Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Looking for some good new music

Looking for some good new music
memento
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2003, 08:46 PM

ok. I'm in need of some new music. I'll give many suggestions a listen, but I'm picky. I like music that is deep, strange, heavy, melodic, powerful, and passionate. I'm also an accomplished bassist and drummer, so I like progressive music like Rush, Primus and Fates Warning. Some of my favorite bands now are The Gathering, Skyclad, System of a Down, Evanescence, Tool, Devin Townsend. I could write a book about how I feel about music, but I'll spare you all! I'm not looking to debate over genres. What I'm looking for now is passionate, heavy, and melodic. Think system of a Down and Tool type stuff. Some of their music literally sends a chill down my back. That level of intensity is rare, but that's what I want to find more of. Travel from The Gathering practically brings tears to my eyes, the way that she belts out the end of the song with all of her being.

Looks like I rambled a bit. Suggestions for new bands please!
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2003, 08:51 PM

Try a bit of this. Good stuff.

Cipher13
Aug 28, 2003, 08:52 PM

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=174371

Just posted some suggestions

If you like tool, I imagine you already know and appreciate APC and NIN too.

What kind of heavy, melodic music are you talking about?

Check out Dreamtheater, Symphony X, Blind Guardian, Black Majesty, Dungeon (local Aussie power metal band, so good), Nevermore, and the like.

You'll love it.

EDIT: forgot a band.

memento  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2003, 10:58 PM

Keep 'em coming!

I'm a big Dream Theater fan, but IMHO they lost the ability to write good songs when Kevin Moore left. OSI and Chroma Key are pretty cool, but they don't have the intensity I'm looking for right now. I love APC, but haven't been able to get into NIN. All of the elements are there, though. Symphony X meanders a bit too much - they don't have the hooks that keep their music in my head, just like new DT. Blind Guardian is good, but nothing that's really moving to me.

Speaking of Aussie bands, I love Vauxdvihl. I even got their 2 EPs they released since "To Dimension Logic".

I'll check out the suggestions. The Sisters of Mercy seem like a potential.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

Cipher13
Aug 29, 2003, 05:40 AM

Originally posted by memento:
Keep 'em coming!

I'm a big Dream Theater fan, but IMHO they lost the ability to write good songs when Kevin Moore left. OSI and Chroma Key are pretty cool, but they don't have the intensity I'm looking for right now. I love APC, but haven't been able to get into NIN. All of the elements are there, though. Symphony X meanders a bit too much - they don't have the hooks that keep their music in my head, just like new DT. Blind Guardian is good, but nothing that's really moving to me.

Speaking of Aussie bands, I love Vauxdvihl. I even got their 2 EPs they released since "To Dimension Logic".

I'll check out the suggestions. The Sisters of Mercy seem like a potential.
Black Majesty, Dungeon, and Shadow Gallery, perhaps?

Misanthrope
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2003, 05:51 AM

Suggestions for new bands please!
Two words:

anal****

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2003, 05:52 AM

....deep, strange, heavy, melodic, powerful, and passionate....
Try Tomahawk, the Melvins, Fantomas and Mr_Bungle. 4 bands with all those qualities.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2003, 06:03 AM

......deep, strange, heavy, melodic, powerful, and passionate...........
The obvious choice: Sigur Ros

And here you can dl some of their stuff for free.

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

version
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2003, 07:04 AM

Here's some for you.

Aim - Cold Water Music
Aim - Hinterland

Tosca
Thievery Corporation
Fila Brazilia

DJ Shadow, for all things weird

Have a listn to AIM, great stuff, enough to keep you wondering for years.
A Jew with a view.

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2003, 07:10 AM

Amy Grant.

Seriously, though: The Mars Volta.
I, ASIMO.

benb
Aug 29, 2003, 10:18 AM

Thursday

New CD on the 16th. I've heard a few tracks and it looks to be the best CD this year (if you like the style).

And on the same label, Thrice . Very good stuff. Just released a new CD this month. Awesome.

Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 29, 2003, 10:22 AM

You want passionate,

The Waterboys (and solo mike scott)

Mike Scott had one of the most passionate approaches to music I've heard. Pours his heart into it.

For a 'hair standing on end' experiencce, listen to Don't Bang the Drum, from The Secret Life of the Waterboys. Recorded live, in one take, at the BBC's Golders Green studio which is an old converted theatre (worked there once, amazing acoustics). Mike Scott (piano and vocals) and Steve Wikham (violin) down on the stage, with Roddy Lorimer (trumpet) and Andy Thistlewaite (Sax) high above in two theatre boxes. The lights were turned right down and they recorded what is, in my opinion, one of the most extraordinary pieces of music available.

When I worked there, I walked around during a break with it on my walkman and it was just ghostly the feeling of them being there.

If you like the Sisters of Mercy, check out The Mission too.

Have fun,

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

itomato
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2003, 04:50 PM

There are at least half a dozen threads on this topic.

Dig.

OOOHH!! You like rockin' prog! Ah ha!

Check into Mike Keneally, Amon Duul II, and definately getcherseff some Miles Davis, I would recommend Bitches Brew to start (if you don't already appreciate Miles) Cluster, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Gentle Giant..

Feast upon the GEPR.
-- | T () /\/\ /.\ T () --

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2003, 04:54 PM

Not a new band, but this is their comeback album.

Charlie Benante's drumming on Nobody Knows Anything was previously thought to be impossible without an additional six arms.

Also Anthrax's previous album, Volume 8: The Threat is Real, which has been unavailable for five years, is going to be rereleased with additional bonus tracks about a month from now.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

cacarr1
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 29, 2003, 06:13 PM

See my wildly popular thread here.
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2003, 06:40 PM

Mindless Self Indulgence. ANYTHING by them ROCKS. (they're self-classed as Jungle Pussy Punk Rock) Strange and twisted but great.

I've been listening to Three Days Grace lately....

Um, try the Shizit, they've broken up, but their music is great. Also try Adema (Jon Davis' lil half bro's band) They also rock.

Well, those are my picks, take um or leave um.

Chris

businezguy
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 29, 2003, 06:53 PM

Pink Floyd...and with your description I would highly recommend Saucerful of Secrets by Pink Floyd.
Dual 1 ghz MDD with 80 gig and 1.25 DDR
17' Flat Panel Studio Display
14' 800 mhz iBook 30 gig and 256 SDRAM
20 gig iPOD

memento  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2003, 09:15 PM

I'm rockin'! Some great suggestions here (especially Any Grant ) I have over 900 CDs and already have some suggestions like Pink Floyd and Shadow Gallery in my collection, but there's a lot here that I've never heard of!

I saw Fantomas open up for Tool - it was interesting stuff. Good to see the Faith No More singer is still singing and being creative.

Having given a bunch of suggestions a quick listen, I like the sound of Sigur Ros. Very cool, even if they don't seem to kick into high gear (so far). Thursday sounds awesome. I'm listening to it now. Nice mood changes in the songs. They seem on the verge of being a bit too goo-goo dolls. As long as they stay on the heavy side in their music, it's good.

itomato - I've checked out all the music threads recently, but those did not match what I'm looking for. There's a lot of variety in what I like, but I'm looking to find that special band that I only come across every few years. I know the GEPR, but it's a bit overwhelming and lists Billy Cobham on the same page as Black Tape for a Blue Girl and Ayreon. Not very helpful.

fourstarcltv
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 30, 2003, 02:49 AM

if you're in the mood for something a little less heavy, a friend of mine just introduced me to the fine sounds of the microphones.

they've unfortunately since disbanded, but check out the glow pt. 2 , a fine, fine record.
( Last edited by fourstarcltv; Aug 30, 2003 at 03:15 AM. )

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2003, 02:34 PM

I saw Fantomas open up for Tool - it was interesting stuff. Good to see the Faith No More singer is still singing and being creative.
I saw them with Tool two years ago in portland, me and my cousins were laughing my ass off at his "unique" vocals. The only part of their set that i enjoyed was their remix of the Godfather

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Super Glitcher
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2003, 03:25 PM

you like drums eh??

VENETIAN SNARES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SQUAREPUSHER - SEVENDUST - U-ZIQ - APHEX TWIN - FUNKSTORUNG - NAUTILUS -

EVERYONE MUST FIND AND AQUIRE
BOARDS OF CANADA : GEOGADDI

kdogg73
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2003, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by version:
Here's some for you.

Aim - Cold Water Music
Aim - Hinterland

Tosca
Thievery Corporation
Fila Brazilia

DJ Shadow, for all things weird

Have a listn to AIM, great stuff, enough to keep you wondering for years.
Excellent suggestions here. This stuff is what I listen to.

You can't go wrong with either of the two AIM albums version suggested. Tosca has an incredible selection of smooth music. If you get into that, you can check out Kruder & Dorfmeister, Peace Orchestra, and the list goes on.

Another of my favs is The Cinematic Orchestra. Read some of these reviews and bios from http://allmusic.com . A great place to branch your taste.

It's pretty happy, lazy, chillen music. If it wasn't illegal, I'd be more than happy to feed you some mp3s.

In the meantime, check out:

http://www.netmusique.com/

Have you seen my pants?

kdogg73
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2003, 03:56 PM

Originally posted by Super Glitcher:
you like drums eh??

SQUAREPUSHER - SEVENDUST - U-ZIQ - APHEX TWIN - FUNKSTORUNG - NAUTILUS -

EVERYONE MUST FIND AND AQUIRE

I listen to Boards of Canada and some AT here. This is for the advanced electronica ear, IMHO.

Have you seen my pants?

Svenmagnus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2003, 04:03 PM

Heavy and Melodic you say?

try Mogwai
they rock like no other

also try Godspeed You Black Emperor!
Its not really heavy, but if you give them a chance you might like them, plus Steve Albini(recording god) did their last album

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2003, 06:02 PM

I like music that is deep, strange, heavy, melodic, powerful, and passionate. ............Think system of a Down and Tool type stuff. Some of their music literally sends a chill down my back. That level of intensity is rare, but that's what I want to find more of.
Whoa, those adjectives are so not what I think of when I hear Tool or System. Deep & passionate.... that is a far stretch.

Anyway, if I were to apply those words to someone's music: Jeff Buckley

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

version
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2003, 06:32 PM

Originally posted by Svenmagnus:
Heavy and Melodic you say?

try Mogwai
they rock like no other

also try Godspeed You Black Emperor!
Its not really heavy, but if you give them a chance you might like them, plus Steve Albini(recording god) did their last album
I played in Mogwai a couple of times, my mate Bob does session work for them, as well as Belle & Sebastian,, and other Glasgow bands. Fun times.
A Jew with a view.

memento  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2003, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:
Whoa, those adjectives are so not what I think of when I hear Tool or System. Deep & passionate.... that is a far stretch.

That's why it's hard to describe what I'm looking for. *I* see those 2 bands as being majorly deep and passionate. I'm not talking about making love here. One can be passionate about many different things. Deep doesn't mean it has to be slow and drawn out.

Have you actually listened to them? Lateralus is a CD that you have to learn the lyrics to and then just crank it with the lights out and lose yourself in it. Major deep and intense. Maynard is one intense dude. Danny Carey's goal as a drummer is to become one with the drums and not consciously think about anything he's playing. He's f*cking AMAZING. Listen to Triad. It's like he's playing 3 different time signatures simultaneously. Tool is on a plane of existence that I can only dream of achieving.

System can be a bit whacked, but they are seriously passionate about their religion and beliefs. Listen to Serj. He lives the music. Even though his outspoken political views are 180 degrees from mine, I admire his passion and conviction. Aerials (as a "popular" example) is such an amazing song.

I'm going to skip the "light" suggestions because I want something heavy. I've had "Godspeed You Black Emperor" on my list to try for a while now.

cacarr1
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2003, 12:05 AM

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:

Beautiful choice! Jeff Buckley was the greatest artist ever!...imho
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

Cipher13
Sep 2, 2003, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by Super Glitcher:
HELL YES.

Get that album. Now.

as2
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2003, 12:53 PM

The Darknes....

Went to see them at Rockingham Motor Speedway on Sunday, and they f-ing rocked!

www.thedarknessrock.com
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2003, 01:30 PM

i should hit you for saying that.

go listen to mastodon - remission

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2003, 03:11 PM

THE RAVEONETTES!

macrob1n
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2003, 04:07 PM

Queens of the stone age: Songs or the deaf.
The best album of recent years. i can hardly listen to a few other artists albums before needing to go listen to this again.

And the Yeah Yeah Yeahs: Fever to tell.
Thats got some good stuff on it.
iMac DV+, G4 800 iMac
xbox live tag - DeathBoB

memento  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2003, 09:47 AM

Originally posted by scaught:
i should hit you for saying that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules