Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Looking for my first car...

Looking for my first car... (Page 3)
V12  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 16, 2005, 12:53 PM

In drivers ed we do drive, after the first few lessons on the road of basic driving and manuevering we have been practicing defensive driving, i have also drove in rain, not just a drizzle either, i feel safe with myself in my car, as does my instructor, however i am moreso scared of otehr drivers..

btw, budster i like that quote, i wrote it down so ill always remember that.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jul 16, 2005, 02:55 PM

There is nothing that is going to prepare you for driving in the rain at night on a highway with a bunch of lunatic SEMI truck drivers.

That's like saying you just got done with your first basic programming class and are going to wipe the floor of the world with the best gaming programmers... experience, experience, experience. Give it 2 years before you become too cocky and get into an accident...

It's when you become too comfortable behind the wheel when bad things happen.

Glad you will remember that quote. I ripped part of it off from someone, can't remember who.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2005, 03:26 PM

Alfa 156 sportwagon

V12  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 16, 2005, 03:28 PM

that's true, i guess i feel comfortable enough to get in a car...of course expiernece is key...

i dont know what it is but i really cant get in a 1000 dollar car, if anything i want to at least get a safe and reliable car and i dont want to have to worry about about problems with the car, another thing is that where i live no body has that type of cars, out of all my freinds and classmates, the lowest car one has is a nissan altima 2004, while i am not the type of envious or jealous person i dont want to be the one who has a 1985 caviliar lol (not that i see nothing wrong with that for others)...

i guess i see it as i worked somewhat hard in saving, and not wasting this money on other stuff(the only time i took money from this was when i took about 1400 out for my powerbook) that i want to reward myself with something nice, i might just drive my fatehrs second car for a couple of months, try to take in some more hands on expierence, then get a car i can call my own...

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2005, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by V12
if anything i want to at least get a safe and reliable car
Don't forget to put aside $30 for the carpet slippers and pipe.

Dang dude. How are old you? 70? I thought you wanted fun, not "safe and reliable".
If it doesn't scare hippies, it's not worth listening to

V12  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 16, 2005, 03:58 PM

yea. all of the above i want

thats why i think my best choice is a audi a3 or acura tl....or even the new jetta

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 16, 2005, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by V12
that's true, i guess i feel comfortable enough to get in a car...of course expiernece is key...

i dont know what it is but i really cant get in a 1000 dollar car, if anything i want to at least get a safe and reliable car and i dont want to have to worry about about problems with the car, another thing is that where i live no body has that type of cars, out of all my freinds and classmates, the lowest car one has is a nissan altima 2004, while i am not the type of envious or jealous person i dont want to be the one who has a 1985 caviliar lol (not that i see nothing wrong with that for others)...

i guess i see it as i worked somewhat hard in saving, and not wasting this money on other stuff(the only time i took money from this was when i took about 1400 out for my powerbook) that i want to reward myself with something nice, i might just drive my fatehrs second car for a couple of months, try to take in some more hands on expierence, then get a car i can call my own...
Get a 1992-1997 accord. They'll be under 5 grand, and if you stuff it into a wall you won't feel too bad.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2005, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by V12
In drivers ed we do drive, after the first few lessons on the road of basic driving and manuevering we have been practicing defensive driving, i have also drove in rain, not just a drizzle either, i feel safe with myself in my car, as does my instructor, however i am moreso scared of otehr drivers..

Please do not fool yourself. And don't say that you aren't fooling yourself because you are. People in here who say that you need practice and that your basic drivers education doesn't mean all that much say that for a reason, the reason is not to annoy you or whatever.

When I watch the evening news here and there is a report on persons killed in car crash it will always be people under 24. ALWAYS. I can't remember a report stating that a killed driver was over 24. Sure there are older people that die in traffic but the most are under 24. People who think they can do everything and be invincible. That pole they ran into was the invincible one.

Oh and if there is one golden rule: keep your distance.

About the cars: so let's say you have found your car. You spend everything you have. Now, what ? Insurance (every bloody year), possible taxes, gas, repairs, maintenance. Who's going to pay for all that ?

