Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > GlobalFax 2.6.9 on Firewire PB with OS 9.1

GlobalFax 2.6.9 on Firewire PB with OS 9.1
iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 25, 2001, 06:54 AM

This worked fine on my Firewire 500 MHz since purchase 6/00. No problems with OS 9.0 up to 9.0.4. After upgrading (?) to OS 9.1, starting up with GlobalFax enabled slowed my PB to an extreme crawl - this was after a startup warning to "disable OpenTpt Serial Arbitrator," which was part of Open Transport 4.0 with OS 9.1.

Global Village hasn't had an update to GlobalFax since 1999, and now having been bought by Zoom, it doesn't look good for future compatibility updates.

Any ideas on how to use GlobalFax with OS 9.1?

iBorg
MacBook Pro 2.33GHz, 15.4" Glossy, 160GB - and loving it!

Jim Retzner
Jan 26, 2001, 12:31 AM

I removed OpenTpt Serial Arbitrator from the Extensions folder of my G4/350 mini tower after experiencing the same things you spoke of when I upgraded from 9.0.4 to 9.1. After rebooting everything speeded back up to normal for my G4. I have been able to send faxes with no glitches.

I have version 2.6.9 of GlobalFax which can be downloaded from ftp://ftp.globalvillage.com/pub/software/mac/

I have a serial number from purchasing just the GlobalFax software for use with my internal modem.

I e-mailed Zoom and they say they are working on a update to version 2.7x. It is due out in this quarter. :-)

iBorg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 26, 2001, 02:33 PM

Jim - I tried the same thing, removing OpenTpt Serial Arbitrator, and found the extreme slowdown fixed. Unfortunately, by removing this extension, you inactivate Open Transport entirely, making use of Airport impossible.

My only fix has been to deactivate "automatic receive" for faxes. The slowdown then vanished. I haven't tried to do "manual" receive for faxing, but sending faxes is fine as of now.

I'm also using GlobalFax 2.6.9, having purchased the software for use on my previous Wallstreet, and now with my Pismo 500. Since buying this software, Global Village sold out to Boca Research, who now sold out to Zoom. Using the Tech Support for the GlobalFax website, the only reply I received was that there is no current technical support (other than warranty work for modems purchased).

Glad to hear that GlobalFax 2.7 is coming - it was initially announced last summer, and I haven't heard anything since. Hopefully it will be a free upgrade.

iBorg

iBorg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 28, 2001, 04:44 AM

I just got an automated reply from the "Virtual Technician" at the website for Global Village, which read:

"It's the new Remote Access 4.0 (part of OS 9.1) that is causing the problem. Global Village has no updates for that new ARA. The company that made your modem, Boca Research, has left the modem business in July 2000 and there will be no updates/upgrades to that product. In the past, it might have been possible, although not an obligation, to accomodate your request however, Inprimis, Inc.(formerly Boca Research http://www.inprimis.com/), exited the modem and communication software business on 7/28/00. They continue to be responsible to their customers for warranty obligations on
defective product during the balance of the five year warranty period, but no longer have any Engineering or Programming staff able to accomodate a request such as yours. The Global Village brand name was sold to Zoom Telephonics for use in the manufacture of newly designed products only, and Zoom does not have any of the product engineering data on products
manufactured while Global Village was under Inprimis' ownership. I am sorry that we could not provide more assistance."

I'm hoping that your news of a software update to GlobalFax 2.7 is accurate. My modem is the Apple internal modem that my Pismo came with, and all I'm interested in is a software update to attain compatibility with OS 9.1.

iBorg

Jim Retzner
Jan 29, 2001, 01:43 AM

I received an e-mail from Zoom a couple of months ago but am unable to locate it I recall a message in that e-mail from Zoom saying version 2.7.x was in the works and due out this quarter. If I find that e-mail I'll post a quote from it regarding this issue. Let's not let GlobalFax be buried!

iBorg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2001, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by Jim Retzner:
I received an e-mail from Zoom a couple of months ago but am unable to locate it I recall a message in that e-mail from Zoom saying version 2.7.x was in the works and due out this quarter. If I find that e-mail I'll post a quote from it regarding this issue. Let's not let GlobalFax be buried!
If you can locate this message, please post it. As often happens with corporate mergers and takeovers, it looks like plans may have changed.

