Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > General noob confusion about OS X - questions

General noob confusion about OS X - questions
blueleaf
Dec 5, 2006, 09:49 PM

Ok, I just got a macbook about a week ago, and its my first mac. I am absolutely loving it so far..but I have a couple of questions.

When I first registered my computer, and it asked me for my email address, and then a nickname, i put down my email address and automatically it made my nickname that email address...I didn't notice it at the time but when I booted it up, the house icon in the side with all my documents, pictures etc. it had my email address..instead of my real name. When I pressed rename..it seemed to have made another user account. So now I have one user account with my real name, and one user account with my email address...If i pressed rename...why would it make another folder completely? Also, the folder with my real name is only a folder, instead of that house...i don't care too much about that, but it would be nice to have everything matching and looking proper. So, can I just delete the original user account with my email address if I make sure to move all of those files into the user account that I created? And is there any way to make the icon of the user account that I created into a house?

Ok, thats one question...moving on to question number 2...

I decided to move the pictures folder onto my desktop, basically because that was easier and I use the folder alot...well when I did that..all of my photobooth pictures got erased...I wondered why...I still can't really figure out why...I think it simply created a duplicated folder or something...but the photo's are still in there...

ANYways...i eventually found all of the photobooth pictures in another pictures folder but is there any way to get them into the bottom of the photobooth screen? I'm assuming not, but that's just alot easier to share them.

Well, now my pictures folder is back in my HD, to clear things up...but that didn't really change anything...

Ok...thats about it...It's kind of confusing when renaming a folder creates a new one...and moving a folder deletes all my photo's from the photobooth bottom bar...but whatever, I'm still getting used to it...but other than these two things...I am absolutely loving my macbook!

romeosc
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2006, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by blueleaf View Post
Ok, I just got a macbook about a week ago, and its my first mac. I am absolutely loving it so far..but I have a couple of questions.

When I first registered my computer, and it asked me for my email address, and then a nickname, i put down my email address and automatically it made my nickname that email address...I didn't notice it at the time but when I booted it up, the house icon in the side with all my documents, pictures etc. it had my email address..instead of my real name. When I pressed rename..it seemed to have made another user account. So now I have one user account with my real name, and one user account with my email address...If i pressed rename...why would it make another folder completely? Also, the folder with my real name is only a folder, instead of that house...i don't care too much about that, but it would be nice to have everything matching and looking proper. So, can I just delete the original user account with my email address if I make sure to move all of those files into the user account that I created? And is there any way to make the icon of the user account that I created into a house?

Ok, thats one question...moving on to question number 2...

I decided to move the pictures folder onto my desktop, basically because that was easier and I use the folder alot...well when I did that..all of my photobooth pictures got erased...I wondered why...I still can't really figure out why...I think it simply created a duplicated folder or something...but the photo's are still in there...

ANYways...i eventually found all of the photobooth pictures in another pictures folder but is there any way to get them into the bottom of the photobooth screen? I'm assuming not, but that's just alot easier to share them.

Well, now my pictures folder is back in my HD, to clear things up...but that didn't really change anything...

Ok...thats about it...It's kind of confusing when renaming a folder creates a new one...and moving a folder deletes all my photo's from the photobooth bottom bar...but whatever, I'm still getting used to it...but other than these two things...I am absolutely loving my macbook!
I'm not sure how you renaming your Home folder created a new user account.

To keep your picture folder handy drag it to the dock making it available at all times.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2006, 11:03 PM

1. I think this Apple article could solve your username problem:

Mac OS X 10.3, 10.4 or later: Return to default desktop, apparent "loss" of home directory

Really I have no idea why Apple let users change the name so easily, because it has the wrong results. I hope they change this behaviour in Leopard.

2. I think what happened with your photobooth photos is that when you moved the Pictures folder Photobooth no longer knew where to find those pics, so none where displayed in the app. If you logged out and in again the Finder would create a new Pictures folder in your Home folder. You can just move the original Pictures folder back into your Home folder and all will be fine.
If you want easy access to your Pics folder, you can drag it to the right hand side of the Dock. Or you can make an Alias of it (a shortcut in Windows). Select the folder and then press apple-L (or right click and choose Make Alias, or go to the File Menu and choose Make Alias, or hold and apple and option as you drag the folder - the cursor will turn into a curved arrow).
( Last edited by monkeybrain; Dec 5, 2006 at 11:11 PM. )

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2006, 11:20 PM

a)
You can not (easily} change your short username. If you rename it, the system will just create a new, empty one with the proper name and use that instead.
You need to create a new admin account in System Preferences->Accounts, move your files over to that (via the public drop box for example) and then you can delete the old account.
You must have put your e-mail address in the wrong field by the way, since the default account name is based on your name, not your e-mail address.

b)
Photobooth expects its pictures to be in the Pictures folder in your home folder, so don't move the Pictures folder to the Desktop. Either put it into the Dock or create an alias (File->Make Alias in Finder) and move the alias to the Desktop.

blueleaf  (op)
Dec 6, 2006, 04:28 PM

OK, well, I just renamed the home folder and moved the files into my new one, and I figured that would be fine, but just now...when I turned me computer on for the first time today, all my user info had been deleted. Like dock settings, all the applications in my dock, desktop, system settings, stuff like that, had all been deleted. I still had all my files so it wasnt that big a deal and i just moved everything back to normal. I assumed it was because I had made a new home folder or something...so I figured I would just move everything back into the original home folder that has the awkward name (btw, it's not that bad, just my name with underscores and numbers) to make everything less complicated. I then logged out to see if my settings had stayed...they didn't. It was probabaly stupid to move everything back into the original home folder, but again...I'm still learning the whole Mac OS X stuff....

ANYways...do you guys know for sure what caused my settings to be restored? Just so that I know not to do that again...thanks again and sorry for my stupidity...

Brass
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2006, 08:27 PM

Instead of dragging your Pictures folder to the desktop, you should drag it to the Dock (the right section near the trash). This will not move or copy the folder, but will simply create an alias to it that is easily accessible from the Dock at all times.

(The left side of the Dock is for applications only, so you can't drag it to there).

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2006, 06:11 PM

Your personal settings are stored in the 'Library' folder inside your home folder.

What you need to do to fix this is go into System Preferences, choose Accounts, click the lock to make changes and enter your password (if you have to) then click the '+' button at the bottom of the list of the left side. Now create a new user with the name you want and be sure and give that user admin privileges.
Now, while still in your current account, hold option and drag the contents of your home folder (pictures, music, movies, library, etc) to the 'Shared' folder inside the same folder that your home folder is in.
Now log out and log in as the user you just created. Go back to the 'Shared' folder and copy everything from there into your current (correct name) user folder.
Open up the terminal and type the following command:

sudo chown -R [name] ~/

Obviously replacing the brackets and text with your new, correct short user name. You'll have to enter your password and then it should make your new name the owner of all of those files. Now log out and back in as the right user and your settings should all be there.

Let me know if this works for you.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2006, 04:28 AM

Where is the public drop box located?

//edit: Dont answer this, I just found it...

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2006, 06:18 AM

You don't need to use the terminal to change the ownership of files - you can use the Finder. Select your user's home folder (Hard drive -> Users -> [name] ) in the Finder, do File->Get Info, and then at the very bottom of the info window you'll see Ownership and Permissions. Select the correct (new) user name (you might have to click the little lock icon to be able to do this), and then click 'Apply to enclosed items'.

It's best not to move those top level folders that are in your Home folder, as some applications rely on them being in the right place. IF you want to, say, have your pictures folder on your desktop create an Alias ('shortcut') by dragging the folder to the desktop whilst holding down the Command (⌘) and Alt (⌥) keys.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2006, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Gee4orce View Post
You don't need to use the terminal to change the ownership of files - you can use the Finder. Select your user's home folder (Hard drive -> Users -> [name] ) in the Finder, do File->Get Info, and then at the very bottom of the info window you'll see Ownership and Permissions. Select the correct (new) user name (you might have to click the little lock icon to be able to do this), and then click 'Apply to enclosed items'.
In my numerous years of Mac OS X experience, this button has never worked. The terminal, however, always works.

Forum Links
Forum Rules