Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > HELP! iTunes lost almost all of my library! what to do?

HELP! iTunes lost almost all of my library! what to do?
V12
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2006, 06:34 PM

Ok so i start up iTunes today, the application quits itself and i lose almost all my songs, i went from 1,3XX+ to 82 (oddly my firts 4 cds i uploaded to itunes)

Now i still have my songs on my ipod but i dont want to lose them when i sync it.

Is there any way to sync the songs on my ipod back to my itunes?

if so what would be the correct way to do this?

thank you in advance!

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2006, 06:58 PM

Do you mean that the songs only disappeared from your iTunes Library, or they disappeared from your computer entirely? Go to your iTunes Music Folder and make sure that the songs aren't still there before you look into pulling them off of your iPod. If they are still on your computer, you likely just need to delete the probably-corrupt iTunes Library files (located in ~/Music/iTunes by default), restart iTunes, and re-add the song files back to your Library.

If you do need to pull the songs from your iPod, look on http://www.versiontracker.com for one of the many programs that can do this for you, and follow their instructions.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

V12  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2006, 08:51 PM

yea i believe they completely disappeared from my itunes library...only 83 songs are there....i had over 1300

when i look in my itunes music folder i do have files for all my songs...what do i do?

maybe if i had someone AIM s/n who could walk me through this it would be very helpful

thanks alot for pointing me in the right direction spacemonkey

rparke1
Banned
Feb 21, 2006, 09:27 PM

"If you do need to pull the songs from your iPod, look on http://www.versiontracker.com for one of the many programs that can do this for you, and follow their instructions."

try out the app SENUTI
has given me so much happiness for such a small app

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 21, 2006, 09:34 PM

Drag the iTunes Music folder into iTunes and it'll add them all back. (It'll lose play counts, but that's about it.)

As for why it happened: check that your hard disk isn't full. If it fills up during use, it can happen that a program cannot save a file (e.g. its preferences), causing corruption. Losing the iTunes library is exactly what happens if the disk becomes full and it can't save.

tooki

rparke1
Banned
Feb 21, 2006, 09:53 PM

^ very good to know. thank you tooki!

V12  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2006, 10:06 PM

thank you tooki, once again you come to the rescue i actually just did that before i check here but i am happy it worked and no longer upset. Thanks again, back to my school work!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2006, 10:11 PM

Backup!

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Forum Links
Forum Rules