Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Lacie HD 500 USB, which external enclosure?

Lacie HD 500 USB, which external enclosure?
Madrag
Senior User
Apr 3, 2008, 03:10 PM

hello all,

For the sake of my backup needs, I bougth this external USB 2 HD:
LaCie - Desktop Hard Disk - Hi-Speed USB 2.0

Unfortunately, USB 2 on my macs (and on most, as I've now found out from some reading on the internet), don't like it very much and the write speed is averaging at less than 18MBs

I've got a Lacie D2 FW 400 external (160 GB), and by comparison, its speed is blazing fast!

ok, here goes the scenario:

A. I either get a "proper" external with FW (maybe even 800). Initially I bougth this USB because of the price, but this teached me the lesson "cheap comes expensive", so I don't mind paying more for a faster HD.

B. get an external FW enclosure and take this HD out and put it inside the new external box

--
My two problems with solution B. is that I don't know which type of interface/disc it has inside (is it a SATA or IDE?) this is a 3.5" HD, right?
Secondly, if I get an external enclosure and this HD doesn't work well with it, then I've wasted more time + money

Any help will be appreciated.

reader50
Administrator
Apr 3, 2008, 03:51 PM

Open the case, see if the HD is PATA or SATA. Remove some guesswork from the equation. Or if it's hard to open, use Apple System Profiler to "see" the chipset the enclosure uses. Then look up the chipset, see what type HD it supports.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2008, 09:48 PM

When you take the disk out of the enclosure, you've voided the warranty on both. I'd sell the USB external drive and buy a new drive and a Firewire enclosure. I'll provide the links if you tell me what capacity or price you're after.

Madrag  (op)
Senior User
Apr 4, 2008, 05:31 AM

both replies with great tips! thanks!

well, I'm after something that doesn't cost (the HD + enclosure) more than 170 EUR

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2008, 10:56 AM

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the vendors in Europe. I'd guess you can get 750GB given the current exchange rate, but the typical markups may limit you to 500GB.

Madrag  (op)
Senior User
Apr 4, 2008, 12:56 PM

that's one of my options...
I could take this one back to the store and if they take it back, I may get a 750GB Lacie D2 Quadra (which has FW800) for about 219 EUR... It's over my budget, but if I invest on this HD, I'll be set for more time than a 500GB...

BTW: I can't spot the chipset the enclosure uses by any software I've tried (system profiler, tech tools, disk warrior, disk utility...). I'm inclined to return the HD and buy an already "made" external, less hassle for me (I know I could save a lot by building my own, but at this point I'm ready to pay for it, this USB 2 removed some of my strength and now I need a refill )

Madrag  (op)
Senior User
Apr 6, 2008, 07:36 AM

ok, I went back to the store and returned the USB drive, and ordered a lacie 750GB quadra
More expensive than making one myself, but at this point I'm ok with spending more money for something guaranteed/closed

when the new drive arrives, I'll post my review.
Thanks for all the good tips and help given!

Forum Links
Forum Rules