Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Spotlight - Search by Kind: others -- sloooowwww

Spotlight - Search by Kind: others -- sloooowwww
workerbee
Mac Elite
May 4, 2005, 06:59 AM

I'm probably doing something completely wrong, but: when I hit command-F in the Finder to get the new Spotlight search window, and then select "Others..." in the "Kind" menu, my PowerBook goes into a frenzy and tops out the CPU, assembling its list of files types I can search for or in.
The list of these file types (in the drop down menue at the right of the "Others..." menu) starts with "Adobe ImageReady" and "Adobe PDF" and keeps updating itself, until about 90 seconds later it finally has assembled all file types and starts with .NET document (!) and .SGI. Only then can I for example enter "Omni" and have the drop down menu open and select the first entry with "Omni". Before that the dropdown menu does some funky stuff, jumping this way and that way.

http://www.philby.net/spotlight.mov (6.3 MB)

As soon as I close this Finder search window, open a new one and type command-F, this little drama repeats itself.

Shouldn't the Finder memorize what file types are present on the system and what Spotlight plugins are present?

Searching for OmniGraffle drawings after this list has updated is nice and fast, searching for content in OmniOutliner files is great... but having to wait 90 seconds each and every time before I can do this reliably is a bit of a letdown, IMHO.
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

JayJay1974
May 4, 2005, 07:35 AM

This happens to me too on my 2 month old 17" PB. It seems as thought Spotlight doesn't cache the file types. Annoying to say the least.

JayJay1974

lupin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2005, 08:32 AM

Same on my dual 1.8 G5, but it seems to take even longer then 90 seconds.

Mr Scruff
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2005, 09:01 AM

Yep, I posted about this on the other spotlight complaints thread.

I'm surprised this made it through testing.

workerbee  (op)
Mac Elite
May 4, 2005, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Scruff
I'm surprised this made it through testing.
Testing? What testing?

I just sent a bug report to Apple, and I'm surprised that this and this (notice the absence of 10.4 in the list of "Select OS version") made it through testing.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2005, 10:15 AM

This is instant for me.

Chris Grande
Senior User
May 4, 2005, 08:37 PM

I can 't even type anything into that field, Finder gets the spinning ball of death. Have to Force Quit the Finder.... Testing.... hahaha.... yea.. right.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2005, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Grande
I can 't even type anything into that field, Finder gets the spinning ball of death. Have to Force Quit the Finder.... Testing.... hahaha.... yea.. right.
On my G4/450, it eventually finishes beachballing... but not soon enough to make it worth it...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

workerbee  (op)
Mac Elite
May 5, 2005, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
This is instant for me.
Opening a Finder "Find" window, changing the "Kind" from "Any" to "Others" does not make your Mac go search its harddisk for stuff to put into the drop-down selection? Can you immediately enter "tex" to make the selection go to "text" or "TEXT" and stay there, for example?

Hmmm... I wonder what the difference could be between your setup and everyone else's in this thread.

moodymonster
Mac Elite
May 5, 2005, 10:56 AM

mine beachballed, tried it again - eventually popped up with a list (which showed through into the Safari window) - then the finder crashed - 10.4 does have a few rough edges doesn't it

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2005, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by workerbee
Opening a Finder "Find" window, changing the "Kind" from "Any" to "Others" does not make your Mac go search its harddisk for stuff to put into the drop-down selection?
The combobox-menu thing opens instantly.
Can you immediately enter "tex" to make the selection go to "text" or "TEXT" and stay there, for example?
All right, typing into the combo-box makes the Finder beachball for mee too. But you said in your first post that just opening the menu makes it beachball and that was all I was testing. Opening the menu is instant and selecting a kind from the menu by clicking is no problem too.

kilechki
Forum Regular
May 5, 2005, 12:15 PM

Opening a Finder "Find" window, changing the "Kind" from "Any" to "Others" does not make your Mac go search its harddisk for stuff to put into the drop-down selection? Can you immediately enter "tex" to make the selection go to "text" or "TEXT" and stay there, for example?
Although I have a lot of griefs towards Spotlight, this works fine for me (french clean install). Even typing in the combo field leads me instantly to the first letter of this type. Weird.

workerbee  (op)
Mac Elite
May 5, 2005, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
The combobox-menu thing opens instantly.All right, typing into the combo-box makes the Finder beachball for mee too. But you said in your first post that just opening the menu makes it beachball and that was all I was testing. Opening the menu is instant and selecting a kind from the menu by clicking is no problem too.
I'm sorry if I was unclear... and thanks for re-testing! Actually, I don't often get the beachball -- but the entire thing is really quite slow, and I can hear my disk starting to do heavy work as soon as I change the selection to "others".

Forum Links
Forum Rules