Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > The 10.5 Wishlist

The 10.5 Wishlist (Page 6)
DewD
Sep 6, 2006, 08:17 PM

How long will it take Apple to add an universal UNINSTALLER to OS-X ? --- a simple elegant app that logs every file in every package each time you install anything , and can scrub the system for all of them on demand. Most Mac users have no idea how many zillions of invisible files live in the root cellar.... Puh-Leaze!!!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2006, 02:59 AM

It's already there. You can save a listing of all files installed by the standard Apple installer. Then pipe that list to an rm in the shell and you're done.

[edit: spelling]
( Last edited by Simon; Sep 19, 2006 at 02:42 AM. )

benz
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2006, 10:21 AM

built in TV tuner

rem
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2006, 05:54 PM

New wish list item since seeing iTunes 7....Aqua!!

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2006, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by rem
New wish list item since seeing iTunes 7....Aqua!!
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

zerroeffect
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2006, 09:41 AM

Like DewD sad above, an AppZapper-like functionality built right in would be nice. Considering the ease of use afforded by everything Apple designs, this should be a no-brainer.

Why hasn't it been done before?

plastiqueusa
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2006, 11:30 AM

I'd like to see an audio-enhancement plugin system built into the OS. Why should iTunes be the only beneficiary of audio enhancement and plugins? I say add a tab in the Sound preference pane and allow third parties like Dolby Labs to create audio plugins for the system.

Audio enhancement plugins could be chosen/activated/deactivated on a per-application basis from within each app, and Apple could provide just the basic enhancement from iTunes at first, allowing others to sell/give away better or more specialized versions in the aftermarket; I think it would be easy for a company such as Apple to bolt this onto the OS.

I want sound enhancement for DVD Player and EyeTV (and streaming to iTV) and any other program that wants to use it, without having to send audio out to a receiver for state of the art audio processing. What do you guys think? I already submitted the request to Apple.
( Last edited by plastiqueusa; Sep 21, 2006 at 12:49 PM. )

rukind
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2006, 02:20 PM

I hope it has a native sync program that assures and easy, seemless synchrnization between BB and Mail, Calender.

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2006, 10:32 PM

i would like ichat full screen from front row and apple needs to beef up that front row big time, they could make it so much more beautiful.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2006, 05:09 AM

The ability to use a MacBook/Pro or a iMac as a external monitor. Like TDM.
Signature depreciated.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2006, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO
The ability to use a MacBook/Pro or a iMac as a external monitor. Like TDM.
If done well, it's done in hardware. If not, it's just like VNC. The server side of that is already implemented in Tiger (ARD). The client is free.

BWhaler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2006, 06:16 AM

My wish list:

1. iCal is a full featured calendaring program

2. iDisk is fast and seamless

3. Full integration with iPhone, syncing, sms, answering phone via Mac and using speaker and microphone like remote bluetooth headset

4. Many more screen savers and desktop image options

5. Multiple "pages" on Dashboard

kick52
Baninated
Nov 23, 2006, 09:29 AM

Write enabled FTP in Finder
Its pretty stupid not to have it... I want my web host to be accessable as it would be hosting a site on my mac.. with drag and drop, and easy accessibility. Like iDisk for non-.mac hosts

Tabbed finder
It would be awesome, and improve work speed alot. Maybe you could drag a folder icon up to the 'tab-bar' and have it open in a new tab.

Faster finder
Loading folders with a lot of icons can take a while. Also, i'd like icon preview to be faster.

Faster safari
Scrolling pages is sometimes laggy, and could do with improvement.

TONS more actions available on Automator.
I don't want to be paying £10 for some crap sharware just to crop text!
( Last edited by kick52; Nov 23, 2006 at 09:36 AM. )

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2006, 02:23 PM

Dock enhancements to include "flexible spacers" like toolbars, and the ability to re-arrange the order of items. I'd prefer folders [space] apps [space] minimized windows. I'd also like the option to turn off magnification for everything except minimized windows.

Meta-data driven Finder. I should be able to browse my Documents folder like I browse iTunes.

Improve Smart Folders. They should be viewable in column, icon, and list view. They should have pop-up menus in the Dock.

Live Bookmarks in Safari. Option to hide duplicate RSS headlines.

Preview enhancements to include Core Image filter panel, replace drawer with pane, and make the frickin' zoom buttons work properly.

TextEdit improvements to include a real toolbar, with buttons to open palettes, insert tables, adjust kerning or spacing, etc. Also permit access to the Core Image panel and Image Correction panel for embedded images.

Font Panel improvements. It's way, way too wide. Add the preview pane as a drawer on the bottom instead of taking away space at the top. A tab-like toolbar similar to the Color panel would be a great idea. (The Color panel was designed perfectly, but the Font panel is an interface nightmare.)

Chess improvements. (Seriously.) Full-screen mode and better difficulty settings, plus a translucent HUD for recent moves, hints, score, time, etc.

If Apple wants to really spur Leopard adoption, they should:

1. Cancel iLife and iWork and fold those apps into the basic Mac OS X install. (Remember that promise to provide "the complete package," Steve?)

2. Provide free .Mac membership to Leopard buyers. (More of that "compelete package" thing.) Otherwise, I'm leaving .Mac. It's not worth the cost when similar services are free elsewhere.

3. While I'm dreaming, I'd like a pony too.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2006, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by booboo View Post
I hate Windows, but I do like opening 1 image in a folder, and having the image viewer (whatever it's called) open subsequent images via the cursor keys . . .

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2006, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
1. Cancel iLife and iWork and fold those apps into the basic Mac OS X install. (Remember that promise to provide "the complete package," Steve?)

2. Provide free .Mac membership to Leopard buyers. (More of that "compelete package" thing.) Otherwise, I'm leaving .Mac. It's not worth the cost when similar services are free elsewhere.

They would probably raise the price $100+ though....
Signature depreciated.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2006, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post

And then some would complain of being forced to pay for bundled software that they don't want.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2006, 03:42 PM

TextEdit improvements to include a real toolbar, with buttons to open palettes, insert tables, adjust kerning or spacing, etc. Also permit access to the Core Image panel and Image Correction panel for embedded images.
*cough* Pages *cough*

TextEdit is one thing, for editing text. Keep it simple. Heck, I don't even think it should have had rich text.

Both TextEdit and Pages have a place in my dock, right next to each other.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2006, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
*cough* Pages *cough*

TextEdit is one thing, for editing text. Keep it simple. Heck, I don't even think it should have had rich text.

Both TextEdit and Pages have a place in my dock, right next to each other.
I'm basically asking for toolbar access to current features in TextEdit. Only the Core Image and Image Correction panels would be new to TextEdit.

I only use Pages to create documents I intend to print. I view it as a "page layout" app rather than a word processor.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2006, 06:06 PM

Probably, but we're all gonna have to buy iLife '07 for Leopard anyway. I'll bet money that many features like Time Machine won't work for iLife '06 or iWork '06.

And I bet many features of iLife '07 will require Leopard because of dependancies on new tech like Core Animation.

Sad but true.

kick52
Baninated
Dec 10, 2006, 07:14 AM

Added to my list:

Preview Enhancements Make it be able to quickly resize, and apply "Effect presets". So, if you have a dark camera, just make it one click to make the photo brighter, and then resize it to put on the net. So basicly, build Automator into Preview.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2006, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by kick52 View Post
Added to my list:

Preview Enhancements Make it be able to quickly resize, and apply "Effect presets". So, if you have a dark camera, just make it one click to make the photo brighter, and then resize it to put on the net. So basicly, build Automator into Preview.
The the heck is a "dark camera"? Who has a dark camera? Is it a regular camera that only takes dark photos, because I've never heard of such a thing. Maybe it's operator problem, instead of the camera's problem.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2006, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by TheSpaz View Post
The the heck is a "dark camera"? Who has a dark camera? Is it a regular camera that only takes dark photos, because I've never heard of such a thing. Maybe it's operator problem, instead of the camera's problem.
A camra that doesn't capture light that well. i.e. my camra

