Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Mac Pro? - I guess I am done with desktops

New Mac Pro? - I guess I am done with desktops
Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2006, 05:26 PM

I have had desktop Macs since the early 80's but lately I have been using a 17 inch Powerbook + 23 inch cinema display and waiting for the Mac Pro announced today. But truth is, now that it is out and while expensive it does look awesome, I realize that it isn't for me anymore. In fact, I have come to love all the benefits of buying laptops and using them as desktop replacements. First, they are easier to purchase given that much of the connectivity like Airport and Bluetooth is built in; second, they provide additional screen when paired with a Cinema display and third, they're portable! Anyway, it is a bit sobering as I am sure the new Mac Pro is a great machine but it is just more computer than I need at this point in time.

crzdc0l0mbian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2006, 06:34 PM

i was messing around with the settings.... on the apple site and u can buy a 18,000 dollar version haha

Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2006, 06:45 PM

Exactly...more than you need. Not more than say...Pixar needs. The Mac Pro has its place for sure.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2006, 10:21 PM

Needs are very individual. For most folks a PB G4 no doubt does very well as a desktop replacement. Unfortunately for graphics pros no G4 laptop reached the category of "does very well," or even close for that matter.

My hope is that the Merom MBPs will meet that desktop-equivalent "does very well category" for Aperture and Adobe Creative Suite 3. Since even the old version of Photoshop likes to see 6-8 GB RAM on board, no box limited to 2 GB will qualify as "does very well." I am hoping for 4 GB or more RAM capability. Just hoping, not holding my breath! Also wishing (not even hoping) for dual hard drives...

Forum Links
Forum Rules