Today I received an automated reply from Zoom.com, in response to my posing the question of OS 9.1 compatibility with a GlobalFax update:

"Its not the Mac, its the new Remote Access 4.0 (part of OS 9.1) that is causing the problem. Global Village has no updates for that new ARA. The company that made your modem, Boca Research, has left the modem business in July 2000 and there will be no updates/upgrades to that product. The Global Village brand name was sold to Zoom Telephonics for use in the manufacture of newly designed products only, and Zoom does not have any of the product engineering data on products manufactured while Global Village was under Inprimis' ownership."

iBorg

madgreek
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2001, 12:38 AM

I am using GlobalFax v2.6.9 on my PowerBook computer but am having some problems.

When I send a fax with a cover sheet the cover sheet does not get sent at all. The main fax pages are sent but after they are sent all my icons on my desktop and all menu items are blank -- no text at all. Even all my open applications in the background are void of text. At this point I have to restart my PowerBook to get things back to normal.

When I go to the Global Village Fax Center and check the log it confirms my fax was sent and even has the text from my cover page, but It only shows 1/1 pages being sent, even though I had it set up to send 2 pages which included the cover page. When I checked the "Scheduled Faxes" it confirms that only the main fax page was sent and not the cover sheet.

I used the "GlobalFax 2.6.5 Compatibility Tester" utility on my PowerBook so I don't understand why this is happening as I had no such problems with v2.6.5 of this software on my older PowerBook G3 (1998 Wallstreet).

My system consists of a PowerBook G3 (2000 FireWire) with Mac OS 9.0.4, 512MBs RAM, 30Gig hard drive and internal 56k V.90 modem updated with Apple's modem update version V2.300-V90.
Power Mac Quad G5 2.5GHz, OS X 10.4.10
===
Aluminum 23" HD Cinema Display
===
Aluminum 15" PowerBook G4 w/Superdrive
===
iPhone 8GB

Jim Retzner
Jan 30, 2001, 11:27 PM

madgreek,

It could be your modem. People elsewhere are reporting that the newer G4's with different modems than the earlier G4's are having problems with 2.6.9. Perhaps "un-updating" your modem might work.

Jim Retzner
Jan 30, 2001, 11:34 PM

iBorg,

I found it!

Here is the pertinent text:

To: [email protected]
Cc: [email protected]
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 14:22:28 -0500

Dear Jim Retzner

For your information:

If a customer has a G4 450 or 500 mhz. (2.6.5) & (2.6.9) is not supported on these models. Do not recommend purchasing the software for (Imac & G3 Internal Apple modems) We do plan on an update version (2.7.x) in the future to correct these issues. Any customer that has purchased (2.6.5) for use on a G4 450 or 500 <not customers that had the version 2.6.5 previously installed on an earlier G3 with Apple internal modem >are able to request a refund of the purchase price until the "fix" is released.�

Please direct any refund information or call tickets to management.

Global Village Tech Support
561-241-8088 / 900-555-4900
Fax: 561-997-2163

Obviously this is from Boca and not Zoom

[This message has been edited by Jim Retzner (edited 01-30-2001).]

Jim Retzner
Jan 30, 2001, 11:38 PM

madgreek,

It could be your modem. People elsewhere are reporting that the newer G4's with different modems than the earlier G4's are having problems with 2.6.9. Perhaps "un-updating" your modem might work.

madgreek
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2001, 01:05 AM

That's good news that they are coming out with a 2.7 update and I hope that's soon. As for downgrading my modem, I'm not sure it's possible to uninstall the Apple Modem Updater 2.0.

This is a tough nut to crack as I'd like to troubleshoot to see if it's an extension conflict but the only way to do that is to send fax pages and I don't have a fax machine to do this with
===
===
===
iPhone 8GB

iBorg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 31, 2001, 01:05 AM

Jim - excellent! Perhaps we'll have an update, after all!

