Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Survey for my thesis paper - about freeware programs

Survey for my thesis paper - about freeware programs
V12
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2008, 05:03 PM

Hello fellow NN'ers,

I haven't been on the forums for a while due to me being very busy with school, work, and traveling. However I am attempting to get an early start on my Business IT class year end paper. Essentially, the question i need answered (a brief supported answer) is:

What motivates a programmer to develop freeware and/or free open source / free source code programs then share it with others for NO monetary compensation?

I understand i can google this question and find a exact answer however i need a brief survey of what others think/know the reason is.

If you can also disclose information of whether or not you work in any IT related departments or fields and your age range (under 18, 18-25, 26-30, 31-40, 41-50, 51+)

Thank you, i greatly appreciate your imput!!!

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2008, 05:24 PM

When I was developing it was for...

1. Fun

2. Freeware opened the door to people buying my shareware (most of my main app sales were from people who found my app, JediMaker, for example).

3. Exposure -- getting your name out there.

4. Fun.

And yeah, I'm the Sr Manager of the CIS Dept, and I'm 34.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

freudling
Banned
Apr 27, 2008, 11:01 PM

V12:

Sounds like an easy, boring paper. Just write it in one night thinking up all of the common sense reasons as to why people create freeware, and, if you must, take a look around to see if you missed anything after you wrote it. So yes, write this one first, then research a little to get a few more ideas. You will save yourself a lot of time this way.

Forum Links
Forum Rules