, I'm going to shut everything down in hopes of at least getting printing back up. I'll worry about the rest of the mess later. I did find, on Apple's site, a way to "start over" with a base station. Over the weekend, if I have to, that's what I'll do.

Watch -- I'll go through all this and I STILL won't have automatic network joining.

slider
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2005, 11:43 AM

Thank you PubGuy,

Solved my issue as well, Much appreciated!

slider

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2005, 11:48 AM

Hmm, I have a PB17 and a Mac mini with AirPort, both on Tiger and never had a problem with networks. A few days ago, I went out to work by the pool for a few hours and latched onto a neighbor's signal (cough, cough) now and then to check email.
Soon as I got back home and woke the PB from sleep, it went right to my network. Same if I go out to a coffeeshop with wireless Internet access.

Both Macs were Archive + Install method.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Forum Links
Forum Rules