Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Jaguar keyboard menu

Jaguar keyboard menu
Taipan
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2002, 04:17 PM

Hi!
I have got a small problem under Jaguar: I am using a German system with only German keyboard layout activated in the preferences. But every time after a reboot I get the US flag in the menu, and I have to go to the preferences to deactivate the US keyboard layout again. Any hint what I could do?
Thanks!

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2002, 06:02 PM

Originally posted by Taipan:
Hi!
I have got a small problem under Jaguar: I am using a German system with only German keyboard layout activated in the preferences. But every time after a reboot I get the US flag in the menu, and I have to go to the preferences to deactivate the US keyboard layout again. Any hint what I could do?
Thanks!
Just to confirm, by "German system," you mean that your main language is set to German? If your main language is English, the English layout will be active by default.

seb2
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 2, 2002, 06:21 PM

i've had the same problem. after every login my freakin' keyboard settings were back to us. -- i have no us keyboard!

the solution is: go to system preferences > international and have a look at the box at the bottom, you can associate every font system with a language; click on latin and you'll probably see english is selected. select german.

the system synchronizes the keyboard layout with the font and if english is chosen for latin...

takes a few times for system preferences to remember that (quit and restart it until it remembers it) and from time to time it'll revert back, but this works for about 20 logins -- better than nothing.

fulmer
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2002, 06:37 PM

once german has been selected as an input method (i.e., keyboard), then you can uncheck/deselect English. One Latin-letter language must be checked, however.

Taipan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2002, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by wataru:

Just to confirm, by "German system," you mean that your main language is set to German? If your main language is English, the English layout will be active by default.
Hi!
Yes, I chose German as language during installation as well as in Ssystem preferences.

seb2
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 2, 2002, 08:24 PM

Originally posted by fulmer:
once german has been selected as an input method (i.e., keyboard), then you can uncheck/deselect English. One Latin-letter language must be checked, however.
of course i can't speak for taipan, but my problem was that the method you describe only worked until the next login/reboot. then, the american keyboard would be selected again -- though i had disabled it before.

duh!

hwshi
Sep 3, 2002, 11:29 AM

same problem here,decided after loading 10.2 to try out the canadian keyboard to see what was different,now everytime i restart i have a freakin us flag.go to sys. prefs and have to uncheck either u.s. or can. to get rid of flags,not huge problem but iratating.tried trying to find a pref file,couldn't decipher any that seemed to relate to keyboard layout.
any suggestions?

Taipan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2002, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by seb2:

the solution is: go to system preferences > international and have a look at the box at the bottom, you can associate every font system with a language; click on latin and you'll probably see english is selected. select german.

the system synchronizes the keyboard layout with the font and if english is chosen for latin...

takes a few times for system preferences to remember that (quit and restart it until it remembers it) and from time to time it'll revert back, but this works for about 20 logins -- better than nothing.
Hi!
Unfortunately this didn't dothe trick for me. But I found help in a German forum that worked for me:
I set the language to English by dragging it to the top of the list in system preferences. Then I logged out and back in and set the language and behaviour back to German and disabled all keyboard layouts but German. After logging out and in again the flag was gone. Hopefully I am rid of it for good...

Forum Links
Forum Rules