Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > VPC - How Fast?

VPC - How Fast?
iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
May 30, 2001, 12:08 AM

Anyone have any general guidelines concerning how fast the PC emulation is for games (obviously we're talking about slower or older games) - e.g. does VPC 4 on a G4 500 approximate the requirements for P II 200 MHz, etc.? How about for VPC 3 on a G3 500?

Again, we're not going to use VPC for Quake PC, but there are alot of games from 1-2 years ago that are now quite inexpensive, that haven't been ported to Mac - what type of PC speed requirements can we emulate?

iBorg
MacBook Pro 2.33GHz, 15.4" Glossy, 160GB - and loving it!

m2bored
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2001, 01:10 PM

With the right amount of ram and tweaking....on a g4 400
its about equivalent to the PC (p2 266 mhz with 48 MB ram running win2k) I have .

M2

Note: it may be faster with win98 or 95

mac freak
Mac Elite
May 31, 2001, 11:04 PM

It should be noted that Connectix' emulated x86 processor most closesly resembles a Pentium 1.

Anynow, on my DP450/128MB/VPC4, I get something close to 300 MHz...

More RAM would help, of course!

------------------
Be Happy.
Be happy.

Cipher13
Jun 2, 2001, 10:21 AM

Hm. You all know the speed up trick, running it as your Finder, right? Come on... its 12:16 AM... don't make me type it... oh bloody hell, fine then:

Make a bare System Folder. Real bare. Strip that baby down to its bare bones.
Delete the Finder. Replace it with a copy of the Virtual PC application. Put all the stuff from the VPC folder in the System Folder. Name the VPC app "Finder" and change its creator to MACS and its type to FNDR.
Choose your new system as your boot system and boot up. To get back, hold option at startup to choose your other system, or boot from a CD and use the startup disk control panel. Hm, System Disk control panel really...

Well, that didn't take so long... its off the top of my head so the creator/type might be wrong, but they're not. But they might be. So just in case. But they're not.

FYI Win 95 is pretty fast on my G4 400. I don't play games on it though.

------------------

AIM: Cipher1387
mail: [email protected]

Forum Links
Forum Rules