Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > dvd/cd drive not writing on MBP, troubleshooting tips needed!

dvd/cd drive not writing on MBP, troubleshooting tips needed!
forumhound
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2008, 08:29 AM

hi all i have a 2 month old mbp and all was well untl last week when the powerbrick went dead (was not attached to the mbp) and now a week later with a new brick i noticed that i cant write dvds or cds. here are the messages:

I have not changed media (in the middle of 100pc spindles for both) and media burns on the pc next to me. I remember reading about caches and what not u can flush for hardware errors, but can't remember where. Anyway, the errors point to media, but I know this media is good...so what to try now? thanks!!!
CCFCCP

Dead MBP 2.2 4gig / New Aluminum iMacs / "Old" iPhones / 1st Gen Ipod Shuffle

firefly
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2008, 08:39 AM

Probably a bad burner, plan a visit to the genius bar.

forumhound  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2008, 08:46 AM

thanks firefly. i know. looks that bad. but the nearest gbar is over 3000 miles away. is there any test that can tell for sure?

ibook_steve
Feb 1, 2008, 03:53 PM

Can you read any disks (do they mount)? Can you write any media at all (CDs maybe)? If not, time to order a replacement drive and install it yourself in Nepal, or use an external burner.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

forumhound  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2008, 10:02 PM

ibook, thanks, all cds and dvds read and mount fine but nothing burns. see errors above. i need to burn bad. i am networked connected to PCs but cant get toast to see a networked pc drives. toast wants an ip address, and drive on pc won't share with blank media? wha?

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2008, 10:46 PM

I had a weird experience a month or two back...
Tried burning a DVD in Toast, and got an error VERY similar to what you got... Drive mad some very odd sounds, etc, etc. I thought the drive died. An hour or so later, it was working perfectly.

The short of it is, I agree, I think it's a drive error. Unfortunately, doesn't sound like your drive is fixing itself, as mine did.

forumhound  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2008, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by JustinHorne View Post
I had a weird experience a month or two back...
Tried burning a DVD in Toast, and got an error VERY similar to what you got... Drive mad some very odd sounds, etc, etc. I thought the drive died. An hour or so later, it was working perfectly.

The short of it is, I agree, I think it's a drive error. Unfortunately, doesn't sound like your drive is fixing itself, as mine did.
Thanks justin. this drive did something like that in 10.4.11, which it was delivered with. CD-rs in toast would not burn, but everything else did. then after leopard install, all was well for a month. isn't there some firmware cache u can flush somewhere? thanks.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2008, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by forumhound View Post
...a 2 month old mbp...
Warranty issue, very easy, call 1-800-SOS-APPL. They will probably send you a shipping box and RMA number for overnight repair.

-Allen Wicks

forumhound  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2008, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
Warranty issue, very easy, call 1-800-SOS-APPL. They will probably send you a shipping box and RMA number for overnight repair.

-Allen Wicks
Gosh i wish it were that simple in nepal. the dealer here has to order the part, then a tech comes to your house to do the repair, or takes the machine back to the shop. the process can take 2 weeks to 2 months. things move slow here. cheers!

Forum Links
Forum Rules