I'm going to call the number they gave, tomorrow, and hopefully others reading this forum could do the same - it can't hurt, to let the company know that Mac customers want their product!

iBorg

iBorg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 31, 2001, 01:12 AM

Originally posted by madgreek:
That's good news that they are coming out with a 2.7 update and I hope that's soon. As for downgrading my modem, I'm not sure it's possible to uninstall the Apple Modem Updater 2.0.

This is a tough nut to crack as I'd like to troubleshoot to see if it's an extension conflict but the only way to do that is to send fax pages and I don't have a fax machine to do this with
I believe that you're right, in that "firmware" updates are typically irreversible.

Try this, to see if it's an extension conflict:
Using either Extension Manager (or Conflict Catcher, if you have it), restart with a modified set of extensions, using either "Base 9.0.4" or "All 9.0.4" with the addition of all the Global Village extensions and control panels, etc. If your fax goes through OK with this, then you'll have to do some trial and error to see exactly what is conflicting.

If faxing still doesn't work, try trashing your "GlobalFax preferences" within the GlobalFax folder in the Preferences folder. If STILL having problems, try reinstalling the GlobalFax software again.

Good luck!

iBorg

madgreek
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2001, 02:49 AM

iBorg: Good suggestions and that's what I plan on doing as soon as I can find a fax machine to use for the tests. Now I wish I had two phone lines
===
===
===
iPhone 8GB

Jim Retzner
Feb 6, 2001, 06:52 PM

Here's the response I received from Zoom Telephonics. They say that Inprimis is the responsible party for the GlobalFax software. Perhaps if Imprimis <[email protected]> is informed by enough Mac users who need the update from GlobalFax 2.6.9 to 2.7.x they will see that it will be profitable to do so. In a thread on MacFixit Forums one person said "All the new Macs come with modems. When are they going to get it?"

Subject: RE: GlobalFax Software
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 10:30:19 -0500

Mr. Retzner,

In August 2000, Zoom purchased the right to use the Global Village brand name, including GlobalFax, on future products only. They did not purchase any of the product design for products manufactured while the brand name was owned by Boca Research(now Inprimis, Inc.). Prior to Boca Research leaving the modem and communication software business, it was their intention to updat the GlobalFax product. Those efforts ceased on 7/31/00. Inprimis is still the responsible party for technical support and warranty service on all of the products produced during their ownership.

At this time, it is not Zoom's intention to produce GlobalFax as a standalone product. It is currently being "bundled" with their new Teleport 56K V.92 modem, and will be offered with new modem products to follow shortly.

Sincerely,

Don Campbell, Manager
Tech Support Group
Zoom Telephonics, Inc.
(561) 241-3250 Ext. 238 www.zoom.com www.hayesmicro.com www.globalvillage.com

[Don Campbell]��-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, February 05, 2001 10:15 AM
Subject: GlobalFax Software

Dear Sirs:

Below is an e-mail I received from [email protected] on 11/28/00. In following a forum on MacNN <http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Forum2/HTML/002165.html> regarding GlobalFax 2.6.9 I have discovered other Mac users who use Global Village. At this time GlobalFax is operating well on my G4/350. However I am wondering if the upgrade to 2.7.x spoken of in the e-mail below is in the works via Zoom. It is the best faxing software available for the Mac. Please don't allow it to wither on the vine.

Sincerely,

James Retzner

madgreek
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2001, 07:33 PM

IBorg: Have tried your suggestions, but alas the software still doesn't work

I got this message from Zoom tech support today:

Hello, the problem is probably a compatibility issue with your new Powerbook G3 2000 Firewire. The software was manufactured before this model came out. The company that made the GlobalFax software, Boca Research, has left the modem/software business in July 2000 and there will be no updates/upgrades to that product. The Global Village brand name was sold to Zoom Telephonics for use in the manufacture of newly designed products only, and Zoom does not have any of the product engineering data on products manufactured while Global Village was under Inprimis' ownership.

I am sorry that we could not provide more assistance. Thank you.

