Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Firmware 2.4 Update for Pismo

Firmware 2.4 Update for Pismo
iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 4, 2000, 06:54 PM

I've waited to update the firmware for my Pismo 500, to see if any major problems resulted, and I haven't heard much. I'm usually one of the first users to update software, but since you cannot undo a firmware update, I've still waited.

Any problems encountered with this update? Any problem areas that were solved by updating it? My only problem with this little speedster has been my inability for my new Que! Firewire CD-RW 8x4x32 to work (cannot "see" any CD-R's or pre-recorded CD'S when inserted) - but it appears to be a defective unit (replacement comes tomorrow from Outpost)

iBorg
MacBook Pro 2.33GHz, 15.4" Glossy, 160GB - and loving it!

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2000, 03:55 AM

Forgive me for my lack of knowledge of firmware updates. I don't know much about them.

Does a firmware update stay in the ROM or BIOS? I'm planning on reinstalling my FireWire 'Book tomorrow, and am wondering if the firmware update will stay on the system, even after I initialize the disk. Is it something that may be flashed onto the ROM?

Thanks for your help. I'm going to update my system tomorrow, and I'll tell you what I find.

anly
Forum Regular
Jul 5, 2000, 05:23 AM

FYI:
The firmware updates your PB, and no matter if the internal rechargeable battery is dead or not, its not going to effect/change anything. It stores software into a special Flash ROM chip. Just use AC power when doing a firmware update to prevent corruption...

anly

[This message has been edited by anly (edited 07-05-2000).]
Past Love:
Apple II, Mac SI, PB Duo, Pismo, iMac G4, Digital Audio
iMac Rev.A 256MB OSX10.3
PB 17" Rev. C 1.5Ghz
Current:
MacBook 2.0Ghz 10.5.2
MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 17" 10.5.2

blot
Forum Regular
Jul 5, 2000, 06:48 AM

My Pismo 500 came with the updated firmware... no major problems noticed so far.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2000, 11:06 AM

When did you get your PowerBook? I bought mine about two weeks ago. Would it have the updated firmware?

Thanks again!

doughead
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2000, 12:12 PM

I have a Pismo 500 PowerBook, and I did install the firmware update... no problems whatsoever. The one thing it did for my 'Book' was enable booting from firewire devices (which was previously impossible).

blot
Forum Regular
Jul 5, 2000, 02:25 PM

Check your Apple System Profiler, under System Profile, Production information. If your Boot ROM version is $0003.24f1 then you don't need the firmware update.

Anway you can run the frimware update and it will tell you whether the update is needed or not - that's how I discovered my 2 month+ Pismo which I purchased in Singapore was already updated.

TheMacfanatic
Jul 5, 2000, 06:13 PM

For one can we please stop calling these "Pismo" PowerBooks. They are not in fact Pismo.

Apple is still developing what will be termed Pismo. The whole basis of the name is in reference to the clam shell like enclosure (like the iBook) that it will have. The case was not ready in time when the FireWire books were ready so Apple did not release the full "Pismo".

Ahh, now that I got that out. There are very rare occurances that a firware update will cause any real problems. Because the technology they use is "flash" updating you can actually reverse some of these updates. You would just need the lower Firware application. Good luck finding one from Apple.

I updated by FireWire PB and have had no known errors because of it. As with all changes to your system, BACK UP anything of importance before making them.

A Different Tom
Jul 5, 2000, 06:21 PM

I don't know...

I had a bad experience with the iMac firmware update, and now a PowerBook G3 (FireWire) I applied a firmware update to doesn't seem to want to boot!

iBorg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2000, 07:59 PM

Hmmm.....I got my Pismo 500 recently, only about a month ago (and since ALL the Mac sites still call this unit 'Pismo,' I'll still call it as such also, unless we find that "TheMacfanatic" is an Apple engineer working on the ACTUAL 'Pismo' powerbook-to-come, OK? ), and Apple System Profiler lists my Boot ROM version as $0003.23f1, so I guess mine didn't come with Firmware 2.4.

Anyway, having heard problems from the iMac firmware update 2.4, I'm leary of updating it quite yet, thus the reason for this topic. Hopefully we'll have input from some more PowerBook owners. For now, I'll wait.

As far as firmware updates "rarely causing problems," I think this is probably true. The downside of a firmware update, however, is not necessarily problems that ensue, but rather changes in the way the unit works that may be undesirable (e.g. the famous firmware update for B&W G3's that prevented doing a G4 upgrade - not technically a "problem," but certainly an undesirable alteration from the buyer's standpoint!)

As far as being able to do a startup from Firewire devices, I thought that was part of what the FIREWIRE update 2.4 (from 2.3.3) was for.

iBorg

[This message has been edited by iBorg (edited 07-05-2000).]

fire2000
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2000, 02:04 AM

Apple actualy refers to them as a PowerBook (FireWire) anyway I got my PowerBook about 2 months ago it allready had the firmware update, it seems fine nothing unusual. Recently it seems to have developed a bad processor, but the part is backordered so i'm stuck with it crashing constantly.

iBorg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 6, 2000, 03:30 AM

fire2000,

You're correct in Apple's "official" nomenclature for public use. But we all seem to enjoy using their internal codewords, otherwise there are NO "official" Macs called "Wallstreet," "PDQ," "Lombard," "Sawtooth," etc. It's all part of the good-natured pretence that we really know what-the-hell is going on inside the labs of Cupertino!!!

I wonder when the 2.4 firmware was released - I've downloaded it (just haven't installed it yet!) - it was dated "June 13." My 'Book is only 1 month old, but could have been sitting in a warehouse somewhere for awhile longer!

Anyone having problems (or seeing problems resolved) with Firmware 2.4 upgrade, please let us know!

iBorg

P
Jul 6, 2000, 04:34 AM

The main problem I have with the FirmWare update is that the machine sometimes won't boot if I have a lot of USB equipment installed. Zapping the Pram cures it, though.

Generally, the rule is not to fix what's not broken. The Firmware update will:

* Cure some USB-problems
* Enable boot from Firewire drives.

And while I'm at it, let's bring up that Pismo stuff as well:

Pismo was indeed named after a beach with a lot of shells, and the name was likely inspired by the clamshell-type case. That case was sinced dumped - for heat reasons, I believe - but the motherboard that was designed for it shipped in the old enclosure.

The heart of the question is: Was Pismo the code for the motherboard, like Sawtooth (Current G4) and Yosemite (B&W G3), or the case, like El Capitan (the tower case we all know and love)?

Personally, I name computers after their motherboards, meaning the current Powerbook is Pismo. My iMac DV is Kihei. If I tear out the motherboard and put it in an old iMac case, it's still Kihei. It's still Kihei even if i put in my old Performa 5300. The motherboard _is_ the computer. The case most certainly is not.

IMHO
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Michael S
Jul 6, 2000, 08:03 AM

This is old news, but the PowerBook Firewire 2000 is Pismo. The case may have been altered "last minute", but there are two leftover references with the word "Pismo" in Apple TILs regarding this machine. And since the Powerbook with firewire ports- code named Pismo- was to be the next 'book released, the 'book released is Pismo.
I can't recall the URLs now, since that whole discussion took place months ago.
(Check Go2Mac's message board. I believe I posted them in there).
But rest assured, the laptop with the codename "Pismo" is what we own.
There may be a next-gen case coming eventually, but I'm sure Apple gives it a new codename (Mercury?).
And if really isn't Pismo, then who cares - if this isn't "Pismo", than there will be no Pismo - since Apple isn't going to re-use a codename...

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 6, 2000, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by TheMacfanatic:
For one can we please stop calling these "Pismo" PowerBooks. They are not in fact Pismo.

Apple is still developing what will be termed Pismo. The whole basis of the name is in reference to the clam shell like enclosure (like the iBook) that it will have. The case was not ready in time when the FireWire books were ready so Apple did not release the full "Pismo".
Be that as it may, EVEN APPLE calls it the Pismo in internal documentation (only recently did they remove the word Pismo from the Powerbook (FireWire)'s developers' tech notes.

Also, if Pismo wasn't its code name, then what was it? I find it impossible to believe that Apple would NOT give it a code name, and if Apple did, then I am certain we'd know about it.

tooki

TheWheel
Jul 6, 2000, 12:22 PM

I decided to update the firmware on my Pismo(actually the 400MHz model - not that it makes any difference) as soon as it came out. You may call me brave or stupid if you like! The only slight problem that I discovered was that I was using my machine with an external mouse and keyboard and the firmware update would not start when I rebooted with the Command and Power keys held down. The obvious solution was to remove the externals and reboot holding the Cmd+Power on the built in keyboard. I had no other problems and the machine has worked without trouble ever since.

Forum Links
Forum Rules