Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > ipod battery dies

ipod battery dies
Jacob
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2005, 01:27 AM

Okay, so I charge my ipod till it tells me it's fully charged. I disconnect it, turn it off and set it down, go to sleep. I wake up, turn it on and the battery indicator is empty. It doesnt play music, the batter is dead. I had the HOLD button on. I tried another test, charged it fully, and turned it off and left it without the HOLD button on. It's fine. So, why is my HOLD button draining all of my battery?

vinster
Senior User
Aug 5, 2005, 01:39 AM

How old is your iPod?

Try resetting it and see if that brings your battery back. If you're not in warranty and don't mind opening it up, you can unplug the battery from the motherboard and see if that helps, or even get a new battery.

I have a 2nd gen 20GB model that's almost 3 years old and I beginning to think these devices were made to recycle / throw away. So far I've changed the battery twice and sent it in to have the headphone jack repaired (design problem with the 2nd-gen model).

I'm having problems with the headphone jack again and really don't feel like spending another $75 to try and fix it. I'm waiting until it's completely gone and will get a new model. I really like the design of the 2nd generation iPods, though.

ixus_123
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2005, 09:50 PM

My battery appears to have done the same & died overnight. Last week it was fine, this week it wont hold a charge. I tried resetting it but it does no good.

I'm charging it over night now for my 3rd attempt & as I just spotted this thread, have made sure the hold button is set to off.

Could it be a software problem? I don't see how my battery can be fine one day & instantly dead the next.

I'm using a 3rd gen & am out of warranty
iBook G3 366mhz as a web server:
http://kieren.demon.co.uk/wordpress/

ixus_123
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2005, 07:56 AM

hooray - seems to be okay again after charging with the hold off. Been playing for about 35 mins now. I'm going to let it run flat then give it a long charge again. I'm hoping it's still good for about 8 hours of play
iBook G3 366mhz as a web server:
http://kieren.demon.co.uk/wordpress/

Forum Links
Forum Rules