EX pic:

My room is actually very bright
Signature depreciated.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2006, 02:39 PM

you must have a horrendous camera then
we don't have time to stop for gas

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2006, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
you must have a horrendous camera then
Yeah.... Sometime next year we might get a new one
Signature depreciated.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2006, 02:55 PM

A camra that doesn't capture light that well. i.e. my camra

EX pic:

My room is actually very bright
The camera's light meter mesures the light coming from the monitor and sets the correct exposure for that. As a result the rest of the pic is dark.
There is nothing wrong with your camera. Correct settings or using a flash would fix that.

As you can see in this image the light was measured the light coming from the iMac's LCD.

In this image I measured the wall.
( Last edited by Goldfinger; Dec 10, 2006 at 03:16 PM. )

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2006, 04:00 PM

Goldfinger, I don't have a flash. I use a digital camera/camcorder.
Signature depreciated.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2006, 04:01 PM

So we're hearing about new internal seeds, and still no indication of anything significantly different in the Finder. I'm starting to think that if the Finder had some new wiz-bang features, we would have heard something by now.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2006, 04:41 PM

Goldfinger, I don't have a flash. I use a digital camera/camcorder.
Oh. Well the same applies to a videocamera

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2006, 12:33 AM

Rumors are going around that a glossy black interface called Illuminous is coming, something of the sort which I and a few others predicted ages ago. I hope you guys aren't getting too attached to the incredibly boring interface of these dev builds.

Macanoid
Senior User
Dec 13, 2006, 07:44 AM

Dock enhancements to include "flexible spacers" like toolbars, and the ability to re-arrange the order of items. I'd prefer folders [space] apps [space] minimized windows. I'd also like the option to turn off magnification for everything except minimized windows.
Fantastic idea - I like it!

kick52
Baninated
Dec 14, 2006, 04:03 AM

Spotlight Enhancements Make it search AFTER we press enter please, for older machines. Also, make it faster.

Kar98
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2006, 08:04 PM

"Print selection..."

and the ability to set any Web browser as the actual default browser, not this silly half-assed implementation there's now.

Boolean searches for Spotlight

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2006, 08:15 PM

Better F***ing Themeing!!!!!!!
Signature depreciated.

Kar98
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2006, 08:32 PM

Better F***ing Themeing!!!!!!!
Oh, you mean like _one_ consistent theme throughout, not aqua, plastic, brushed metal, pinstripes, and blueish-gray, and that's just the apps from Apple? Gee, that's crazy talk

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2006, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
Oh, you mean like _one_ consistent theme throughout, not aqua, plastic, brushed metal, pinstripes, and blueish-gray, and that's just the apps from Apple? Gee, that's crazy talk
no the ability to theme OS X with ShapeShifter (or something else Apple would come out with) with out the HUGE lag
Signature depreciated.

gradient
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2006, 09:14 PM

what is this lag you speak of?

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2006, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
what is this lag you speak of?
With the new version it takes me 3x longer to log in and 2x longer to boot
Signature depreciated.

gradient
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2006, 09:52 PM

that's very strange, I've got the new version installed on both my G5 and my iBook and haven't noticed any difference at all as far as system performance goes.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2006, 07:11 PM

Smarter Eject Button

When you highlight a disk on your desktop (Including HDs, Flash Drives, and iPods) and hit the eject key the disk ejects. If no disk is highlighted the CD/DVD is default.
Signature depreciated.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2006, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by plastiqueusa View Post
I'd like to see an audio-enhancement plugin system built into the OS. Why should iTunes be the only beneficiary of audio enhancement and plugins? I say add a tab in the Sound preference pane and allow third parties like Dolby Labs to create audio plugins for the system.

Audio enhancement plugins could be chosen/activated/deactivated on a per-application basis from within each app, and Apple could provide just the basic enhancement from iTunes at first, allowing others to sell/give away better or more specialized versions in the aftermarket; I think it would be easy for a company such as Apple to bolt this onto the OS.

I want sound enhancement for DVD Player and EyeTV (and streaming to iTV) and any other program that wants to use it, without having to send audio out to a receiver for state of the art audio processing. What do you guys think? I already submitted the request to Apple.
System-wide software audio processing would cause problems with video applications because even a latency like 50ms would throw off the lip sync in videos. Audio processing really only works on an app-by-app basis.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Dec 26, 2006, 07:41 PM

Finder - The finder feels VERY slugish on my 1.5 year old computer. Yes "get more RAM" is the most common response, but it's the Finder... it should work perfectly with 512MB of RAM.

Safari - Speed and stability seem to be my main two issues with the program. I'm fine with everything else.

Desktop Icons - We should have a number of ways to space our icons... period. There should be a basic... and an advanced. When I get into heavy production mode, I'll have 30+ icons on a desktop in an afternoon (I file them all away at the end of the day).

Consistency - Consisistency seems to be a major issue with many here, and I agree. We should have a nice universal look/feel. I'm fine if the pro-apps have a different look, or you do have some variation... but there should be some logic to how things look.

Introduction - Apple SERIOUSLY needs to get on the ball and help some of the new switchers. The install CD/DVD should have a welcome tutorial that walks a new user through how to use the system. Even a basic introduction to the operating system would be greatly appreciated. I'm tired of people being completely overwhelmed by the OS, and I feel 20-30 little movies could get a basic user moving along rather quickly.

I'm actually fine with most of the other stuff... there are some great ideas in here, but the preview of Leopard seems solid. I just hope they fix the few issues I have BEFORE introducing things I don't use much.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 26, 2006, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post
Finder - The finder feels VERY slugish on my 1.5 year old computer. Yes "get more RAM" is the most common response, but it's the Finder... it should work perfectly with 512MB of RAM.
Just to check, you're saying that you have just turned on the computer and do not have any applications or background programs running and the Finder feels consistently slow? Because my Finder will be slow sometimes if I'm running Quark and Photoshop in the background, but it's hardly the Finder's fault that I'm overextending my 1 GB of RAM.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

kick52
Baninated
Dec 31, 2006, 08:42 PM

Good Ad/Banner blocking in Safari
It would be good to get rid of banners and flash ads with a built-in function like in Camino. One that doesnt have all the pattern crap... Camino's blocker works great.

Syncing in Finder
Something like symbolic links, that can be used over a network, like FTP, or WebDAV or something.

kick52
Baninated
Jan 4, 2007, 06:54 PM

Large image support in Safari
It would be good if Safari sized down images larger than the browser window. Like in Camino.

Better Finder Stability
Stop Finder crashing and becoming unresponsive if a network connection fails. Like AFP crashes Finder when the connection drops.

Easier file saving
The ability to use the document icon to the left of a document window title as a file to save. Even if I havent saved it already.

Example:

I want this to ALWAYS be there on a document app, for easy saving. So I can just drag it to the place I want to save it.

Nuks
Jan 7, 2007, 05:52 PM

delete

arng1
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2007, 12:07 AM

One thing I would like to see is new theme to OSX. Not that it doesnt already look great. Oh, and maybe more features to Safari, similar to Saft.

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2007, 06:47 PM

Make frontrow sick. right now its just cool.

and shouldnt you be able to buy front row for older computers(or can you)?

arng1
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2007, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by MattJeff View Post
Make frontrow sick. right now its just cool.

and shouldnt you be able to buy front row for older computers(or can you)?
I know there are ways to install it on a power mac, and I definitely agree it would be nice to see a revamped version.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2007, 05:29 PM

Better UI
Signature depreciated.

Forum Links
Forum Rules