Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My Macbook Ordeal

My Macbook Ordeal
blueleaf
Dec 3, 2006, 10:25 PM

Well, last week, I recieved my 2.0 ghz, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HD, white macbook that I ordered from the apple store online.

I opened it, and instantly fell in love. I was on it almost all day and was extremely happy with my purchase. Well, the next morning, I was using it, and when i opened it from sleep mode, it wouldn't turn on, so I just turned it off and let it sit for awhile. When I tried to turn it back on again, I got the "gray screen of death" with a message to restart my computer in 4 different languages...

Obviously, I was extremely dissapointed...it had only been one day and my computer was already having serious problems...I really expected more from Apple. I felt like one of the reasons I'm paying more for a Mac is a better quality product...this was my first mac so I was clearly dissapointed...

Well, being the Mac noob that i was, I had no idea what to do. I called tech support right away, and they told me to do a few thing like reset the PRAM, among other things. Eventually they told me it was a RAM problem and that I should take out the RAM and put it back in again. I tried that to no avail...After this, they told me to just take it into the apple store to get it looked at.

It's about a one hour bus/subway ride down to the nearest apple store (Yorkdale Mall, Toronto) so I couldn't make it down there until next weekend. I made a reservation at the Genius Bar online, and went down there... The guy was pretty helpful...but he didn't do anything that tech support couldn't have told me. He just ran the disk utility thing off the disk and found out that it was a software problem with OS X. So he told me to reinstall the operating system, which I did..but I lost all my files. It was only one day's worth so it was no big deal.

But I felt like kind of an idiot...but I am a Mac noob. Anyways...now my macbook is working great, I've been using it for a few days now, with no problems. I even made a really nice movie/slideshow in iMovie of my dog in a day which I am very proud of But yea, I am VERY happy with my macbook now, it's easily the nicest computer i've ever had period, and everything about it is great...Although I'm stil dissapointed with apple...

jasong
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2006, 11:21 PM

You should be disappointed, you could have done an Archive and Install and not lost any of your files. Anyway, sorry you had a rough start, but at least your experience can only get better.
-- Jason

webb3201
Senior User
Dec 3, 2006, 11:24 PM

In the scheme of computer issues, that really is not much of an ordeal. All computers can have problems at times, and many love the fact that Apple has local stores that can help. In your case, I know it stinks to have to drive a bit (or ride), but you certainly did not have to. Just explain to them that you are not within easy travel and that you need them to send for the machine if you prefer.

I am glad you switched, and you will soon be an expert in these things...just troll these forums and youll know as much as the Apple genius team in no time.
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

blueleaf  (op)
Dec 4, 2006, 05:35 PM

Yea..you are right..it wasn't much of an ordeal really..but I guess I just felt like it was more of an ordeal than it needed to be. And the guy at the Genius Bar never told me about archiving to get all of my files back...although it's not that big of a deal because I only had it for one day...

Anyways, I'm definitely glad I made the switch..and I'm sure your right..in no time i'll be able to fix anything aside from a hardware problem completely on my own

webb3201
Senior User
Dec 4, 2006, 07:15 PM

stay here long enough and youll be soldering your motherboard when the macbook goes out of warranty!!
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules