Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Camera recommendations

Camera recommendations
peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2007, 03:07 PM

OK, so I have searched, and, although there are a lot of threads on this, I couldn't find what I am looking for....
My budget is around 400USD, and I am looking for a digital camera that will take good indoor, low light spontaneous shots of family etc, plus be a good all round performer for holiday shots etc.
I'm mostly point and shoot, but wanting to experiment with a little more control than my current (very cheap) camera has.
What are your recommendations?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 25, 2007, 07:41 PM

There's a size/quality tradeoff between Ultra-Compact, Compact, and SLR; bigger is better, but if it's so big you won't carry it around then it's no good.

UC: Canon Powershot SD870 IS
Compact: Canon Powershot G9
SLR: Canon Rebel XT (or just the Rebel if you can find one)

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Dec 25, 2007, 08:59 PM

I would suggest any Canon. If you want a camera for indoor spontaneous shots, though, the Canon SD870 is what you want with its wide-angle lens and speedy start-up time.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

warra
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 26, 2007, 09:57 AM

I'd go for Canon as well. I just bought the powershot SD870IS. Aside from looking great, it takes quality pictures. There are manual controls such as long shutter mode* exposure, white balance...you know, the basic manual controls. You can also choose between color modes such as 'Vivid', 'Monochrome', and others. I've had mine for about a month or so now, and I bought it to replace my Casio EX-Z750. The only thing that I really miss from my old Casio is the advanced manual controls. You could adjust everything from the F/Stop to white balance. My new canon doesn't have that control, but I'm sure its a marketing ploy by canon to get me to buy their SLR cameras (which i do intend to buy at some point). Oh, and the image stabilization (IS) and the 3 inch LCD screen are nice too.

My opinion: do your research and know exactly what you are buying, for whatever camera you do buy. You shouldn't have to look up the specs of the camera to make sure it has something you just discovered as it is en route to your house.

My recommendation: a Canon camera at the least, but the 870IS is great so far.

* (Long shutter mode lets you adjust between an exposure of 1 second to 15 seconds, but you can't adjust the regular shutter speed as you like. For instance, you can't change the speed to 1/1600 just because you feel like it. However, decreasing the exposure, aka, making it darker, increases shutter speed.)
PB12 / 1.5 / 80 / 1.25 / SD

peeb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2007, 12:50 PM

Thanks guys - appreciate it - what do you make of the Nikon D40?

Aegis
Forum Regular
Dec 29, 2007, 01:22 AM

I've just entered into the world of photography but a friend of mine has a Nikon D40 and I'm really impressed. The Auto settings work very well so it's not hard to just pick it up and take great photos, but you still have a lot of settings to tinker with so it'd make a great learning camera. It's wonderfully light for an SLR too. I'm really considering getting one.

bearcatrp
Senior User
Jan 3, 2008, 10:08 PM

Check out the cannon S3IS or S5IS. Amazing photos. Alot of different settings can be done. If you need raw files, then would suggest one of the higher DSLR's like the reble.
Randy
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 4, 2008, 12:00 AM

Don't touch the Canon A550, tried one, it was rubbish quality.

Sent it back.

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2008, 04:31 AM

I think my camera may have died, not sure yet but it wouldn't turn on the other day with new batteries in it.

Anyway, I'm not interested in a digital SLR, and I have big hands so an ultra compact is probably out too. Been looking at the Samsung NV cameras, probably an NV7 or NV11 to get the better zoom lens. Anyone got one?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 4, 2008, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
I've just entered into the world of photography but a friend of mine has a Nikon D40 and I'm really impressed. The Auto settings work very well so it's not hard to just pick it up and take great photos, but you still have a lot of settings to tinker with so it'd make a great learning camera. It's wonderfully light for an SLR too. I'm really considering getting one.
Canon dSLRS SO much > Nikon dSLRs. Try one, you'll see.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2008, 03:53 PM

Camera wasn't dead, just had lots of duff batteries lying around! I've had Canon SLR's recommended to me too.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

OreoCookie
Jan 4, 2008, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by JustinHorne View Post
… if you prefer Canon's UI, that is
The D40 is a nice camera, if you prefer it small, have a look at Olympus' line-up.
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Jan 4, 2008 at 04:38 PM. )
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

peeb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2008, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by JustinHorne View Post
Can you be a little more specific? I tried a few out the other day at the camera store and, while I had my favorites, they were not all one brand. There did not seem to be any real difference in build quality or 'feel'.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2008, 05:07 AM

Pentax K 100 D super. Has a 100$ rebate currently.

Pentax | K100D Super Digital Camera (Camera Body) | 19156 | B&H

If you want to shoot low light, don't buy a point-and-shoot. They have tiny sensors. Means: less sensitive to light, and more noise, worse colors...

There is one point and shoot that has an APS size sensor. I think it was a newer Canon. Similar size to a DSLR. I'd go for a DSLR. Don't buy one without seeing it first, and how it lies in your hand (don't underestimate this).

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2008, 09:23 PM

Another vote for the SD870 IS, just an awesome camera! Amazing 3" LCD screen and the pictures are just stunning for a $300+ point & shoot. Very impressed.

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2008, 10:58 PM

If the SD870IS is an improvement on my SD850IS, then I'd say go with that. I've absolutely loved my 850, and it was stepping down from a Nikon D50. I sold my DSLR for portability reasons, and I've been very happy with it.

I've owned quite a few Canons and Nikons, and for a point and shoot, the SD8xxIS line is very nice.
the geek source
Twitter: @thegeeksource

bearcatrp
Senior User
Jan 23, 2008, 09:58 AM

You might want to check out this new camera..
[CASIO] EXILIM PRO EX-F1

Pretty amazing what it can do. I am waiting on reviews when it gets released to see if it holds up to what it states it can do.
Randy
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2008, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
Can you be a little more specific? I tried a few out the other day at the camera store and, while I had my favorites, they were not all one brand. There did not seem to be any real difference in build quality or 'feel'.
Don't let yourself draw into this.

I like Nikon, but Canons are great, too. It's really personal preference.

Find a camera you like handling, then go to a camera testing website (always with a grain of salt), and see, if it hasn't some major minus in picture quality.

If your preferred model passes this step, then you can go ahead and get it.

The way a camera handles and if you like it shouldn't be underestimated.

If you want more research, you can go to photo.net, and read posting about your camera model, or you can sign up and ask your questions yourself. You will get plenty of answers in no time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules