Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Sharing cable-internet OS X to OS 9

Sharing cable-internet OS X to OS 9
Peabo
Senior User
Dec 31, 2001, 07:56 AM

I'm getting a cable modem on Thurday which will connect to my G4 running OS X via ethernet. I was wondering what software/hardware I'd need to share the connection with an OS 9 Machine (a beige G3). Thanks in advance!
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 31, 2001, 08:08 AM

I used BrickHouse's IP Sharing feature, and it worked pretty well for me until we got a second IP address here. One thing to note about IP sharing is that if you turn your OS X machine off, reboot it, or put it to sleep, your OS 9 machine's Internet connection will get disconnected for the amount of time that the X machine is down.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Peabo  (op)
Senior User
Dec 31, 2001, 08:16 AM

Thankyou! But what about hubs, cables etc? I have nothing so far!
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

real
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 31, 2001, 08:33 AM

get a router thats what I'd do thats just me though. easier a router and 2 enthernet cables thats it. your set. THats just me though
REAL
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

BTP
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2001, 01:41 PM

I have a cool ISP that gives me little hassle and I have a hub that comes off the cable modem and goes to the desktop and then to the airport. If you have to split one IP, then a router might be the way to go, or you can even use software to set yourself up.

Ask your ISP. If you can simply use a hub, that will be quite easy and inexpensive.
A lie can go halfway around the world before the truth even gets its boots on. - Mark Twain

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 31, 2001, 06:10 PM

That's true. An extra benefit of a router is that you can turn either of the machines off whenever you want, without affecting the other.

The benefit of BrickHouse is that you don't need to spend money on a router.

Your choice. Either will work.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

mattstoton
Senior User
Jan 1, 2002, 11:06 AM

In BrickHouse how do I share my connection (ADSL, aka PPPoe)? My DSL modem is hooked up to a Hub, on that hub is an iMac running 10.1.2 and two oldies running OS 8.1. I would like to use the iMac as the server... but I have no clue how to set this up. My iMac's IP for the the network is 10.0.1.3. The other computer's is 10.0.1.4. And, let say my static IP for the DSL is 10.0.1.5 and the router address is (btw, I have no router but it shows this address in my network panel) 10.0.1.6. So what do I do now? Do I only need to go through the assistant and enter that one address when I get to the IP sharing part or there something more I need to do? Which address should I use?

What do I need to do on the computer running 8.1? I use IE.

Sorry for the long post but I really want to share this connection.

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: mattstoton ]
New sig coming soon. Yes, it will violate the sig guidelines :p

Cipher13
Jan 1, 2002, 11:22 AM

I use geeRoute; it's just like doing it manually, but the easy way

Installs the necessary NATD file, configured correctly, and turns on NAT.

I don't know the site for it, sorry, but if you can't find it, I can send it to you.

mattstoton
Senior User
Jan 1, 2002, 03:36 PM

Ok, got it and installed. How do I configure it? How do I setup the machine running 8.1?
New sig coming soon. Yes, it will violate the sig guidelines :p

Forum Links
Forum Rules