Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Cube G4

Cube G4
Jacob
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2005, 02:15 AM

I have a general question about the Powermac G4 Cube. I saw it in this store for $899 (canadian). Basically comes with the G4 Cube itself, the 450MHZ version, with 512MB Memory, 20GB HDD, DVD-ROM, Mac OS 10.3, box, manuals, restore disks, etc. Plus a 15" Apple LCD monitor, 2 piece speaker set (original set) and keyboard and mouse. I am not looking to do wonders with this thing. But for that price, can anyone tell me if that is an okay price/value? Thanks!
"I cluck, therefor I am."

Nivag
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2005, 07:38 AM

converting the price the UK Sterling i'd say it's not a bad price if it's coming with a 15" LCD. i have seen them going for a bit less on ebay, but not by much.

JCT
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2005, 07:38 AM

Is it new and never used? If so, then it sounds like more of a collector's item and then the price is not ridiculous.

If you just want a Cube to use and enjoy, head over to Ebay, prices have come down substantially.
Another great place to check out is Cubeowner .

I bought a Cube as my first Power Mac two years ago. It was a great intro to Mac desktop computing (I revved mine up with a Sonnet 800 Mhz CPU, more RAM, faster HDD and an Ati Radeon 7000). When I subsequently bought my Dual G5 I turned it into a headless Fileserver and it now sits in a place of honor next to my desk .

Good luck with your search.

JT
Quad 2.5 Ghz G5 7GB RAM + 7800GT
15" MBP 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 100 GB 7200 RPM HDD
G4 DA 1.2 Ghz 1.5 GB RAM + 4 HDD (fileserver)
G4 Cube 800MHz , Radeon 7000, 1.5 GB RAM
<not bad for a relatively new switcher...>

OreoCookie
Sep 8, 2005, 01:58 PM

Why do you want a Cube? These are not the best solution for people who actually want to get work done on their machines … they are stunningly beautiful, though, no question about it.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Jacob  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 9, 2005, 01:38 AM

Thing is, it's an awsome sounding deal. And it looks amazing, like OreoCookie mentioned. One of the main reasons I'm drooling over it..that and the LCD. Would I be better off with the Mac mini? And a question about the graphics card expansion, I realise it's AGP...can I put ANY video card in there? Or does it have to be a certain 'Apple' brand or something?
"I cluck, therefor I am."

OreoCookie
Sep 9, 2005, 02:54 AM

A Mac mini would bet at least twice as fast, so in terms of speed and usability, a Mac mini would be better.

450 MHz is pretty, pretty slow for OS X already, plus you won't have a combo drive/superdrive.

If you want to replace your video card in your cube, you have to put in special Apple compatible video cards; only slow AGP 2x cards fit in there. Another problem is that it mustn't emit too much heat as the Cube is passively cooled.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

iDriveX
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2005, 03:12 AM

Even if you upgraded the G4 Cube to the hilt, the Mac Mini will always run circles around it. This only has to do with the Bus Speed. I have a Dual chip in my Cube with a Beautiful Nvidia GeForce 3 in there and a 23" Apple Display attached to it. It's fast and I can get plenty of work done on it, but there are times when I get frusterated and breakout my 1 Ghz 12" PowerBook G4. Believe it or not, it's probably about 1.5x faster. The cube CHOKES on any video stuff too.

But I love my cube, I'd never give it up, just don't expect to render anything on it.

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 9, 2005, 10:59 AM

Then there's something wrong with your Cube. You'll find that just about anybody you'll talk to would take a Cube with a nice processor upgrade over a Mini. The system bus makes almost no difference in the performance of the various G4 machines, cache does and the Mini doesn't have enough of it.

One
Two
Three
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2005, 12:41 PM

An upgraded Cube beats a mini.
( Last edited by Eriamjh; Sep 12, 2005 at 07:10 AM. )

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

jedi2187
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2005, 03:25 PM

Jacob,
If you want to find a lower price, check out the Cube at www.dvwarehouse.com
Last I checked, they were selling them for around $289...

Forum Links
Forum Rules