Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > rar.txt

rar.txt
Taipan
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2005, 07:50 AM

Hi!

Anyone got an explanation why Safari in Tiger renames .rar-archives I download to .rar.txt?

Madrag
Senior User
Aug 1, 2005, 07:54 AM

maybe to protect the system from a rar containing a virus???? (the post-process of the file could un-rar it (if you have stuffit expander) and it might contain a virus)

Maybe someone can have the official explanation.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2005, 08:33 AM

I'll try a different explanation.

Most likely the server is misconfigured and sends the .rar archive with a text mime-type. Safari respects the mime-type and appends a .txt extension, so that the text file can be opened by the correct application on the Mac.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2005, 08:51 AM

i've downloaded files that show up like that; sometimes (usually after unstuffing or opening), i have to change .txt to the correct extension, then all is well with the universe (more or less )
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Taipan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2005, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
Most likely the server is misconfigured and sends the .rar archive with a text mime-type. Safari respects the mime-type and appends a .txt extension, so that the text file can be opened by the correct application on the Mac.
That was my first thought, I'm just wondering if there's so many misconfigured servers out there. Then again, it doesn't happen 100% of the time. And since Windows probably gives a sh** about mime-types most people won't even notice that their configuration is flawed.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 2, 2005, 11:28 AM

RAR is not so common a format that every server in the world is going to see it as a standard MIME type or offer a special option for it. This is simply a problem of the admin not paying enough attention to the content and making sure content and MIME type match.

As for Windows, I've usually seen a message when I've tried to download odd types that asks how I want to handle them. It ain't "Windows" that handles this; it's the browser. Firefox does a good job of noticing MIME types, though IE is less stringent. IE treats unknown types as either text or binary (based on I don't know what), but will usually cheerfully save the file with its original extension.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules