Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Would you buy AAPL at $130ish

Would you buy AAPL at $130ish
V12
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2008, 05:26 PM

Just curious as to how those who follow the markets feel about apple stock right now, especially those who actually use the products and dont base a companies success on inflated expectations (macnn-ers vs. economic analysts)

I personally think at $130 pickin up a few shares for 6 months couldn't be too risky, but who knows in this market.

What's your take?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2008, 05:36 PM

YES!

Though, it's likely too late now. However, I'd still buy at $140... in fact, I did buy at $140 yesterday.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2008, 05:52 PM

Absolutely. In the long run, Apple is going nowhere but up. Buying during a downswing is just good common sense.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2008, 05:58 PM

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2008, 06:42 PM

I'm asking this question to myself as well. I was planning on buying after the MacWorld fallout cleared up, but today's drop made me think twice. I'm not sure how long this is going to be happening. My honest opinion though is that American market is still a little shaky. I believe that Apple is going to go up and it's going to go quite high. I expect a good return on Apple, but don't get in it for the short term. Plan on Investing for several years.
( Last edited by SirCastor; Jan 23, 2008 at 06:49 PM. )
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

flabasha
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2008, 11:51 PM

I think the problem with Apple right now is perception... even though a lot of economic indicators are quite stable, the word has gone around that we're HEADED FOR A RECESSION!!!!@@$!11! And of course, the perception of recession can actually lead to such a thing.

But regardless of whether we are or aren't headed for one, the perception (not reality, I know) of Apple is as a high-priced, almost "luxury" line of electronics and computers. So the thinking is that consumers terrified of recession aren't likely to spend money on computers and iPods, and even LESS likely to buy Apple's version of those products.

Not exactly the best time for Apple to release a feature-crippled, high-priced "style" computer, is it?

Anyway, as the other poster said, it depends on whether you're a short term or long term investor. Short term? Stay far away from an "emotion" stock like Apple. Long term? Buy. Apple is cash-rich, and still provides the best, and coolest, computers and personal electronics around.

At least that's my .02. Or .01 after yesterday's market drop.

V12  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2008, 03:01 AM

being young, i like to day trade when i can and keep my benchmark stocks for the long term, which saved me in this market panic. I was able to make about $700 today in a few trades, mostly banks.

I like aapl and goog for the long haul. Im happy i bought goog at 300 but mad i never got in at apple under 100 =[

As for my market activity tomorrow, i wanna pick up MO, PFE, and look into AEO for the short term.

Hopefully this is a stable bottom, at least for the short term.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2008, 10:03 AM

Forum Links
Forum Rules