Let's take a look at the cars you're interested in:

Acura TL 2004: probably very good but as ugly as it's good. But it'll last.
Jetta: aaah, the Bora, if guess you wan't to look cool, right ? Then don't buy this.
2005 scion tC: same comment as the Acura.
infiniti g35 sedan 2003. Sedan ? If you get this then please get a coupé. Beautiful car.
Audi TT ? Please. It's a Golf in lingerie and everybody has them. Hairdressers car.
The M3 ? A coffin on wheels. Previous generation has notoriously bad traction in the rain. Great car but I guarantee that you can't handle it. And as someone before said: You won't even appreciate it.

Pff, now that I think about it: 75% of cars sold in the states look the same, sooo boring.

But they all have the same problem, they are expensive. You ARE throwing your money out of the window. Could you tell me how you are going to keep the car runnig ? Working at McDonalds every weekend ? I wish I could give you a decent alternative but I can't because I don't know the US second hand market all that well.

You are a snob, admit it . I'm the same, I come from a fairly well off family where everybody drives BMW, Porshes, Mercedes' etc. But I always try to be different, I buy cars that make me feel good, reliability doesn't mean too much these days. Most cars are good enough these days and you'll crash or sell the car before it starts to malfunction anyway. Too bad you can't get the Alfa 156 like badidea suggested.

I guess you could get a Mini Cooper or something like that, but they are ridiculously overpriced as well. Dunno how much they are second hand. My advice to you is that all fairly modern cars are safe and reliable and I suggest you spend a max of 7k (or maybe 8k, the dollar is weak ) on a car that suits you and one that's a bit original. Those Japanese cars are as boring as they come. And save the rest of your money again.

PS: what is drivers ed exactly ? Over here you take a certain amount of obligatory lessons and for the next 3 to 9 months it's your parents that practice together with you. After that you can do your practical exam. You have to do a theoretical exam before you are able to obtain your temporary drivers license (the one you use during practicing). Is that the same over there ? Or is drivers ed something you do out of free will ?

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 16, 2005, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
Those Japanese cars are as boring as they come.
?!?!?!?!?!

All of these are cheap, reliable (RX7 excluded), and have quite a bit of personality. There's tons of cool japanese cars, and htey cost a shitload less to maintain than any german car.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2005, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by suvsr4terrorists
?!?!?!?!?!
I was talking about the new stuff, they all look exactly the same. And by boring I meant "look" not ride/performance whatever. And you know that I meant that

All of these are cheap, reliable (RX7 excluded), and have quite a bit of personality. There's tons of cool japanese cars, and htey cost a shitload less to maintain than any german car.
I absolutely agree. It's just that current crop of Japanese cars sold in the US. A la Infinity, Acura, Scion all look absolutely the same and are quite boring look-wise. But they are great cars.

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 16, 2005, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
I absolutely agree. It's just that current crop of Japanese cars sold in the US. A la Infinity, Acura, Scion all look absolutely the same and are quite boring look-wise. But they are great cars.
I really like hte scion TC. It performs well, it's cheap, the fit and finish is fantastic, and it has a lot of cool features that give it a lot of character. The RX8 has a lot of character also.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2005, 12:58 AM

All of these are cheap, reliable (RX7 excluded)
Actually a FC (second generation) non turbo RX-7 is fairly reliable. Their unreliable reputation was mainly the result of the sequential twin turbo, and inadequate stock cooling in all the FD (third generation) models, like the one I had. Prior to my '94 FD, I had a '88 FC, which had nearly 200,000 miles on it before it succumbed to an unnoticed exhaust leak.

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2005, 05:58 AM

i agree, most japanese cars look alike -- but i'll go on a tangent and say a lot of german cars look like japanese cars, lol..

The jetta looks like a toyota and the new passat looks like an altima (albeit quite sexier)...

If I could grab a new car right now it'd be a 2006 passat TDI... not too fast, very good on mileage, roomy... and not boring But it's hard to find interesting 4 door cars.
Aloha

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 17, 2005, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by V12

Driver's ed doesn't teach you skill. Skill you can only get by driving for years.

Skill you need to drive "fun cars" to their potential.

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2005, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by V12
i might just drive my fatehrs second car for a couple of months, try to take in some more hands on expierence, then get a car i can call my own...

Yes this is what you should do. This will give you the experience you need to pick out a car that feels comfortable to you. Its hard to recomend cars for people since people put priorities on different things. But since you asked... I'd say find out what things are minor annoyances to you in cars and then imagine that these things will be greatly amplified anoyances if you buy a car with them.
To me some important things are: noise, some gangster wannabies like loud cars but it give me a headache and sounds cheap. Vision, gas milage; and look into a manual transmision. You will hate it for the first 6 months but you'll never go back to automatic. Having a stick allows you to be better aware of your speed and power while driving.

If you want to spend 25 on the car, look for a car that costs 22 and the other 3 grand will find a way to mysteriously disappear into that car through initial taxes, amenities, warranty, top of the line radar detector, laser turets, jet engines, insurance, bullet proof glass and what not. I don't know how much money you really have but 25k is not a good number in my book to shoot for in cars. I'd look for one thats 21 or less or 33-50. Just from personal experience you don't get much bang for your buck since 25 is the high end of the low end... if that makes any sense. Many people probably have a different opinion. Just get something thats as practical as you can, try to get fun car if thats what you want but practical is most important. Many young people I know bought a "fun" car and sold it a year later for better conviences.

...And the most important lesson you will ever learn; Better to be on time than safe.

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 17, 2005, 04:35 PM

The point is he invested 25 grand.... and since he's such a good little invester, you think he'd ****ing realize that a 20,000 dollar car is only worth 12-15 in just 2-3 years, and in 5 years it might be worth even under that. Cars are horrible investments. Hence why he's not spending his own money, but he can't admit that.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2005, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by el chupacabra
and look into a manual transmision. You will hate it for the first 6 months but you'll never go back to automatic. Having a stick allows you to be better aware of your speed and power while driving.
Automatic transmissions should be forbidden while learning to drive anyway. People who can't drive a manual, can't drive seriously. You can get an automatic later on when you're a bit older and more experienced or are constantly stuck in traffic.

I would love to have a manual gearbox with shift gate and a clutch pedal and an "auto" button for when you're stuck in traffic tho'

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 17, 2005, 06:05 PM

I think having an auto is a nice thing while learning, that way you don't stall it in traffic and piss people off.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2005, 06:07 PM

20k for a car and 2-3k for insurance and the rest for gas money
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 17, 2005, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by stevesnj
20k for a car and 2-3k for insurance and the rest for gas money
You guys are nuts.

How about 5-10k for a wagon, money for a kayak, camping gear, air tickets, toll money, hotel money, food money, and roadtrip whenever the hell you feel like it iwth all your friends?!

V12  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2005, 06:52 PM

yea none of that really interests me, however i am looking at a wagon now, and the a3 is a wagon, but like i said out my price range

scion tc seems to be the best bet right now, plus its considered a sub-sedan which wont be as bad as a sports car(coupe) on my insurence. its fairly priced (18k loaded) and will probably last years

as far as the investing goes, yes i know cars depreciate, as does almost anything else, my powerbook has probably deprecitaed at least 20% by now...but thats what i saved the money and thats what motivated me to do so, by time im ready for a new car hopefully ill be in my first steady job, and can afford something better....

as for the manual transmission goes id love ot have that but living in the city that will kill my leg when i am in traffic and i am cluching every 15 feet to stop and go

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2005, 07:09 PM

A wagon?
Aloha

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 17, 2005, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by V12
yea none of that really interests me, however i am looking at a wagon now, and the a3 is a wagon, but like i said out my price range

scion tc seems to be the best bet right now, plus its considered a sub-sedan which wont be as bad as a sports car(coupe) on my insurence. its fairly priced (18k loaded) and will probably last years

as far as the investing goes, yes i know cars depreciate, as does almost anything else, my powerbook has probably deprecitaed at least 20% by now...but thats what i saved the money and thats what motivated me to do so, by time im ready for a new car hopefully ill be in my first steady job, and can afford something better....

as for the manual transmission goes id love ot have that but living in the city that will kill my leg when i am in traffic and i am cluching every 15 feet to stop and go
Manuals really aren't that bad in the city. At least not with a little baby car like a TC. If it was a performance car, like a 350 Z or somethign with a stiff clutch, then I'd agree with you, but driving my wife's accord is no problem.

PS: It's still effing stupid to blow most of your entire savings account on a car. It isn't worth it.

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 17, 2005, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Link
A wagon?
Wagons rock. Utility of an SUV, performance and ride of a car. They're great. You can still do stuff without driving a POS. My SVX is great for roadtripping with only 2 people, but fitting 3 people's luggage and sitting in the back seat sucks for more than a 2 hour drive. If I hadn't put as much into my SVX, I'd be getting a 5spd legacy GT.

V12  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2005, 08:10 PM

Wagons rock. Utility of an SUV, performance and ride of a car. They're great. You can still do stuff without driving a POS. My SVX is great for roadtripping with only 2 people, but fitting 3 people's luggage and sitting in the back seat sucks for more than a 2 hour drive. If I hadn't put as much into my SVX, I'd be getting a 5spd legacy GT.

yea thats what i think i may do for my first few months, my dads second car is a 2003 hyaundai elantra gt(hatchback/wagon) (uses it for bad weatehr and when we need the storage space to move something). he said he'll allow me to use it when hes not and to gain some more expeircnce, however he said there is no way hes letting me drive his main car...

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 17, 2005, 09:53 PM

Hyundai Elantra GTs rock. Drive that dude. Then think about getting one. They're pretty versatile, and fun to drive from what I hear. Just keep in mind that the faster and better a car handles the less fun it is to drive at slow speeds.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2005, 01:48 AM

I think having an auto is a nice thing while learning, that way you don't stall it in traffic and piss people off.
Yeah maybe, but with a manual yeah learn to think about more things at the same time while driving, which is something VERY important.
Stalling is a non-issue. When you learn to drive you have this "L" sticker on your rear windshield so people know that you are learning. When they get agressive with you they get huge fines anyway.
When you learn to drive with an auto box here you aren't allowed to drive with a manual.

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2005, 02:39 AM

Yeah, I suppose wagons are neat for that sorta stuff, but I don't really need (or want) one right now I don't even understand hatchbacks though, they're so short that the trunk could be just as useful, though I'm sure hatchback enthusiasts will argue otherwise.
Aloha

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 18, 2005, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Link
Yeah, I suppose wagons are neat for that sorta stuff, but I don't really need (or want) one right now I don't even understand hatchbacks though, they're so short that the trunk could be just as useful, though I'm sure hatchback enthusiasts will argue otherwise.
Trunks are small. Hatchbacks can carry bigger things.

budster101
Baninated
Jul 18, 2005, 10:35 AM

Get a Corvette, it comes with a hatchback.

V12  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2005, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by budster101

just what i want, a fiberglass deathbox!!!

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 18, 2005, 12:43 PM

deathbox? hardly.

budster101
Baninated
Jul 18, 2005, 12:53 PM

Yep, HARDLY. Got hit directly on the side driver's door... there is a steel beam inside to protect you. I know first hand. Tested and found effective.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2005, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by V12
just what i want, a fiberglass deathbox!!!
So you're 17 and you want a fun car.

Sorry dude. If you're 17 and you're worrying about cars being "deathboxes" then you've probably had your fun glands removed already.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2005, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by budster101

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 18, 2005, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by jasonsRX7
Not, that would be a Camaro driver.

He couldn't afford a vette,

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2005, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Zimphire
Not, that would be a Camaro driver.

He couldn't afford a vette,
Or a Camaro driver that "trades up" to a 12 year old Vette.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 18, 2005, 03:53 PM

Or a RX7 for that matter.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2005, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Zimphire
Or a RX7 for that matter.
1st or 2nd gen, yes. But not 3rd.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2005, 04:03 PM

Also looks like he couldn't afford a 'vette.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 18, 2005, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by jasonsRX7
1st or 2nd gen, yes. But not 3rd.
?!

1st gen RX7s are great for spec racing. Easy to rebuild, and you can have a complete race car for about three grand! 2nd gens have a lot of potential too!

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2005, 07:36 PM

?!

1st gen RX7s are great for spec racing. Easy to rebuild, and you can have a complete race car for about three grand! 2nd gens have a lot of potential too!
I know I've had a 2nd and 3rd gen. But the 1st and 2gen models were produced in much higher volume, and aren't rare. You'll see a lot more of them that aren't well taken care of. In fact, on a road I travel a lot, I see two 2nd gen and one 1st gen up on cinder blocks that have been there for years.

So that's why I say that it's not uncommon for a 1st or 2nd gen RX-7 to end up as a hick vehicle. Not that they can't be nice, but lots of them aren't.

Forum Links
Forum Rules