Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Need accordion sound for Garageband

Need accordion sound for Garageband
zmcgill
Jun 12, 2006, 07:02 PM

My roommate challenged me to duplicate the Office theme song, so here's what I have:
Original
Mine

The biggest problem is that Garageband doesn't have an accordion. I downloaded SoundSynth and found a good accordion soundfont, but it would only let me play one octave in the trial version. I then got SimpleSynth and opened up the soundfont file, and recorded the session using Audio Hijack. I then imported that AIF into Garageband, and it worked okay, but not perfectly. As you can tell, the response isn't instant, so it's loud on the long notes, and quiet on the fast ones. (I'm using an M-Audio 49e) Is there a better (still free) way to do this? Or maybe just a better accordion voice to use? The one I used was called CampbellsHonerAccord
I know the guitar eq needs adjusting and if I wanted to be really authentic I could figure out and add in the organ sound.
Any thoughts/comments?

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2006, 07:12 PM

Original sounds good..close enough, 2nd one is too prominant. God job though
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

zmcgill  (op)
Jun 12, 2006, 08:12 PM

I suppose I could go through and manually change the track volume for the accordion according to how loud it's playing to even it out...and yeah, adjust the volume of each of the tracks to better match the original.
Thanks for the compliment, I've played with garageband some and only made a couple actual songs, but I'm fairly musically inclined and I have a good ear.
Like I said before, the software stuff was made with a Keystation 49e, I recorded the guitar with my electric guitar and iMic.

Forum Links
Forum Rules