Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Apple Confirms Resolution Independence in Leopard

Apple Confirms Resolution Independence in Leopard
Andy8
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2007, 01:46 AM

Apple Confirms Resolution Independence in Leopard Through WWDC Email

Text on right column reads: "We've always valued access to Apple engineers, and WWDC is the best place for that. Leopard's new resolution independence capabilities look sharp, and with the help we'll get at WWDC, our products will too. -Alykhan Jetha, Marketcircle"

Main underlined text reads: "For Alykhan [example developer], that means he'll come away with the knowledge he needs to use Quartz and Cocoa to make his products completely resolution independent."

Resolution independence means overall sharper images (throughout all of the operating system) that have the ability to contain much more detail and clarity. A high density monitor, which would utilize Leopard's resolution independence by providing a larger DPI count, could display as clear as high-resolution magazine print. We also can expect to see new, high-density Apple monitors with the release of Leopard to take advantage of this new technology.

Photographic evidence: (Presented in low-bit color.)

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2007, 04:16 AM

wasn't this confirmed ages ago?
Nice to see a bit of leopard PR come through though!
we don't have time to stop for gas

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2007, 04:33 AM

^ Yes, I think it was, but some were still questioning whether it'd be in Lwopard, or not.
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

JKT
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2007, 06:58 AM

The question isn't whether it will be in Leopard or not (hell, it's mostly there in Tiger already). The question is whether it will be ready for 10.5.0 or not and also whether developers will be ready to support it in their apps with scalable iconography (which is essential for resolution independence to work well - without it, the interface will actually look worse not better, when it is scaled up).

P
Apr 19, 2007, 09:01 AM

Resolution independence wasn't mentioned in the WWDC presentation, but was added to the list of features in the Leopard developer features list back in November or thereabouts. This passed mostly without comment, and it kept on being a "rumored" feature for a lot of people - including me, I only saw that note when it was pointed out to me a couple of months ago.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2007, 09:30 AM

I wonder how much the GPU will be leveraged here with resolution independence.

ie. Will having a dedicated GPU mean for a snappier Leopard?

JLL
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2007, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Resolution independence wasn't mentioned in the WWDC presentation.
Resolution independence wasn't mentioned in the public WWDC presentation.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Forum Links
Forum Rules