Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Can't add airport to MacPro later?

Can't add airport to MacPro later?
memento
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2006, 09:33 PM

My last computer was a dual G4 MDD and powerbook G4. I've been told that you can't add an airport card to a new MacPro unless you get it BTO. Is that true? You really can't add one later? Or is it just difficult?
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2006, 09:40 PM

you can, it just has to be done by an authorized apple technician (i.e. take it to an Apple Store or a third-party reseller)

"I start fires!"

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2006, 09:41 PM

It can be added, but it's difficult and you'll need an Apple authorized service tech to do it and keep your warranty.

krillbee
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006, 11:29 PM

What do you have to do? solder it in? update the firmware?

im pretty sure a tech savvy person could probably do that at home too.

is this how it worked in the previous power macs?

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2006, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by krillbee
What do you have to do? solder it in? update the firmware?

im pretty sure a tech savvy person could probably do that at home too.

is this how it worked in the previous power macs?
technically, yes, but you can't get the service part through any normal means, and if Apple finds out (which they could do by checking the service records to see if you should have the card or not, though they probably wouldn't go that far) it'll void your warranty.

that's how it worked on the last revision (dual core, late 2005) G5 towers and now the Mac Pros. all earlier G5s used standard Airport Extreme cards.

"I start fires!"

memento  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2006, 06:39 AM

that blows. But the apple sales guy wasn't telling it to me straight either way. He said that it couldn't be added at all. I kept questioning him on it because it seemed strange. He held his ground. So it looks like *I* can't add one, or shouldn't add one, but a service center can.

thanks!
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

nforcer
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2006, 08:43 AM

That kind of sucks. With the hassle of getting an "authorized tech" to do such a procedure and the expenses associated you'd probably be better off getting a USB wireless adaptor. I was going to get mine with an airport card and bluetooth deal, but even the airport card alone added 4 weeks to the ship time and I was like "forget it". Does adding a bluetooth deal also need to be done by an "authorized tech"?
Genius. You know who.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2006, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by nforcer
That kind of sucks. With the hassle of getting an "authorized tech" to do such a procedure and the expenses associated you'd probably be better off getting a USB wireless adaptor. I was going to get mine with an airport card and bluetooth deal, but even the airport card alone added 4 weeks to the ship time and I was like "forget it". Does adding a bluetooth deal also need to be done by an "authorized tech"?
That's what they said about the G5's bluetooth module as well, but pretty shortly after their intro the BT modules became available on the web. You'd have to pay a bit more for it after-the-fact, but certainly available.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2006, 04:48 PM

I've seen the service manual, and it looks like a very simple upgrade (2 cards in 2 slots) if the antenna is already in place... maybe if you don't order wireless, they don't install the antennas?

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2006, 06:16 PM

I just put a wireless pci card in my G5 that came without wireless. It was a belkin, and worked fine. However, I believe the newer Belkin chipsets might not work natively with OS X, and you have to install a nasty hack from Belkin to get it work. They might be supported by now though, this was probably 6 months ago that I dealt with the newer Belkin card.

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2006, 11:14 PM

I would like to add Bluetooth internally to my PMac 2GHZ G5 Dual Core. Where can I buy one and is it difficult to install?

Forum Links
Forum Rules