Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Any reason I can't use a dual 1.0Ghz processor in my MDD 2003?

Any reason I can't use a dual 1.0Ghz processor in my MDD 2003?
brainstorm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2005, 10:24 PM

Any reason I can't use a dual 1.0Ghz processor in my MDD 2003 G4 (M9145). It cam with a 1.25 single but I want to test a dual 867 and a dual 1.0 to see if they are working. I started the Mac with the Dual 867 installed but didn't install the heat sink as I just wanted to see it boot. The processor started to smoke. I could see on of the processors burning. I pulled the plug. Anyway the processor didn't chime.

My mac techician told me that the Dual 867 (in my mom's MDD 2002 - M8570) was bad so we upgraded to a dual 1.0. Only problem is that mac still has problems (starts with a white screen and thats it). I thought maybe the dual 867 wasn't bad afterall and that the problem was something else. I decided to test the old dual 867 in my MDD 2003 (M9145). It didn't come with a dual processor.

My question is... Is there any reason that the dual 867 or the dual 1.0 processors will not work in my M9145 MDD 2003?

Hope someone answers soon as I will probably test it anyway this evening.

Thanks for the help!
Kenny

OreoCookie
Oct 10, 2005, 12:42 AM

You what?!!? You installed a cpu without a heatsink and you are surprised it went up in smoke?? So forget about the dual 867 cpus, they are gone. Never, never ever install cpus without a heatsink. And it is not unlikely that your motherboard got damaged in the process, causing the problems you describe now.

Seeing that you are relatively inexperienced with hardware, I would suggest you ask a professional to have a look at your mac and repair it as well as install the upgrade if the motherboard has survived your attempted upgrade.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Jacob
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2005, 06:58 AM

I work with computers everyday, and you never ever ever ever ever install a processor without a heatsink. Even with those really old Pentium 1's...Especially a Dual Processing board. No way for the heat to disperse properly. There is a large chance the Logicboard is damaged too.
"I cluck, therefor I am."

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2005, 01:12 PM

I started the Mac with the Dual 867 installed but didn't install the heat sink as I just wanted to see it boot. The processor started to smoke.
Does anyone find it ironic that he chose the name brainstorm to post his first ever message about doing this?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules