Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Looking for cheap TiVo "season pass" equivalent

Looking for cheap TiVo "season pass" equivalent
memento
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2007, 11:16 AM

I have a spare mac. dual 867 G4 MDD. It's already hooked up to my LCD HDTV and stereo. Great for iTunes and quicktime/VLC stuff.

What I want to do is spend <$200 and no monthly fee to get some kind of hardware/software setup that will work like TiVo's "Season Pass".

I don't have digital cable yet. I don't have a cable box and don't want one. I just want a cheap and dirty system where I can tell it to always record a given show and not worry about tapes or discs (I already have a DVD recorder).

thanks!
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2007, 11:24 AM

"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

zerostar
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2007, 11:29 AM

What kind of TV input? I agree Miglia is great, I got the TVMiniHD and it is sweeeeet with Eye TV

memento  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2007, 11:47 AM

Any kind of TV input. Component. S-video. composite. HDMI. VGA.

From what I've been able to gather on the eyeTV, it doesn't have a "Season Pass" feature.

What software comes with the Miglia? Apparently not EyeTV anymore.
Miglia & EyeTV
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

zerostar
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2007, 01:23 PM

I mean what kind of source is your TV, satellite, cable, OTA, HiDef Digital, etc...

You can setup a repeat schedule in Eye TV? Its not as smart as TiVo (no repeats and whatnot) but it does weekly shows...

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2007, 02:31 PM

With the Miglia stuff, you can use TitanTV.com to schedule recordings, or the Miglia software itself.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

memento  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2007, 03:08 PM

Right now I have analog cable and would like it to stay that way as long as possible.

Thanks for the titantv tip. I had no idea! I just took a look at their site and it appears that you can interface to the miglia or the eyetv products without any additional software. 1-click scheduled recording. Or course this is probably what the eyetv software does. The only thing that's not clear is whether or not you can tell it to record show x all the time, so long as it's not a repeat.

Calimus
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2007, 03:59 PM

You asked for cheap, so I'll suggest Bittorrent. If you pay for cable, I personally don't see a problem downloading shows you could have watched/recorded, though the law says otherwise. Azureus has a plugin to parse RSS feeds of torrents and will automatically download new episodes of shows you have specified as they appear.

I don't have a need for it myself as I have 2 tuners in my pvr and rarely have conflicts where I can't record something, but I have a friend who does this and he has most shows ready to watch within 2-3 hours of when they air.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2007, 04:35 PM

Yes, you can repeat record with Miglia.

memento  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2007, 09:31 AM

I checked out the miglia and eyetv software. Knowing that I'd like the wife to be able to use this too I bought the eyetv250 based on the software. It doesn't have the full tivo functionality, but it should suffice.

Forum Links
Forum Rules