Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 17" AlBooks production not started yet???

17" AlBooks production not started yet???
iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 19, 2003, 04:42 AM

O'Grady says today (12:49am post):

"Well it looks like those waiting to take delivery of a 17-inch PowerBook G4 will have to wait a little longer. When I asked a contact at Apple about the suggestions that production 17" PBs are beginning to hit the streets I received this response:

We have not yet started production so there is no way anyone is receiving one. As we announced at Macworld we are still targeting to start production the very end of February.

If that is the case then one could only reasonable expect the first units to arrive from Taiwan on or around the first week of March. This information seems to contradict the rumors that some Apple stores have begun to receive their display models. Some Apple staff have been hitting the demo circuit with a fleet of 17s that must be pre-production units."

I'm not posting this to say anything about "delays," that has become a hotly-contested issue! But it might explain all the "display-only" 17"ers appearing at Apple Stores around the country. Perhaps some stores are letting customers try out these "pre-production units?"

iBorg

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2003, 04:55 AM

I think the PowerBooks that are appearing in stores are part of a small production run Apple ran to make the Macworld prototypes. In fact, they might be the exact units from the Macworld show floors. The ones on the show floors didn't have working keyboard backlighting, but that could have easily been a mere software problem.

badnewsblair
Senior User
Feb 19, 2003, 05:16 AM

The ones in stores are prototypes. At least the two in my area. They are fully working, but aren't production models. I just re-ordered my 17" today (got a bettter deal from a different credit card) which was fine because Apple hadn't processed my order from two days agao anyways. I don't know my "on or before" delivery date, but the article says it will start production late February. I have 5 - 7 weeks till mine shows up according to Apple. I'm still hoping they are just fluffing the date and plan on giving me mine in a few less weeks (fingers crossed)
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

iBorg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 19, 2003, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by badnewsblair:
The ones in stores are prototypes. At least the two in my area. They are fully working, but aren't production models. I just re-ordered my 17" today (got a bettter deal from a different credit card) which was fine because Apple hadn't processed my order from two days agao anyways. I don't know my "on or before" delivery date, but the article says it will start production late February. I have 5 - 7 weeks till mine shows up according to Apple. I'm still hoping they are just fluffing the date and plan on giving me mine in a few less weeks (fingers crossed)
Makes sense! Seems like the pre-production models going to the Apple Stores are, perhaps, meant for display purposes, only, and some stores are giving in to temptation to demo them?

Anyway, if some customers notice "flaws" on these models, they may well be corrected before production is ramped up for consumer models. Sure can't wait to see one in person!

iBorg

Kanaeaupuni
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2003, 02:35 PM

if they've been around since Macworld, why are they showing up just now?

I'd like to remain optimistic and think they're finally in production

Wet Jimmy
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2003, 07:01 PM

Anyone know where those Powerbook Comparison pictures were taken, the one's with all the powerbooks stacked on top of one another including the 17" inch, surrounded by those lucky Japanese/Chinese/? buggers?

Over Achiever
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 19, 2003, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by Wet Jimmy:
Anyone know where those Powerbook Comparison pictures were taken, the one's with all the powerbooks stacked on top of one another including the 17" inch, surrounded by those lucky Japanese/Chinese/? buggers?
Hong kong I think. Some apple release party or something
"It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you got."

Forum Links
Forum Rules