Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Norton Utilities 6

Norton Utilities 6
iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 23, 2001, 06:26 AM

I generally use TechTools Pro 3 and Disk Warrior 2.1 for maintaining and fixing my Pismo, and my older desktop PPC. Sometimes, however, I use Norton's when the others can't fix a snafu.

My question: I'm still using Norton's v. 5, which seems to work fine - what advantage does upgrading toe Norton's v. 6 give? Symantec's website really doesn't address this. I'm running OS 9.1, but will upgrade to OS X 10.1 (?) this summer, when stability and DVD playing is no longer an issue.

In another related issue, my Norton's Antivirus v. 6 still works fine with OS 9.1, and updates from Symantec are as regular as for v. 7 - again, any advantages to upgrading versions?

Thanks for any advice and/or experience with these upgrades!

iBorg
MacBook Pro 2.33GHz, 15.4" Glossy, 160GB - and loving it!

Cipher13
Apr 23, 2001, 10:02 AM

The thing with Norton is, if you don't have the latest verison and update your OS and try and use it, I can almost gaurantee it'll mess up majorly.
I hate Norton.

Use TechTool Pro 3 if you must, and Disk Warrior.

I mean... the only necessary one is Disk Warrior.
TTP is a gimick... and is not needed. DW is for HD issues...

Ditch Norton.

------------------

Forum Links
Forum Rules