Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > no bootup after force shutdown

no bootup after force shutdown
teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 14, 2008, 11:21 PM

probably not the best idea. this happened at home on my clamshell ibook months ago, which i have not gotten around to fixing. i thought it might be ram but now think i might have screwed up the hard drive by not shutting down properly. guessing i may need to do a clean install and i don't have an install disc. then it happened at work today on my dual G5. OOPS. swapped ram, still same problem: boots up passed white screen, desktop appears with no dock or upper menu bar, then the beachball. any suggestions? thanks in advance.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

reader50
Administrator
Jul 15, 2008, 02:10 AM

You need either a 2nd partition to boot from, or a boot disk with Disk Utility on it. First answer is to try and repair the disk. If that fails (likely based on your description) then it's time for an Archive Install.

Note: hangup followed by boot failure can be caused by a hard drive failure, but the answer is much the same. Install new HD, then boot from install disk and install a fresh copy of the OS.

So I'd say you need to find the install disks for each computer. Or a Tiger retail install disk that works on both. A Leopard disk will reject your iBook G3. If your iBook has a CD drive, then you either need CD retail install disks (Jaguar, Panther, Tiger option), or a USB drive big enough to take an OSX install from the G5.

teknopimp  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 15, 2008, 12:11 PM

as per a recommendation, did the nvram reset, safe boot, fixed permissions and another boot and everything came back. I'll see if that works on the clammy when i get home from work tonight.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

Forum Links
Forum Rules