Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New 17 inch macbook pro arrived today!

New 17 inch macbook pro arrived today!
reznamac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2006, 05:30 PM

I finnally recieved my 17 inch mac book pro 2.33 duo core 2. Anyone else get theres yet, or am I the first?

telf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2006, 05:40 PM

was going to get the 17 but im travelling a lot so i got the 15
recieved my new 15inch 233, 160 matte today. its very very nice.

its quiet
not that hot compared to others ive tried in the mac store
screen is great. dont see what the fuss is about for the matte screen

regards
telf

reznamac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2006, 05:55 PM

Ya I got the glossy, which I have no problems with either. I must say my screen is BRIGHT! Im coming from a 1.67 ghz g4 powerbook. I must say it looks to me 200% brighter than my old powerbook. The speed is sick so far (but i haven't done anyhting crazy yet).

saveranger
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2006, 10:47 PM

Congrats!

I was planning on buying a 17" but i wanted to see if there was any uneven brightness on them before i buy.

I noticed that all of the older 17" mbps that i saw had really bad uneven brightness.

Can you tell if there is any on yours? i usually set the background color to #ff8000 to see if there is any.

BWhaler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2006, 05:52 PM

Congrats.

How about some pics?

Also, how is the screen lighting and the fit and finish? And noise problems.

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 17, 2006, 12:18 AM

dosnt 17" seem really big? im stuck on the 15" and i cant move up.

reznamac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2006, 04:40 PM

I'll send some pics on monday powerbook (g4) matte 17" vs glossy duo core 2 17" (Im trying to clean my old g4 powerbook for an ebay sale).

As far as size, I dont have a problem with it. Im a big guy anyways 6'4. I use it at work on a desk next to a crappy dell comp and at home (on the couch on my lap). This thing so far has never even gotten hot at all which really surprises me. My g4 powerbook has gotten a lot hotter than this. The battery life is amazing so far compared to my powerbook as well. I put on max performance settings on all the time too. Ive played world of warcraft at max everything and it barely ran hot.

Nice job on this version of the mac book pro apple

reznamac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2006, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by BWhaler View Post
Congrats.

How about some pics?

Also, how is the screen lighting and the fit and finish? And noise problems.
No noise problems, or uneven brightless except for the bottom left and right corners of the screen (maybe 1/6 of a inch on both bottom corners seems 10% less brighter than the rest of the screen). Its very very very very hard to notice unless our really looking. It doesn't bother me and im a very very picky person when it comes to monitors and screens.

High resolution pics will be in on monday. Im going to need a real high res camera to pick up the corner thing.

BTW one thign I do notice vs a matte screen is that if you have a finger print or smudge on the screen it appears that the screen is unevenly bright on the glossy vs the matte (even though you dont see the smudge, you just see a kinda darker spot (hard to explain)). All you do is whipe it off and then its fine, but I never seen anything like this before. I'll try to capture that on camera too on monday. I'm very happy with everything on this laptop tho, including the screen. The resolution difference is a decient change too from the g4 powerbook that I also have. My Powerbook g4 1.67 17" and is set and maxed at 1440x900 my new Macpro 2.33 17" is set and maxed at 1680 x 1050 (more screen space! )

yeanus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2006, 09:01 AM

Just received mine yesterday (23 Nov), ordered it on 10th. It was supposed to arrive on 1 Dec... Apple has given me a nice surprise!!!

BJNY
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2006, 12:01 PM

What's the best strategy to max out the memory to 3GB?

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2006, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by BJNY View Post
What's the best strategy to max out the memory to 3GB?
Order it with 3gb of ram. Look at it as paying a fee for the convenience of having Apple install the ram for you. No idea if Apple still does this or would do this on a notebook, but I have had to remove third party ram from my G5 for service issues (to make sure it wasn't the low quality third party ram I was using instead of the clearly superior Apple provided ram ), and I would be annoyed to have to do that on my MBP.

My 17" MBP (3gb ram, glossy) showed up Monday 11-20. Love it.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Parvez
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2006, 02:26 PM

How about you guys post some pictures

That would be nice.

ONG
Nov 24, 2006, 02:48 PM

BJNY,
or purchase/install the Samsung (OEM) 2G ram yourself and eBay the 1G you're removing.

Apple MacBook Pro Memory upgrade and hard drive options for all Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz and 2.33GHz models 15" or 17" at OtherWorldComputing.com
( Last edited by ONG; Nov 24, 2006 at 02:55 PM. )

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2006, 06:28 PM

Any rumors if and when the 17 may come in black? I have a silver one. I want a black one.

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2006, 06:30 PM

oh - how rude of me - CONGRATULATIONS on your new 17. I bet you love it. Enjoy it.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2006, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Podolsky View Post
Any rumors if and when the 17 may come in black? I have a silver one. I want a black one.
Apple won't release a Pro product that does not match its Pro line until they plan on a complete appearance change in the Pro line. Case in point: the transition from the old style Cinema Displays that matched the G4s being (after a while) being replaced with the brushed Aluminum displays that match the current Pro line.
No BlackBook Pros anytime soon.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 25, 2006, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
Apple won't release a Pro product that does not match its Pro line until they plan on a complete appearance change in the Pro line. Case in point: the transition from the old style Cinema Displays that matched the G4s being (after a while) being replaced with the brushed Aluminum displays that match the current Pro line.
No BlackBook Pros anytime soon.
You are probably right but if sales of the 17 get slow they could do all kinds of things to give it a boost including something purely cosmetic like color.

allenranger2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2006, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Podolsky View Post
You are probably right but if sales of the 17 get slow they could do all kinds of things to give it a boost including something purely cosmetic like color.
You know, here's the interesting thing about the 17" MBP (I'm saying this coming from a 15" PB G4). I know the laptop seems alot bigger physically, but it really isn't. I showed it to my sister, and if it weren't for the camera on the bezel, she wouldn't have been able to tell the difference between both of them! I see that as well from using my 17" for about 4 days now or so. You still get the massive screen and wonderful resolution, but it seems not to different from a 15". It even fits in my old bag.

As far as price, I think that the 17" is only $300 more than the higher-end 15" MBP. But you get an extra 40 gig hard drive, and faster superdrive. Of course there's the screen, resolution. I think that this 17" will be a decent seller. I don't see black coming anytime soon unless they revamp the entire line.

davesmall
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2006, 08:31 PM

I have a 2GB 17" MacBook Pro - the first core duo issue. I like it a lot.

Seems to me that the next move has to be from a 32 bit architecture to 64 bit.

Apple has completed the transition to Intel.

Next up is the transition from 32 bit to 64 bit. That's what Leopard is really about.

I'm going to hang onto this 17" Macbook Pro until then but I think it's only a few months away at most.

Dave S

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 26, 2006, 04:23 PM

isnt it 64 right now?

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2006, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by MattJeff View Post
isnt it 64 right now?
Core 2 Duo boxes are fully 64 bit right now.

-Allen Wicks

Forum Links
Forum Rules