������ Harry B.
������ Technical Support
������ Zoom Telephonics

See <http://www.globalvillage.com/news/pr_104.html>http://www.globalvillage.com/news/pr_104.html
===
===
===
iPhone 8GB

iBorg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2001, 01:10 AM

Originally posted by madgreek:

Hello, the problem is probably a compatibility issue with your new Powerbook G3 2000 Firewire. The software was manufactured before this model came out. The company that made the GlobalFax software, Boca Research, has left the modem/software business in July 2000 and there will be no updates/upgrades to that product. The Global Village brand name was sold to Zoom Telephonics for use in the manufacture of newly designed products only, and Zoom does not have any of the product engineering data on products manufactured while Global Village was under Inprimis' ownership.
madgreek - sounds like techspeak for "Don't bother me, it's not my job - I have no idea what to do, and I won't help." GlobalFax worked flawlessly with my '98 Wallstreet, and with my Pismo 500 '00 up through OS 9.0.4 - it's only with OS 9.1 that problems developed, and by disabling "auto receive fax," it works OK now, at least in SENDING faxes.

If you've tried the previous suggestions (including trashing the GlobalFax preferences, and maybe trash all GlobalFax items and do a fresh re-install) I'd try the Mac basics - rebuild desktop, zap PRAM, run DFA, run Norton's and/or TechTool Pro and Disk Warrior. You could try trashing your modem preferences and finder preferences, as well.

Past this, I can't think of what else would cause the unusual problem that you describe. Anyone else?

Good Luck!

iBorg

madgreek
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2001, 04:09 PM

iBord, I've tried all those suggestions and still have problems with faxing I'm still running 9.0.4 too and I can't get the software to work correctly. I even tried downgrading to Globalfax 2.6.5 with no luck. This program worked great with my Wallstreet, but it just doesn't like the Pismo.

Since I depend so heavily on the ability to fax I'm wondering if there's another good fax software out there? I heard there are MANY problems with Fax STF so I don't want to try that one.
===
===
===
iPhone 8GB

iBorg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2001, 08:46 AM

madgreek, since I'm able to use GlobalFax on my Pismo, it can't be a universal conflict with Pismo's.

Try Conflict Catcher to run a conflict test - if you don't have it, I think you can get a 30-day trial copy from http://www.casadyg.com It might take some manual testing, which would be time-consuming, since you'd have to do a test fax with each trial.

Otherwise, the only other fax software I've used on a Mac has been FaxSTF - not bad, but less Mac-like than GlobalFax.

iBorg

madgreek
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2001, 12:10 AM

Well, I seem to have found the program that's causing my GlobalFax problems. Unfortunately it's the program that I NEED to run. I have a Visioneer PaperPort scanner and the only version of the software that works with this PowerBook is v5.3. But that software does not like Globalfax. Now I need to find a fax software that is compatible with PaperPort and after searching all the Mac software sites I cannot find ANY fax software believe it or not
===
===
===
iPhone 8GB

Jim Retzner
Feb 10, 2001, 01:41 PM

Hey MadGreek,

Why not send an e-mail to Inprimis (see my post earlier) and let them know of our (we Mac-users) dilema. The more we let them know of our need the more they might feel it will be financially adventageous to them to upgrade and distribute GlobalFax.

madgreek
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2001, 02:35 AM

Great news! I just found out from someone how to get Globalfax working again. It seems PaperPort does not like to fax with the OPTION>PRINT command. Once I used the Link bar all is back to normal. My headache of the past few weeks is finally gone ;-)

Jim Retzner, That was a good suggestion about e-mailing Inprimis. I did just that and also suggested they make a version that is OS X compatible too ;-)
===
===
===
iPhone 8GB

Jim Retzner
Feb 23, 2001, 03:15 AM

While sending the same FAX to several addresses this afternoon my G4/350 on OS 9.1 crashed several times claiming System Error 10. I'd used Word 98 to write what was faxed. This happened last week as well but using Nisus 6.0.1. What might be causing this F-line construction error (thanks Ted Landau) to happen?

Forum Links
Forum Rules