Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Spotlight = instant Finder update?

Spotlight = instant Finder update?
workerbee
Mac Elite
May 29, 2005, 05:17 PM

Hmmm... somehow I was under the impression that this dumb behaviour was finally behind us, and that thanks to Spotlight the Finder knew what was what on my disk...

[ALL inline images must be no wider than 480 pixels. --tooki]

Obviously the task of displaying what is currently on the disk is still beyond the capabilities of OS X Finder
( Last edited by tooki; May 30, 2005 at 12:59 PM. )
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2005, 05:35 PM

I'm sorry: What?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2005, 05:36 PM

The Finder displays changes to local files instantly in Tiger. That has nothing to do with Spotlight though.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2005, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
I'm sorry: What?
I guess he is complaining about the sorting order or something.

workerbee  (op)
Mac Elite
May 30, 2005, 02:21 AM

Sorry if I didn't put it very clearly: what I'm complaining about is the Finder obviously still not being able to display correct "modified" informations. All the movies in my screenshot were changed that day (May 29), and the way the Finder lists them is technically correct.
However, I'm rather disappointed that it is still asked too much of the Finder to not only know but also reflect this in its listing. Why is that such a hard thing to do?
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

macmike42
Senior User
May 30, 2005, 10:34 AM

Only somewhat related, but in Tiger's column view, create a folder, which should be called "untitled folder". Now rename it to something that would alphabetically sort higher in the list. Note that it doesn't move. Try the same thing in list view sorted by name, and the folder *does* move.

Not sure which behaviour I like better, but the former is clearly not the "traditional" Mac way, and since both views exhibit different behaviour, it can only be concluded that even something as tight as Spotlight cannot fix the (still) fundamentally broken Finder.

Boy did I have fun explaining to my roommate, who just bought a 15" PowerBook after 5 years with an Inspiron, the entire philosophy behind why "my f****ng windows won't stay where I put them". I did my best to represent both schools of thought equally
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP

Toyin
Mac Elite
May 30, 2005, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by macmike42
Only somewhat related, but in Tiger's column view, create a folder, which should be called "untitled folder". Now rename it to something that would alphabetically sort higher in the list. Note that it doesn't move. Try the same thing in list view sorted by name, and the folder *does* move.

Not sure which behaviour I like better, but the former is clearly not the "traditional" Mac way, and since both views exhibit different behaviour, it can only be concluded that even something as tight as Spotlight cannot fix the (still) fundamentally broken Finder.
It resorts on my machine in column-view. There is a slight delay though.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

Forum Links
Forum Rules