Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How is a Macbook running CS2 InDesign?

How is a Macbook running CS2 InDesign?
tainice
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2006, 01:18 PM

I am on a limited budget, so a MBP is definitely out of my reach. All I can afford is between a 15" 1.67g PB with 2mb of ram or a 1.83/2.0 MB with 2g of ram. I am using InDesign and Illustrator 90% of time, Photoshop and Office 2004 for the remaining 10%, and my file size is usually under 100mb. So in my scenario, which machine is the better buy?

brokecollegestudentF04
Banned
Dec 23, 2006, 02:07 PM

Id go with the 1.67 Powerbook.. Adobe Apps will run native on it since its a PowerPC.. in my experience Photoshop and Indesign both are slow on my mini with 2GB RAM.. My eMac G4 700 blows the doors off of the mini and the eMac only has 384MB RAM. Id stick with PowerPC until all adobe apps are universal

iREZ
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2006, 03:25 PM

id go with the macbook. i prodominately use illustrator and indesign along with photoshop on my MBP and it runs just as fast as a 1.5 g4 for 90%-95% of the tasks i used it for while running under rosetta. theres a free photoshop beta out and using that alone will show you the speed of dual core machins vs the sloooooooooow single g4's once native apps are released.

theres no need for a G4 unless you want to run classic apps, in which case theres now an option to do so on intel macs. let go of the powerpc...its gone and im sort of glad too. embrace the new intel goodness.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

tainice  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2006, 03:47 PM

iREZ:
Can you tell me the spec of your MPB? Thanks.

Raymate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 24, 2006, 07:40 AM

I use my 1.8 MacBook, and it runs fine, around the same speed as my PowerBook 1.67. just make sure you load it with 2GB RAM or else it is slow
MaBook 1.83 (100 gig - 2 gig)
17" PowerBook G4 1.67Ghz HD screen (100 gig - 2 gig)
G4 1.25Ghz Duel (2 gb - 160 gig RAID S - 200 gig RAID M - OS 9 BOOT version)

http://www.applemk.co.uk

techtrucker
Senior User
Dec 24, 2006, 09:02 AM

Another vote for the MB. Mine, with 2 GB memory, runs CS2 fine (for me), launch times are slow but after that it's just some filters that seem a bit slower than a PB. This way you'll be ready for CS3. Which, by the way, Photoshop CS3 beta is available as a download for registered CS2 users.
MacBook 2.0 160/2GB/SuperDrive
Lots of older Macs

iREZ
Professional Poster
Dec 24, 2006, 02:48 PM

2.0 Core Duo 2gb of RAM and an 80gig hard drive (3gigs available).

the core 2 duos seem to be running faster than the core duo's and seeing how indesign, photoshop, and illustrator are all 2d apps...you really dont need to stress out too much about the gpu.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Forum Links
Forum Rules