Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Evanescence

Evanescence
memento
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2003, 12:05 PM

I follow underground music, so this band soared right over my head and I didn't hear them until my wife caught their song on the radio. They are awesome! They remind me of Lacuna Coil, but without the male vocals. Very deep and dark. somewhat goth. nice. Even though I never judge a band by their appearance (I like bands from Rush to W.A.S.P.), the singer/songwrite/keyboardist is quite cute, too.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

tikki
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2003, 12:23 PM

Evanescence is indeed awesome.

Check out their older stuff. I am pretty sure I have every song they have released since 1997. Not a bad one in the bunch.

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

memento  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2003, 12:30 PM

How would I legally get it? I'm sure I could p2p it, but I don't want to do that. I read that they released an EP and only made 50 copies. I've already checked my usual rare/underground outlets.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

Kitschy
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2003, 12:48 PM

They've been in the top 10 on Christian radio stations across the nation for awhile. However, an Entertainment Weekly interview recently revealed that they seem to have abandoned their faith. So much so that they have told Christian music/book stores across the nation to stop selling their stuff (an odd business move, in my opinion).

Anyways, some of you here on the board will REALLY like them now.

EDIT: They have a great sound, by the way.

Safari
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2003, 12:49 PM

They are my favorite band. I have been following them since there beginnings in Little Rock, AR. If you get a chance to see them live GO!!!! TRULY AMAZING!

I'm pretty sure I have every song they have ever recorded. It will be very hard to get your hands on some of there original stuff like there Origin CD, Evanescence EP, and Sound Asleep album as they didn't print very many copies of each.
Of course Fallen however is simple to come by.
If you check e-bay I'v seen 3 disk sets that have all the tracks from the 3 original albums and then some very rare tracks for only like 16 bucks.

Good luck!
(By the way, a few of my favorites include: My Immortal, Imaginary, and Whisper)
( Last edited by Safari; Jun 6, 2003 at 01:01 PM. )

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2003, 01:14 PM

I like them. Sort of Sarah McLachlan mixed with Linkin Park, and yet it works.

tikki
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2003, 01:20 PM

Forget trying to get legit copies. The Origin album goes for insane prices on eBay now. The band told you to download it even. (I'll get the article later this evening when I am not at work).

memento  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2003, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by Kitschy:
They've been in the top 10 on Christian radio stations across the nation for awhile. However, an Entertainment Weekly interview recently revealed that they seem to have abandoned their faith. So much so that they have told Christian music/book stores across the nation to stop selling their stuff (an odd business move, in my opinion).

Close. I don't think that they said they have abondoned their faith. Their label was marketing them as a christian band. The band changed their mind on being labeled like that, so their label pulled it from the religious stores. I would imagine that their personal beliefs remain unchanged.

I don't agree with the Linkin Park analogy. I've heard it over and over. Just because they have the 12-stone singer on 1 song, that doesn't mean that they sound like linkin park! I really don't hear any similarity anywhere else on the CD.

tikki
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2003, 01:49 PM

Here's the article I mentioned earlier.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/n...nescence_x.htm

memento  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2003, 02:00 PM

Nice article! I think I'll take their advice. I love how she handled the rude comments at the concert. Well played by Amy Lee!

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2003, 02:20 PM

you can hear a live version of the track that is out at the moment here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/jowhiley...ce_jun03.shtml
You know it makes sense. ☼ ☼ ☼ Growl.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2003, 02:55 PM

never listend to em before they got popular, probably won't now, and uhh most people who wanna show God is love, generally don't insult His name, so either the guitarist was simply a "Christian" before, his actions kinda speek loudly that he probably doesn't hold the same veiws now.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2003, 03:27 PM

Does anyone have their stuff in non-rm format? I'm on a crappy, slow-ass connection right now, so p2p isn't really an option.

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
never listend to em before they got popular, probably won't now, and uhh most people who wanna show God is love, generally don't insult His name, so either the guitarist was simply a "Christian" before, his actions kinda speek loudly that he probably doesn't hold the same veiws now.
So you're going to not even give their music a chance because their beliefs aren't the same as yours? How is this different than people bashing Christian music?

tikki
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2003, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by nonhuman:
So you're going to not even give their music a chance because their beliefs aren't the same as yours? How is this different than people bashing Christian music?
it isnt.

memento  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2003, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
wow. So it's ok for you to "prejudge" their music as a band because the guitarist used His name in vein? where's the love? I completely disagree with you, but this thread is about the awesome music of Evanescence, let's not derail this thread into another religious debate.

Did Amy Lee do the piano on the CD? I know she plays, if it's her, she's GOOD. Whoever is playing has the depth of Kevin Moore.

Safari
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2003, 04:10 PM

Yeah thats Amy on the CD's playing the piano, however I think the only song she plays the piano on when performing live is 'My Immortal'. She is very talented.

memento  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2003, 04:20 PM

That's ok that she doesn't play much live. It's very hard to play and sing. I have a lot of respect for the creation of music, especially an arrangement like theirs where it's really only 2 people who create the songs.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2003, 08:04 PM

I'm not into their particular genre, but the WWE used one of their songs in a tribute video for the late "Classy" Freddie Blassie on Smackdown last night. It was a nice and fitting track.

tikki
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2003, 12:13 AM

Originally posted by SupahCoolX:
I'm not into their particular genre, but the WWE used one of their songs in a tribute video for the late "Classy" Freddie Blassie on Smackdown last night. It was a nice and fitting track.
I saw the tail end of that too. Hope they replay it this weekend or on RAW monday.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2003, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
...mixed with Linkin Park...
Blech, I think that's the problem. I heard them on Leno last night. Didn't do anything for me. Meh.

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2003, 02:37 PM

i think its sad that they have now changed their image from the christian rock back to the "harder" band that people THOUGHT they were

that single's annoying and bothersome...

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2003, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by tikki:
I saw the tail end of that too. Hope they replay it this weekend or on RAW monday.
They're doing a feature about Blassie on Confidential tonight, so it may show up then

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2003, 10:16 PM

i like the female but the screaming rapping guy makes me not want to listen anymore.

tikki
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2003, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by Apple Pro Underwear:
i like the female but the screaming rapping guy makes me not want to listen anymore.
That's the lead singer from 12 Stones. only song he is in on the album

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2003, 10:47 PM

If you live in the bay area, Evanescence is one of the bands performing at the Live 105 BFD Concert on June 13th. The concert takes place at the Shoreline Amphitheatre in Mountain View.

Check out the Live 105 page.

Main stage:
- Foo Fighters
- Deftones
- A.F.I
- The White Stripes
- Evanescence

Second stage:
- Transplants
- The Donnas
- The Used
- Interpel
- The Ataris
- All-American Rejects
- Finch
- Hot Hot Meat

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

agentz
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2003, 07:24 PM

The Evanescence track Bring Me To Life is this weeks number 1 single in the UK

www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/chart/top40/index.shtml
MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2003, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by Kitschy:

I think that they will abandon their Christian affiliation at their own peril!

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2003, 07:33 PM

Originally posted by tikki:
That's the lead singer from 12 Stones. only song he is in on the album
so the rest of the album is this female rocking out? or do the guys in her band chime in and rap and scream in the middle of the songs?

tikki
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2003, 12:35 AM

Originally posted by Apple Pro Underwear:
so the rest of the album is this female rocking out? or do the guys in her band chime in and rap and scream in the middle of the songs?
Just the female rocking out.

memento  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2003, 07:28 AM

That's a flaw (IMHO) with how they are being promoted. They don't sound anything like rap-rock nu-metal whatever EXCEPT that the ONE song has that guy in it. He's so out of place with their whole sound. They are hard to put a label on. Kind of ethereal, epic, gothic metal? not really a lot of each, but a nice blend. Not all metal either. Some nice slow songs. But definitely epic. I love the choir and orchestra!

willed
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2003, 09:10 AM

Whew! That's the closest I've ever come to buying Christian music - I bought their latest album a month or so ago, didn't know they used to be Christian. That was close!

To be fair, I don't care if band members are or aren't Christian; it's just when all their songs are called 'Jesus rocks' that it sucks - too in your face.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2003, 10:02 AM

Too bad they're not in the iTunes Music Store yet. I submitted a request.

memento  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2003, 10:44 AM

Their label is an "independant" label. It's big for an indie (thank to Creed), so I would bet that they were one of the 150 that Apple invited to their indie label discussion.

willed - you hit the nail on the head:
"To be fair, I don't care if band members are or aren't Christian; it's just when all their songs are called 'Jesus rocks' that it sucks - too in your face."

tikki
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2003, 11:03 AM

can someone not have christian beliefs yet still right good music? Just because they don't wear a pentagram or a darwin pin on their lapel, doesn't mean their music sucks.

MikeM33
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2003, 12:57 PM

I'd never seen what the lead singer looked like until the above posted link. I have to admit she is pretty hot. While Amy Lee has great potential as a vocalist I just don't like the overall sound of the band.

To me, it lacks enough of a hard hitting edge, and the lyrics are, well, depressing. They've been playing "Bring me to Life" and "Going Under" like crazy on the radio too.

Where female vocals go, I prefer stuff like "The Donnas", plus they're an all female band (and not an ugly one in the bunch either)

They've got something more of a harder "classic punk" edge. Sorta like older Joan Jett and the Blackhearts. It's not necessarily the same genr� of music as Evenascence.

MikeM
( Last edited by MikeM33; Jun 9, 2003 at 01:16 PM. )

memento  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2003, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by MikeM33:
I'd never seen what the lead singer looked like until the above posted link. I have to admit she is pretty hot. While Amy Lee has great potential as a vocalist I just don't like the overall sound of the band.
She's got a good voice, but I've never heard anyone that sounds better than Anneke van Giersbergen of The Gathering (http://www.gathering.nl). Her voice is truly angelic.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2003, 06:32 AM

"I've been living a lie,
There's nothing inside!"
~ Evanescence ~

I think she saw the light so to speak

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

bewebste
Senior User
Jun 10, 2003, 02:07 PM

I just went and downloaded a few Evanescence songs to listen to and was surprised to see that the version of Bring Me To Life I had gotten didn't have the annoying guy screaming through the whole thing. I don't know if they just used a different mix for the radio/music video, but for those of you that want it, a non-stupid-screaming-guy version is available.

tikki
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2003, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by bewebste:
I just went and downloaded a few Evanescence songs to listen to and was surprised to see that the version of Bring Me To Life I had gotten didn't have the annoying guy screaming through the whole thing. I don't know if they just used a different mix for the radio/music video, but for those of you that want it, a non-stupid-screaming-guy version is available.
Its the version from the demos. I can't think of the exact name of it, but I will check when I get back to my desk.

benb
Jun 10, 2003, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by Stogieman:
Main stage:
- Foo Fighters
- Deftones
- A.F.I
- The White Stripes
- Evanescence

Second stage:
- Transplants
- The Donnas
- The Used
- Interpel
- The Ataris
- All-American Rejects
- Finch
- Hot Hot Meat
If I were there, I would avoid completely the main stage and go straight to the second stage. Well, maybe not for the Deftones, depends on who is at the second stage at the time.

And to make this relevant, I really, really, really hate Evanescence. Or at least the song the play on the radio.

gerbnl
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 10, 2003, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by benb:
And to make this relevant, I really, really, really hate Evanescence. Or at least the song the play on the radio.
Lol...

Saw them on TV last night (they played at Pinkpop) and i think they one of the suckiest bands i heard of in a long long time... What is it that makes a bunch of morons like this actually become popular? Hell, must be as close to an act of gawd as it can be....

Andrew 8808
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2003, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by gerbnl:
Lol...

Saw them on TV last night (they played at Pinkpop) and i think they one of the suckiest bands i heard of in a long long time... What is it that makes a bunch of morons like this actually become popular? Hell, must be as close to an act of gawd as it can be....
Just because they may not appeal to you, does not make them sucky, or a bunch of morons.

tikki
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2003, 01:58 AM

Lol...

they're the morons?

memento  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2003, 11:57 AM

Lol...

can you say "flame bait"? You're obviously entitled to not like them if you're so inclined, but you don't have to be derogatory. As a multi-instrument musician for 17 years, I can appreciate the effort it takes to write and perform - even if I don't like the music. It's hard not to take an insult like that personally becuase when I'm on stage, there's probably some in the audience who's saying that about me.

I think that we'd all appreciate it if you do not continue with such inane comments.

tikki
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2003, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by memento:
can you say "flame bait"? You're obviously entitled to not like them if you're so inclined, but you don't have to be derogatory. As a multi-instrument musician for 17 years, I can appreciate the effort it takes to write and perform - even if I don't like the music. It's hard not to take an insult like that personally becuase when I'm on stage, there's probably some in the audience who's saying that about me.

I think that we'd all appreciate it if you do not continue with such inane comments.

deekay1
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2003, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by benb:
Well, maybe not for the Deftones, depends on who is at the second stage at the time.
are you kidding? i just saw them at a festival this weekend. they are by far the suckiest band i've EVER seen!

hedonist, anarchist, agnostic, mac enthusiast and a strong believer in evolution and the yellow m&m conspiracy

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2003, 07:44 PM

Close. I don't think that they said they have abondoned their faith. Their label was marketing them as a christian band. The band changed their mind on being labeled like that, so their label pulled it from the religious stores. I would imagine that their personal beliefs remain unchanged.

I don't agree with the Linkin Park analogy. I've heard it over and over. Just because they have the 12-stone singer on 1 song, that doesn't mean that they sound like linkin park! I really don't hear any similarity anywhere else on the CD.
Well, that's the song that made them famous.

tikki
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2003, 10:24 PM

They were supposed to play today at the KROQ weenie roast, but didn't show up. Anyone know why? The Used got bumped up to the main stage in their absense.

memento  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2003, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
Well, that's the song that made them famous.
So it's ok to judge their life's work based on only one song that got popular? I think not. That's seriously pre-judgemental. I resume my

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2003, 03:05 PM

So it's ok to judge their life's work based on only one song that got popular? I think not. That's seriously pre-judgemental. I resume my
No what I'm saying is that it's not surprising that so many people say that. The most memorable song (as defined by airplay) is also going to be its most defining song to the masses.

Anyways, the Linkin Park analogy may not be completely appropriate, but neither is the soft angelic sound that so many other people always talk about.

It's a mix. And indeed, I like it all, but I'd prefer more of the Linkin Park or else hard-rockin' sound in a few more songs actually (but not all of them of course).

The bigger the range, the better.

Forum Links
Forum Rules