Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Hard drive won't spin up

Hard drive won't spin up
memento
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2006, 09:28 AM

I have a hard drive that has suddenly stopped working. The data on it is not critical, but I'd like to retrieve it (so no talk about making backups, I do that with important stuff like my photos etc).

If I hook it up to my Mac Pro 2nd optical spot, it won't spin up. If I plug it into a verified external FW enclosure it won't spin up either. At least with the external, I can see the status light. It is the same color that I see when I use a working drive in it and that drive is spinning up from sleeping. If I listen to the drive, it never starts to spin and I can't see it using disk utility or system profiler.

Any suggestions to wake this drive?
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2006, 09:08 PM

It sounds like its dead. You may want to get a new one...
Signature depreciated.

Calli46
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2006, 12:38 AM

I've read elsewhere on the web of a trick that I would try on a bad drive (read : not spinning). Get the drive out of the computer and put it in a freezer for a night. Next morning, take it out the freezer and, without waiting, give it a try in your computer. If it starts up spinning and mounts on the desktop, copy everything you can from it, then dump it forever!

Good luck!
X0X0X from Calli
--------------------------------
1800 DP/1024MB/180GB

memento  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2006, 03:22 PM

that's interesting! freeze it? It must have to do with parts shrinking when cold, maybe freeing up something that's bound. Heck, it's worth a try!
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

memento  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2006, 09:30 AM

Freezing it didn't help. I'll hold on to it for a little while longer and keep looking for something that will work.

minimalistmatt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2006, 11:10 AM

I've just had this nightmare with my external FW drive.

Not recognised on Disc Utility or Finder. Not spinning up, and no sign of life.

With it being in a Firewire enclosure I just kept switching it off and on rapidly about 100 times, then I shook it around and gave it a few knocks (probably not recommended) just incase a connector was loose, and then I retried turning it off and on quickly again about another 100 times.

I was planning on the Freezer trick having given up all hope (noting that it didn't work for you though) when, having left it alone for 10 minutes I flicked it on and started up. I ran disk utility on it and Drive 10 which show no problems with it ! I have lost faith though and am getting a another one. (I already have 2 so if this was dead I would still be okay)

Don't give up - sometimes there's hope.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2006, 11:32 AM

I have had success with this:
(Warning, have it set up to immediately pull the data off!)
Hit it, hard. Not smash it, hit it, enough to free the read/write head. Turn it on, recover your data, throw it away.
Prayer, burnt chicken bones, garlic all help too.

kick52
Baninated
Nov 4, 2006, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Calli46 View Post
I've read elsewhere on the web of a trick that I would try on a bad drive (read : not spinning). Get the drive out of the computer and put it in a freezer for a night. Next morning, take it out the freezer and, without waiting, give it a try in your computer. If it starts up spinning and mounts on the desktop, copy everything you can from it, then dump it forever!

Good luck!
that seems weird..

wouldnt there be a danger of some ice melting and shorting your logic board?

memento  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2006, 08:46 PM

So I was able to swap it's logic board with another one from a nearly identical drive. It can spin up, but all I get from the finder is that it is unreadable and the option to reformat, ignore, or eject (it's in an external firewire enclosure now). I ran system profiler and saw that it was recognized as disk5 so I ran fsck and got the following:

Code:
fsck /dev/disk5 ** /dev/rdisk5 CANNOT READ: BLK 16 CONTINUE? [yn] y THE FOLLOWING DISK SECTORS COULD NOT BE READ: 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, Floating point exception
Any suggestions at this point?

Forum Links
Forum Rules